CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Body kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Body kit

Hi I used to have the older lorinser kit for my car but recently got in an accident so i might as well replace it with a new one

I just want to know what you guys think

the Lorinser Edition DTM style kit or the Carlsson RS kit?

So far most of the guys I know say the RS kit but all the girls say the Lorinser

So should I go for the punani or a more racing look

What do you guys think of the kits personally?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2002, 06:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
kits are awesome.. but make sure you have the right rims to compliment your kit..

btw, what rims do you have? that would help me personally :P
Old 12-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to clear up any confusion about the Carlsson RS kit...

Originally a very limited amount were made, and no new ones have been produced in the last 3 years (verified by Carlsson). If someone tries to sell you a RS kit, it is most likely a replica.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:52 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go with the Lorinser!
Old 12-23-2002, 02:59 PM

CLK 320
I have Carlsson 1/6 EVO rims but am planning to sell them for either the Lorinser LM5, Brabus Monoblock 6 or my favourite Monoblock 5

Mach430: I did not know that Carlsson did not produce anymore RS kits... actually an acquaintance said he could sell me a RS kit if I wanted but this might actually deter me from doing so

My current kit is an original and I noticed with a previous accident that the body shop people easily fixed it. With a fake I heard the fiberglass easily cracks and cant be mended
is this true? what's the main reasons for not going for a replica kit?

I know for certain though, that I would never trust a replica rim just incase one day driving; the rim collapses becauase its made of paper
Old 12-25-2002, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
I think Lorinser DTM would be the way to go

we have that one on ours
Old 12-25-2002, 04:00 AM

just outta curiosity.. can most ppl differentiate authentic kit to replica kit? what are the pros and cons of the two kits?
ppl often say that fiberglass will crack in a heartbeat if you curb it but wont a authentic kit crack too when curbed? i duno how u spell that word... of the material.. purlyrthene or whtever...
Old 12-25-2002, 04:30 AM

CLK 320
well what my friends here say its hard to tell the difference between a replica and an original
you just have to have an eye for it like a body shop person

concerning accidents, some friends (ive been asking the world recently) have said that original body kits have a bit of rubber in them so if it is dented it can be popped out. With fakes the fiberglass is cheap so once u dent it it will most proberly crack

also i heard some replicas are shaped wrongly and cant be fitted onto the car so it's a bit of a risk wasting a few hundred dollars on a kit that's useless
Old 12-26-2002, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
............I have a Lorinser body kit on my CLk. I chose the classic rather than the DTM version because to me the DTM is a bit much to look at. I think at some angles even the classic Lorinser kit appears a bit too aggressive. Many who have seen the classic and DTM lorinser kits on cars side by side prefer the classic kit. So my point is that before putting the DTM kit on your car, take a look at the classic kit also.

Ted
Old 12-27-2002, 01:06 AM

MB SL55, MB S55, Porsche 997.1, BMW M6, BMW X5, Audi B8 S4
Originally posted by ach7ung
well what my friends here say its hard to tell the difference between a replica and an original
you just have to have an eye for it like a body shop person
I have experience with both the replica and authentic Carlsson CM60 RS kits. I have personally seen the kit from Indra and Fiberworks. I have seen detailed pictures of another kit fabricated in Indonesia (like Indra's and Fiberworks) and also a kit made in NY. I recently got an authentic kit for my CLK55 on Christmas Eve.

IMHO, I can clearly see the differences between the authentic and replicas. The authentic kit has a better outer skin (replicas have more occurrences of waviness, pin holes, voids, etc), better fit (minimal gapping between kit and original panel, better substructure (authentic is a lay-up vs. chopped glass/resin for most replicas; authentic has more back up structure as well)

Since the authentic kit is rare and difficult to find, very few people have seen the authentic kit and don't have a good benchmark to do a comparison. Here's a quick check list of things I would look for
1) A clean Carlsson name and number on each piece
2) Check to see if it was a Kevlar/Fiberglass/Resin layup
3) A good surface finish (very little waviness (clearly seen on the lower portion of the front bumper), inclusions, pinholes and voids)
4) Good fit between the kit and original body panels

Note: There is one common fit problem. Both kits have fit problems around the headlights. The authentic kit does fit better but is not perfect. Also with a lot of time and money, a replica kit can be worked to make detection difficult.

If you are on a tight budget and not that picky, the replica may work for you. It's thousands less in cost and may meet your expectations. It is much easier to locate than the authentic. If your standards are very high, the cost of the work on the replica will be a lot. An authentic may be a better choice if you can find one. I have a fairly well developed network in the aftermarket industry and it still took me over two months.

I'll be working on the kit over the next week and can provide more insight into the differences between the two. If you are still interested in this kit, email me and I will pass on what I have learned. This is my opinion based on my personal experience and others may have a different opinion. I like the Lorinser kit too, but I prefer the Carlsson CM60 RS kit.

Derek
Old 12-27-2002, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by DC@neowerkes
I have experience with both the replica and authentic Carlsson CM60 RS kits. I have personally seen the kit from Indra and Fiberworks. I have seen detailed pictures of another kit fabricated in Indonesia (like Indra's and Fiberworks) and also a kit made in NY. I recently got an authentic kit for my CLK55 on Christmas Eve.

IMHO, I can clearly see the differences between the authentic and replicas. The authentic kit has a better outer skin (replicas have more occurrences of waviness, pin holes, voids, etc), better fit (minimal gapping between kit and original panel, better substructure (authentic is a lay-up vs. chopped glass/resin for most replicas; authentic has more back up structure as well)

Since the authentic kit is rare and difficult to find, very few people have seen the authentic kit and don't have a good benchmark to do a comparison. Here's a quick check list of things I would look for
1) A clean Carlsson name and number on each piece
2) Check to see if it was a Kevlar/Fiberglass/Resin layup
3) A good surface finish (very little waviness (clearly seen on the lower portion of the front bumper), inclusions, pinholes and voids)
4) Good fit between the kit and original body panels

Note: There is one common fit problem. Both kits have fit problems around the headlights. The authentic kit does fit better but is not perfect. Also with a lot of time and money, a replica kit can be worked to make detection difficult.

If you are on a tight budget and not that picky, the replica may work for you. It's thousands less in cost and may meet your expectations. It is much easier to locate than the authentic. If your standards are very high, the cost of the work on the replica will be a lot. An authentic may be a better choice if you can find one. I have a fairly well developed network in the aftermarket industry and it still took me over two months.

I'll be working on the kit over the next week and can provide more insight into the differences between the two. If you are still interested in this kit, email me and I will pass on what I have learned. This is my opinion based on my personal experience and others may have a different opinion. I like the Lorinser kit too, but I prefer the Carlsson CM60 RS kit.

lets see some pics man!!

Derek
Old 12-27-2002, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by tango
did you get ur rs kit brand new or used?
wana show us some pics?
Old 12-27-2002, 02:44 AM

did you get ur rs kit brand new or used?
wana show us some pics?
Tango,
I bought a used kit. Sure, I'll post pics. I'm deciding/waiting on my wheels, suspension and a few other misc items. I'm also making a few mods to the kit so it will probably take me a few weeks.

Derek
Old 12-27-2002, 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!

I've seen the original/authentic one and it looks amazing! I know a guy who sells them but not sure if he still has them in stock. This guy is from burbank. Actually got my headlamp rings from him and he showed me the CM60 RS Kit and it looked really nice. He should me that it was authentic because of the Carlsson name on the bottom with the number on it. I believe he is selling it for around $5-6k but again not sure.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:13 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by DC@neowerkes
Sure, I'll post pics. I'm deciding/waiting on my wheels, suspension and a few other misc items. I'm also making a few mods to the kit so it will probably take me a few weeks.

Derek
Hey Derek!

Mind if i ask you what kind of wheels and suspensions you're getting? What else you got coming on your 55?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2002, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by JamE55
Hey Derek!

Mind if i ask you what kind of wheels and suspensions you're getting? What else you got coming on your 55?

Thanks!
James,
I'm working on a set of HRE 540s and haven't made up my mind on the suspension yet. Decisions.... decisions... decisions.

I've worked with other European cars in the past and I'm getting up to speed on the MBs. The selection and availability of aftermarket items are somewhat limited for MBs. The shops, like Evosport, Supreme Power Parts, Rennsport and Wheelexperts have been very helpful.

I also got Brembos front brakes to put on. I'm looking at a few other aero options. In my dreams I see KLEEMAN under my hood (attention Brad, Vadim, Simon and Ben... I'll contact you guys if I ever figure out how to make this happen.... Mach430 is a beast). For now, I'm just going to go slow on the mods and spend time learning about MBs.

Derek
Old 12-28-2002, 01:01 AM
Out Of Control!

Derek

That's great! You won't be dissapointed on the 540's I have a few pics which is located on the detailing forum if you would like to look at them. As far as the kleemann again you won't be dissappointed. I'd like to see your car when you are done with your mods. It'll be awsome!
Old 12-28-2002, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by JamE55
Derek

That's great! You won't be dissapointed on the 540's I have a few pics which is located on the detailing forum if you would like to look at them. As far as the kleemann again you won't be dissappointed. I'd like to see your car when you are done with your mods. It'll be awsome!
The Kleeman is a far of dream, I'll probably be working on my next car before having the funds to get the Kleeman.

I plan to join the MB guys at the local meets and car shows. I need to get my Benz together first. I could show up in my other cars but I may get booted. I have a '67 427 Corvette and a Bimmer. I'm joking, the MB guys are cool, I met a bunch of guys at an Irvine meet last year (Benzsport and MBworld members)

Derek
Old 12-28-2002, 02:18 AM

yo jame55 pm!
Old 12-28-2002, 03:08 AM

CLK 320
Thanks Derek for your help
Old 12-28-2002, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by ach7ung
Thanks Derek for your help
Sure, no problem. Over the past 3 months, I've looked at a lot of kits. I had similar questions. The various shops and board members help me out in a big way.

Personally I like the Carlsson, followed by the Expression kit (like Mach430) and then the Lorinser. They all look great and even better in person. Since you have already seen the Lorinser kit, you might want to see the other kits. Since you are in Southern California, you could see Ben's Expression kit, LowRyder's Carlsson kit or my Carlsson kit. I know both Ben and Bruce, they would gladly show their cars to another MB guy. Also take a look at the FAB kit.

Just some friendly advice. You should really choose what you like. You know best what looks good to you and will fit within your budget. We can help advise you on the fit and finish. if you have any questions feel free to post or email me.

Derek
Old 12-30-2002, 10:38 AM
Out Of Control!

yo jame55 pm!
got it! check yo's!