CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Bose Sound System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 230K Cabriolet 2000
Bose Sound System

Does anyone here know the specs for the Bose sound system? I ordered this as an upgrade from the standard Merc sound system (Audio 10) when I ordered the car.

According to the brochure, the Bose system includes a microphone to measure ambient sound levels and adjusts the sound output accordingly. Apparently, the standard merc system has simply a speed related adjustment. I assumed that the Bose system would be able to detect increased ambient sound levels, particularly with the top down, and increase the sound output.

However, mine does not do this. The local dealer has been arguing about the Bose specs for some months now and basically is telling me that the speed activated control is all that I should have. However, I do not even have this. The dealer has finally admitted that I do not have the speed activated control and is prepared to fix that, but, still will not admit that this is not what the Bose system should have.

I'm almost at my wits end, I'm pretty well fed up with having to adjust the volume manually every time I speed up or slow down, or I go through a tunnel or some other noisy environment.

Please, what should the Bose upgraded sound system have comprised? I note that the brochure says that the Bose system includes 7 speakers, and I have 7, but I am now lead to believe that the standard merc system also has 7.

The upgrade cost US$1,000 and seems to be for nothing

Graham Hicks
Old 01-16-2002, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
We do not get the CLK 230 in the USA

1. All 2002 coupes have 8 speakers in the CLK 320, 430, AMG55.

2. All 2002 cabriolets have 6 speakers plus 1 high efficieny woofer.

3. All 6 models - coupes/cabs - have the automatic speed-sensitive volume adjustment.

These are the standard bose systems here in the USA.

It sounds terrific in my coupe. Radio reception is also outstanding!

I am not aware of any UPGRADE options here, other than aftermarket equipment...

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:24 AM

CLK 230K Cabriolet 2000
karl k

Maybe the standard system in the US is different to that here in Hong Kong. The local dealer says that the speed-sensitive volume adjustment is a standard feature of all merc sound systems. The brochure said that the bose system, which is an optional extra, should be different, but I cannot find out from the dealer now what those differences should be.

Graham Hicks
Old 01-17-2002, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
gray:

Here in the USA, if the dealer does not have the answer, we call MB: 1-800-FOR-MERC.

Perhaps a similar Mercedes info # exists in Hong Kong.

Don't do what this irate MB owner did next door in the PRC!! :o

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=1849
Old 01-17-2002, 05:45 PM

CLK 55
Do the CLK`s have a subwoofer? The bass response is pretty good for a factory system. I can`t seem to find a sub if there is one.

2002 CLK55
Old 01-17-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
i guess my expectations or standards for a car's sound system are different from you guys cuz i thought the stock bose system sucked bigtime. my old car (90 maxima) had a better factory sound system. i absolutely was against the idea of changing it, but i eventually could not live w/ it and replaced the whole damn thing. as for the bass, i simply is just distorted once you start cranking it up. and charging me $1000 for a mb cd-changer, NO THANK YOU! try $250 for a 12 disc Alpine cd changer .

B
Old 01-17-2002, 09:26 PM

CLK 55
I said for a "factory" system, it`s good. I had a 91 Maxima back then, it was Bose, and IT SUCKED. The MB system blows it away. Nothing however can compete with aftermarket. What kind of music do you listen to, that it sucks so bad???
Old 01-18-2002, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
my earlier partial
1. All 2002 coupes have 8 speakers in the CLK 320, 430, AMG55.

2. All 2002 cabriolets have 6 speakers plus 1 high efficieny woofer.
The CABs have the high efficiency woofer mounted in the center between the back seats on the floor. The coupes have the "pseudo-woofers" build into the doors.

The Bose system is 140 watts, according to my MB dealer. It sounds GREAT! I prefer mostly symphonic/orchestral music, and I enjoy the full audio range: 1812 overture with bells & canons; other orchestral pieces, cymbals, violins, trumpets, kettle drums...including the Bach fugue for organ - a real test for ANY sound system! Radio reception is outstanding!

I do not need more bass and/or decibels, because I do not want to blow my eardrums. Additionally, I do not have to impress the neighborhood.

Last year I had a C5 2001 Corvette with a bose system, Delco standard radio, built in antenna.

The radio reception in the Vette was atrocious. The sound quality did not come close to the 2002 CLK55 standard system. The CLK's audio system is truly outstanding for my listening enjoyment!
Old 01-18-2002, 04:38 AM

i listen to everything. hip hop music/rap music does probably get the most heavy rotation from my system. i must repeat that the factory system DOES SUCK! the music would start distorting when cranking up the volume at levels high enough to hear your music when you have the windows open. the bass response was pathetic. i even used a competition frequency testing cd and anything below 100hz sounded like sh*t.

B
Old 01-18-2002, 08:23 PM

CLK 230K Cabriolet 2000
Since my last post, I located the Bose website and searched for car audio systems. Bose are saying that they designed the sound system for the CLK in conjunction with MB as standard equipment. That means it should not be an optional extra.

The website does not detail the specification, but I have sent them an email asking for the specs, hope I get a reply.

In the meantime, MB China Ltd say that, as far as China is concerned, MB do not install the Bose system as standard - hard to understand that. Why go to the expense of designing the CLK in conjunction with Bose and then not install the standard system for one small market?

As for the varying opinions on the quality of the sound system, I find the system poor. I get nothing out of the high-efficiency sub-woofer. The only bass response - if you can call it that - comes from the door units and these vibrate badly if I boost the bass levels. I gave up on that some time ago.

I took a closer look at the sub-woofer unit. In the cab, there is a very small rectangular speaker grill under the rear arm rest, but this is not the actual speaker grill. The speaker unit lies some way behind it and is a fairly large round driver using the trunk as a booster. This ought to output decent levels of bass.

I mostly play rock and blues, Lauren Hill's hip-hop album is impossible to listen to due to the severe distortion in the bass. I will try some Bach fugues today, as karl k says, that should be a good test.

Graham Hicks
Old 01-18-2002, 08:32 PM

yes yes. so true. miseducation of lauren hill. try listening to cant take my eyes off of you. you will be pissed off within 30 sec of the song. another thing i forgot to mention was the volume compensator, it drives me nuts because it never compensates correctly. id rather do it myself....

B