CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Custom 4.3L forged and sleeved!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged CLK430 street/show car
Custom 4.3L forged and sleeved!

As some of you are aware I have been asking alot of questions regarding engines, swaps,internals etc for a possible engine build project! I wanted to confirm if the 4.3L M113 was an open deck and how is it different compared to the W211 E55 K in terms of strength and features. If it is in fact an open deck I might be leaning towards sleeving the 4.3L and installing balanced and forged crankshaft, rods, pistons,bearings etc! I would then try to run the Eaton MP112 at max which I believe is 12 lbs if the adiabatic heat doesnt kill me!

Thanks for any info!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Have you considered picking up a used 55K motor and dropping that in instead??

-Ghost

Originally Posted by nastyclk
As some of you are aware I have been asking alot of questions regarding engines, swaps,internals etc for a possible engine build project! I wanted to confirm if the 4.3L M113 was an open deck and how is it different compared to the W211 E55 K in terms of strength and features. If it is in fact an open deck I might be leaning towards sleeving the 4.3L and installing balanced and forged crankshaft, rods, pistons,bearings etc! I would then try to run the Eaton MP112 at max which I believe is 12 lbs if the adiabatic heat doesnt kill me!

Thanks for any info!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesnt the motor already have a forged crank and rods? I also heard the pistons were forged as well although I thought they were cast? I have a old m104 pushing over 350hp to the rear wheels with just a thick headgasket and a turbo. Theres no other enigne modification. I even run a stock intake. On thursday I'm in to see if I can get 400+ rwhp and rwtq on pump gas.

If you want a powerful V8 benz a remote mounted turbo would be a much easier route. I've built a rear mount exhaust for a e55 for my mechanic by basically hacking off the rear muffler and attaching a divided T4 flange to the two pipes.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 PM

forged crank, and rods!

Based on my recent research the crankshaft is forged steel, how much hp do you think this would be able to withstand? The rods are also hydraulically broken then assembled to ad strength, any idea how strong these are also? The pistons I think are just plain old aluminum.
Your m104 is an inline 6 which are known for their structural integrity and great for makinf reliable power even in stock form, good luck with your upgrade!

Last edited by nastyclk; 12-15-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Based on my recent research the crankshaft is forged steel, how much hp do you think this would be able to withstand? The rods are also hydraulically broken then assembled to ad strength, any idea how strong these are also? The pistons I think are just plain old aluminum.
Your m104 is an inline 6 which are known for their structural integrity and great for makinf reliable power even in stock form, good luck with your upgrade!
Crank and rods would be ok, the pistons however are pressure cast alum just short of forged. But for a SC/turbo you should go low compression forged pistons, I would not sleeve (save that for second generation) And yes open deck. Block 113 I have not heard of any bottom end problems I think the 430 has 4 bolt mains (e55K has 6 bolt mains) I would say all things considered 500 FW HP would be ok for both the engine and trans.
What fuel system are you considering?

Last edited by Yacht Master; 12-15-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:20 PM

Not sure on the fuel system.

I might try to run the stock system with upgraded injectors and fuel pump on a LET ecu tune.Why are you against iron sleeving? I would think running 12LBS of boost on an open deck I would need to strengthen it? I am open to all suggestions, several mb members heads are better than one!

P.S. in your last post did you mean RWHP (rear wheel HP)?

Last edited by nastyclk; 12-15-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Do you know of "blackbenzz's car? I find a link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...55-record.html

FW flywheel HP
RWHP rear wheel

Last edited by Yacht Master; 12-16-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2008, 06:30 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Call Brandon at Kleemann USA. The're running a special on their blower. Right now.

That blower will give your 4.3 about 500 HP at the crank. It's cheaper, easier, and more real than your dreams. Oh, excuse me, maybe you want MORE power than that. OK, chase away, but think TRACTION every once and while, for old time's sake. Get the LSD, get the coilovers, then come back crying for more HP.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 PM

dont post on my damn thread if your going to be rude!

I dont know if its me but didnt that last post seem rude!
I already have a blower, coilovers, with plans of upgrading drive shaft, transmission rear end etc!Thanks for that completely useless bit of knowledge if your going to make rude comments do it on another thread!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I would be worried about the 430 trans holding up. You have big plans, Ted Baldwin has built and sleeved his 55 block. I have not been able to contact him in a long time though Wish I could since he has alot of knowledge about our cars that noone else has. If you are in NOVA we can meet up and discuss different paths and I can tell you what I've learned from my research.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Are you thinking of boring out the cylinders and sleeving back to 4.3L and leaving everything the same as factory specs (only upgraded), i.e. bore, stroke, piston size etc.?? I as because in the W211 E55 forum they tried to do a 5.7L upgrade on a 55K motor that didn't work out.

There was a member, Sleestack that tried to do a 6.1L upgrade along with a Kleemann blower. He ended up with upgraded forged internals and the blower.

I might try to run the stock system with upgraded injectors and fuel pump on a LET ecu tune.Why are you against iron sleeving? I would think running 12LBS of boost on an open deck I would need to strengthen it? I am open to all suggestions, several mb members heads are better than one!

P.S. in your last post did you mean RWHP (rear wheel HP)?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM

Located in Fredericksburg, VA

It would be great to meet up, I could see the black beast in person! Yeah I heard you had you tranny upgraded by Southern H@t R@d. How much is it rated at now and how much did that run you, if you dont mind me asking, you can pm with the info. What upgrades did you do to your whole suspension and powertrain? Im assuming custom drive shaft, axles, rear end?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:39 PM

Yes ghostrider

I want to sleeve it to 4.3L. I want to keep the engine OEM but strengthen and upgrade everything. This way it is easier to tune and I dont have unexpected problems with software, and fueling etc.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
It would be great to meet up, I could see the black beast in person! Yeah I heard you had you tranny upgraded by Southern H@t R@d. How much is it rated at now and how much did that run you, if you dont mind me asking, you can pm with the info. What upgrades did you do to your whole suspension and powertrain? Im assuming custom drive shaft, axles, rear end?
Yea that would be cool. We can compare notes too. They didn't really give me a power rating. They said that I would never have to worry about the trans again There are SRT8's running around making 1100whp/wtq with this trans in it It was almost $5k, dont remember the exact numbers. $4899 maybe? My car really doesn't have much interms of drivetrain and the suspension isn't setup for drag racing (KW v.2's) since I liek to drive it on th estreet and road course too. All I have is the quaife LSD and a modified torque converter. Axles are a weak link for me. I broke 3 already (two weeks back to back!). I sent out an axle to southern hot rod over a month ago but nothing has been made yet. Driveshaftshop told me to send them a sample and they will make me one. But I'm still waiting to hear back from Southern. I think the next weakest link would either be the driveshaft or the gears in the diff Only time will tell... if I even get back out to the track again.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:03 PM

I know someone who can build good driveshafts and axles!

I have the same setup in suspension I dont want to sacrifice my road handling ability either. I still need to upgrade my brakes to AMG. I have a guy who built my custom driveshaft for my Jeep wrangler with a 350 small block in it. If you want me to do some research and talk to him for you its no problem!

Last edited by nastyclk; 12-16-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I have the same setup in suspension I dont want to sacrifice my road handling ability either. I still need to upgrade my brakes to AMG. I have a guy who built my custom driveshaft for my Jeep wrangler with a 350 small block in it. If you want me to do some research and talk to him for you its no problem!
Nice. Is this guy local? I have a broken 430 axle you can use. ts thicker and slightly (mm's) longer than a 55 axle
Old 12-16-2008, 02:41 PM

Yeah

Yeah he is local! He builds really good stuff, for example. I have a 350 in my jeep wrangler with lifted suspension etc. It is making around 390 hp to crank. One day I am driving and my drive shaft straps broke which are what connect the drive shaft universal joint to the differential. The drive shaft then got wedged under my chasis and instead of breaking or bending it ripped my upgraded tranny housing in half and destroyed my transfer case which both are from chevy 1500 to 3500 work trucks that are very strong! The drive shaft received a few scratches thats it.

Do you have any info on this TED Baldwin guy? Im pretty good at finding people.
I too would love to talk with him!

Last edited by nastyclk; 12-16-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Hey BB if you check out Finny's thread he said the diff is the next weak point. What can be done to upgrade the diff??

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Yea that would be cool. We can compare notes too. They didn't really give me a power rating. They said that I would never have to worry about the trans again There are SRT8's running around making 1100whp/wtq with this trans in it It was almost $5k, dont remember the exact numbers. $4899 maybe? My car really doesn't have much interms of drivetrain and the suspension isn't setup for drag racing (KW v.2's) since I liek to drive it on th estreet and road course too. All I have is the quaife LSD and a modified torque converter. Axles are a weak link for me. I broke 3 already (two weeks back to back!). I sent out an axle to southern hot rod over a month ago but nothing has been made yet. Driveshaftshop told me to send them a sample and they will make me one. But I'm still waiting to hear back from Southern. I think the next weakest link would either be the driveshaft or the gears in the diff Only time will tell... if I even get back out to the track again.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
You can search him in the Member List. I believe he was working on a twin turbo for his W210 E55. The plan was to sleeve the cylinders decreasing the bore, the get custom pistons and all that. I just remember him scrapping the project.

Which makes me think your idea is the best way to go!!

Yeah he is local! He builds really good stuff, for example. I have a 350 in my jeep wrangler with lifted suspension etc. It is making around 390 hp to crank. One day I am driving and my drive shaft straps broke which are what connect the drive shaft universal joint to the differential. The drive shaft then got wedged under my chasis and instead of breaking or bending it ripped my upgraded tranny housing in half and destroyed my transfer case which both are from chevy 1500 to 3500 work trucks that are very strong! The drive shaft received a few scratches thats it.

Do you have any info on this TED Baldwin guy? Im pretty good at finding people.
I too would love to talk with him!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Hey BB if you check out Finny's thread he said the diff is the next weak point. What can be done to upgrade the diff??
I posted in his thread. I need more specifics of exactly what part of the diff was chewed up. Apparently he didn't have an LSD in the car. When putting a quaife in, it beefs up alot of the internal components of the diff. I can only think of the main gear being grinded down in a car with a quaife unit
Old 12-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
You can search him in the Member List. I believe he was working on a twin turbo for his W210 E55. The plan was to sleeve the cylinders decreasing the bore, the get custom pistons and all that. I just remember him scrapping the project.

Which makes me think your idea is the best way to go!!
He ended up scrapping the turbo project but still but custom rods and pistons in to lower c/r and sleeved the block. He also switched to a 8 rib pulley system and raised the boost to 16PSI! There is a thread about it somewhere. FYI - I am only running ~8PSI, imagine 16PSI, albeit with lower c/r
Old 12-16-2008, 04:04 PM

SS Minnow Johnson
my CLK was stolen this past Aug before i could get to ur guys level. but everything mentioned here is wat was in store for my w208. keep this convo going im learning a lot and maybe considering getting another CLK for this exact build.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
16 PSI!!!!

Is that what you are thinking of doing next??

He ended up scrapping the turbo project but still but custom rods and pistons in to lower c/r and sleeved the block. He also switched to a 8 rib pulley system and raised the boost to 16PSI! There is a thread about it somewhere. FYI - I am only running ~8PSI, imagine 16PSI, albeit with lower c/r
Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Then what would be the upgrade from there?? Take the Quaife out, cryo treat it, then put it back in??

I posted in his thread. I need more specifics of exactly what part of the diff was chewed up. Apparently he didn't have an LSD in the car. When putting a quaife in, it beefs up alot of the internal components of the diff. I can only think of the main gear being grinded down in a car with a quaife unit
Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Yeah, that sucks!! What did you replace it with?

Originally Posted by tnb1786
my CLK was stolen this past Aug before i could get to ur guys level. but everything mentioned here is wat was in store for my w208. keep this convo going im learning a lot and maybe considering getting another CLK for this exact build.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom 4.3L forged and sleeved!