CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Straight pipes on CLK / Advice need it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom CLK / 05 E500 4matic / 04 Acura TL <<Daily
Straight pipes on CLK / Advice need it

To make the story short and eazy My CLK has been a stop since the end of the last summer, I drove it for the first time like 2 weeks ago and the car was not responding like it should, I first thought it was my engine but after doing some test we came in concusion that it was not. Car performs good at low speeds but once you hit 45 mph the car would feel very heavy with lack of power and the sound was horrible it sounded like it was out of tune or something like that. Took it to my friends shop and after doing some testing with the car we realize the source of the problem was the Catalyc Converter (Cats) So we remove the cats and the exhaust and we drove it like that and bingo the car starting to responded like it should. So im thinking on running straight pipes but what im not sure about it is whats going to happen with the 02 sensors? Does anyone has done this or have some experience please advice since i got the car in the shop as we speak and im trying to figured out what to do, thanks in advance....
Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
bump for freddy...i needa know tooooo....and yo call me fker...
Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
bump for freddy...i needa know tooooo....and yo call me fker...
My bad Hersh i was eating dinner when you call me yesterday, I'm going to call you like around 7pm today
Old 05-03-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
Are you wanting to remove all 4 cats? Did you remove all four or just two when you were addressing the issue?

If so, I believe the 02 sensors will be affected. I do believe you can get these deals which fool the sensors into thinking they cats are still there. I cant remember what they are called but when installed it wont trip a CEL.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
I think they are called oxygen sensor simulators.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by acb3nz
To make the story short and eazy My CLK has been a stop since the end of the last summer, I drove it for the first time like 2 weeks ago and the car was not responding like it should, I first thought it was my engine but after doing some test we came in concusion that it was not. Car performs good at low speeds but once you hit 45 mph the car would feel very heavy with lack of power and the sound was horrible it sounded like it was out of tune or something like that. Took it to my friends shop and after doing some testing with the car we realize the source of the problem was the Catalyc Converter (Cats) So we remove the cats and the exhaust and we drove it like that and bingo the car starting to responded like it should. So im thinking on running straight pipes but what im not sure about it is whats going to happen with the 02 sensors? Does anyone has done this or have some experience please advice since i got the car in the shop as we speak and im trying to figured out what to do, thanks in advance....

You only need the front two (2) cats for the O2 sensors to work. If you remove all four (4) then you will have to do what Gundo says and get some simulators to wire into the system.

Do you have any state inspections that you have to worry about?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
You only need the front two (2) cats for the O2 sensors to work. If you remove all four (4) then you will have to do what Gundo says and get some simulators to wire into the system.

Do you have any state inspections that you have to worry about?
Thanks for the advice guys, Gundo

Ghostrider I do have state inspections that i have to worry about, just not sure what is the best route to go at this point with out wasting a tons of $$$$ I need the $$$ for new mods
Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
clk55 amg
all you have to do is mount the primary 02's as normal and the secondary 02's couple feet down front the primary's. Then the secondary 02's need to be screwed into a bung that is roughly 2 inches long, instead of the normal half inch long bung. What this does is get the secondary 02's out of the stream so it can send a different signal to the computer. the 02's are a diagnostic tool to let the computer know the cats are not working. As long as the primary and secondary 02's have a different reading , no check engine light.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sold - CLK500
get kleemann headers and glass packs! your car will sound like death!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by acb3nz
Thanks for the advice guys, Gundo

Ghostrider I do have state inspections that i have to worry about, just not sure what is the best route to go at this point with out wasting a tons of $$$$ I need the $$$ for new mods
Is it a visual inspection or a sniff test? Here in Missouri they have a visual inspection but in Texas they do a sniffer in the tail pipe. I passed the test even without secondary cats.

You could also buy my old factory exhaust system...

Last edited by Ghostrider; 05-05-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:14 PM

clk 430
IF I WAS YOU I'D PUT A EXAUST SYSTEM INSTED OF RUNNIN STRIGHT PIPES, I HEARD MAGNA FLOW GIVES A GREAT RESPOND...... CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EApSa...eature=related
Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sick_Made
IF I WAS YOU I'D PUT A EXAUST SYSTEM INSTED OF RUNNIN STRIGHT PIPES, I HEARD MAGNA FLOW GIVES A GREAT RESPOND...... CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EApSa...eature=related
I have an Eisenmann Race exhaust curently install. I think im just going to end up making a custom one not sure quite yet but i will post pictures and videos once i get all together.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 PM

01' CLK55 - 02' IS300 - 97' Ducati 900SSSP - 70' Triumph Tr6c Bonneville
I've been running straight exhaust in a CLK55 since the spring of 06'. No issues. I welded some hangers and a tip onto some tubing left over a few years back.

Last edited by rainspeed; 05-06-2009 at 07:06 PM.