CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Speakers are dead--advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Question Speakers are dead--advice?

Hi, everyone. I went for a drive yesterday and discovered that the speakers on the left side of my car weren't working. All of them, front, back, tweeters--the entire left side was dead. It seems kinda wierd to me. Any suggestions re. how I can troubleshoot this problem? (I've worked on electronics, etc. before, but never in this car and I don't have any kind of manual. The owners manual is in Japanese, which I can't read.)

TIA!

whkento

edit--I forgot to mention that it's an '02 CLK 200K with the factory navigation system and CD changer (in the trunk).
Old 06-10-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure but i think yours would also have an amp in the back. not sure where or what the wiring diagram is but you'll see it here on the forum somewhere. i did mine so long ago i forgot. i would first take the clips in and out to see if its a connection problem. if not take a self amplified speaker and tap into the input to see if the decks puting out anything to the amp. i doubt it would be your speakers since front and back went out at the same time. some factory amps are dual mono blocks so they have power wires for left and right channel check those on the amp as well before you replace it if that is the problem.

ow first things first before doing anything at all........ check the "balance" on the deck first! hehe.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 AM

2001 CLK 320
do you have the fade set to one side lol? it sounds simple enough to forget about
Old 06-10-2009, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by whkento
Hi, everyone. I went for a drive yesterday and discovered that the speakers on the left side of my car weren't working. All of them, front, back, tweeters--the entire left side was dead. It seems kinda wierd to me. Any suggestions re. how I can troubleshoot this problem? (I've worked on electronics, etc. before, but never in this car and I don't have any kind of manual. The owners manual is in Japanese, which I can't read.)

TIA!

whkento

edit--I forgot to mention that it's an '02 CLK 200K with the factory navigation system and CD changer (in the trunk).
This has happened to quite a few of us with the NAV units and for some reason they all fixed themselves after a couple restarts. Mine ended up taking a week but it has been perfect ever since. I hope yours fixes itself as well. I would like to know the exact culprit though!!

Greg
Old 06-11-2009, 12:24 AM

'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Originally Posted by Houman
not sure but i think yours would also have an amp in the back. not sure where or what the wiring diagram is but you'll see it here on the forum somewhere. i did mine so long ago i forgot. i would first take the clips in and out to see if its a connection problem. if not take a self amplified speaker and tap into the input to see if the decks puting out anything to the amp. i doubt it would be your speakers since front and back went out at the same time. some factory amps are dual mono blocks so they have power wires for left and right channel check those on the amp as well before you replace it if that is the problem.

ow first things first before doing anything at all........ check the "balance" on the deck first! hehe.
Originally Posted by rjlawlor646
do you have the fade set to one side lol? it sounds simple enough to forget about
LOL! Yeah, I checked the balance straight off. That's how I figured out which speakers were out.

I think you're right about the amp in the back. I'll get back there and start checking wire connections. I hadn't thought of the self-amplified speaker thing, but that's a good idea

I kinda hope it's the self-fixing thing that Greg described (though that may mean that it'll happen every now and then?) I wasn't aware that it was something happening to a lot of folks.

If I get it figured out I will, of course, let you know what it is/was.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Good news / Bad news

Well, guess what-- I took a short drive yesterday and sure enough, the speakers were working just fine. So, the good news is that everything's working well again. The bad news is that I don't know why it happened. I guess my car has the same little gremlin as a lot of other folks' cars.

Thanks for the replies / advice.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by whkento
Well, guess what-- I took a short drive yesterday and sure enough, the speakers were working just fine. So, the good news is that everything's working well again. The bad news is that I don't know why it happened. I guess my car has the same little gremlin as a lot of other folks' cars.

Thanks for the replies / advice.
I told you to give it some time..I have been told that it may have been some of the amp wires in the trunk since I had actually been working close to that area prior to it going out on me. Were you loading or working in the trunk arra prior to the problem?

In any case I am glad that the (common Gremlin) worked itself out like it did for the rest of us.

Greg
Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Hmmm... yeah, now that you mention it, I recently had the battery replaced back there.

Well, I'm just glad I can listen to my music again.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM

1999 CLK 320 Coupe
on a related note: if just one single speaker is out (the one closest to the seat back in the door), is it possible that the problem could be a wire loose at the amp? i haven't examined the audio system at all, and the only other thing i thought it might be was a wire out on the speaker itself.