CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need access to convertible top motor relay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK430 CABRIO
Need access to convertible top motor relay

I know this relay is in the back of the trunk behind a metal wall. I am trying to remove this metal wall to gain access to the relay which I beleive is the cause of why my top will not open. I opened all the screws on the bottom as well as the 2 screws on top holding the roller cover that must be closed to hold the top in. I know there are more screws higher but I cannot access them due to the fact that the roller cover is still there. Any idea what I need to do to gain access to the screws that need to be opened to reach the relay. I hope it is the relay. The top issue by the way is. I open the latch the windows go down and when I hit the switch I get the slow blink. I check voltage on battery and that is fine I also checked the roll bar and it goes up and down when I hit the switch with no abnormal noises. In the last 2 days prior to the top not working at all it would not always open or close on the 1st try. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 PM

2000 CLK 320 convertible
I have the exact same problem only with my 2000 CLK320. I took one look at all the screws to remove from that metal cover and decided to ask for help as to whether or not there is an easier way to get to that relay.

Please let me know if anyone has the answer to this.

Thanks, dadala
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by MIKECLK430
I know this relay is in the back of the trunk behind a metal wall. I am trying to remove this metal wall to gain access to the relay which I beleive is the cause of why my top will not open. I opened all the screws on the bottom as well as the 2 screws on top holding the roller cover that must be closed to hold the top in. I know there are more screws higher but I cannot access them due to the fact that the roller cover is still there. Any idea what I need to do to gain access to the screws that need to be opened to reach the relay. I hope it is the relay. The top issue by the way is. I open the latch the windows go down and when I hit the switch I get the slow blink. I check voltage on battery and that is fine I also checked the roll bar and it goes up and down when I hit the switch with no abnormal noises. In the last 2 days prior to the top not working at all it would not always open or close on the 1st try. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Roll bar and top use the same relay for main power. Remove the felt strips and the luggage cover will come out. Dont tear at them and you will be able to re-stick upon re assembly. You can swap the fuel relay for the top relay to test.

Originally Posted by dadala
I have the exact same problem only with my 2000 CLK320. I took one look at all the screws to remove from that metal cover and decided to ask for help as to whether or not there is an easier way to get to that relay.

Please let me know if anyone has the answer to this.

Thanks, dadala
No easier way.. just a bunch of bolts... not that bad
Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 PM

2000 CLK 320 convertible
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
Roll bar and top use the same relay for main power. Remove the felt strips and the luggage cover will come out. Dont tear at them and you will be able to re-stick upon re assembly. You can swap the fuel relay for the top relay to test.

No easier way.. just a bunch of bolts... not that bad
Ugh! Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 Convertible
Convertible Top issues

I am having the same issue with the top on my 2002 CLK430 Convertible. We had sort of a warm day here in Florida last week, so I took the top down. When I went to put it back up, I heard a faint motor running but nothing happened. I was forced to take to the dealer and they told me it was the Top Pump(part number 2088000020) and it would be over $3000 including part and labor but could not garantee the issue would be corrected. I only have about 45,000 miles on this car and it had been garaged kept for the most part all its life. Not in a position to spend that kind of money so I have been taking things apart in hopes of finding the part and installing myself. Have hit a dozen road blocks along the way including locking myself out of the trunk. I hav everything apart and want to try the relay test that you suggested. Does everything need to be out back together in order for the test to work? Help. Stranded outside with top halfway open...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 AM

CLK430
I'm still reeling from the dealer that told you it it was the pump (probably not), its $3000 (just stupid), and that isn't guaranteed to fix it! (isn't that why you brought it to a dealer?)

Sometimes I think these guys should just be brought up on fraud charges....
Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM

2000 CLK 320 convertible
Still have not fixed my "top" issue. I am still driving with it closed, and I'm unable to put it down.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by paumurph
I am having the same issue with the top on my 2002 CLK430 Convertible. We had sort of a warm day here in Florida last week, so I took the top down. When I went to put it back up, I heard a faint motor running but nothing happened. I was forced to take to the dealer and they told me it was the Top Pump(part number 2088000020) and it would be over $3000 including part and labor but could not garantee the issue would be corrected. I only have about 45,000 miles on this car and it had been garaged kept for the most part all its life. Not in a position to spend that kind of money so I have been taking things apart in hopes of finding the part and installing myself. Have hit a dozen road blocks along the way including locking myself out of the trunk. I hav everything apart and want to try the relay test that you suggested. Does everything need to be out back together in order for the test to work? Help. Stranded outside with top halfway open...
well if you mean the metal plate... no that need not be installed. You will need to make sure the retractable cover in the trunk is in place or just a simple clip on the micro switch will do. Before starting I would preform the manual operation to stow the cover either up or down first with the operation completed. Otherwise you run the risk of something moving out of sink and causing damage. Remember the trunk MUST be closed

Originally Posted by onlinealias
I'm still reeling from the dealer that told you it it was the pump (probably not), its $3000 (just stupid), and that isn't guaranteed to fix it! (isn't that why you brought it to a dealer?)

Sometimes I think these guys should just be brought up on fraud charges....
Believe it or not I was told the same story word for word!! No I didnt let them touch it and replaced the $6 relay myself!! LOL

Originally Posted by dadala
Still have not fixed my "top" issue. I am still driving with it closed, and I'm unable to put it down.
Did you ever remove the plate and ck the relay and fluid level?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 PM

Thanks Bobby. I went to a couple autozone/pepboy shops to pick up a new relay in hopes that is my only problem. They didn't have a relay so I purchased one from the Mercedes dealer for $70. Installed and put everything back together(with the excception of the metal plate in the trunk). Tried it again from both the up and down top positions(followed the manual top instructions from the owners manual that I finally got my hands on this afternoon.) When I hit the button you can hear the mechanism trying to initiate power and a motor like sounds, but it does not yield a lift or unlock the top storage compartment. This is very frustrating. The pump looks to be in excellent condition with no leaking. The hydraulic fluid reservoir is full. The dealer claims it is the convertible pump/motor per the diagnosis from the "computer" they hooked it up to. Just hard to believe considering this is a 2002 with 45,000 miles garage kept and treated very delicately. Breaks my heart to think about spending $2,300 on a new pump. I did read that someone else had a trunk lock replaced and somehow that fixed the top issue. Just hoping someone has other ideas...thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 01:36 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by paumurph
Thanks Bobby. I went to a couple autozone/pepboy shops to pick up a new relay in hopes that is my only problem. They didn't have a relay so I purchased one from the Mercedes dealer for $70. Installed and put everything back together(with the excception of the metal plate in the trunk). Tried it again from both the up and down top positions(followed the manual top instructions from the owners manual that I finally got my hands on this afternoon.) When I hit the button you can hear the mechanism trying to initiate power and a motor like sounds, but it does not yield a lift or unlock the top storage compartment. This is very frustrating. The pump looks to be in excellent condition with no leaking. The hydraulic fluid reservoir is full. The dealer claims it is the convertible pump/motor per the diagnosis from the "computer" they hooked it up to. Just hard to believe considering this is a 2002 with 45,000 miles garage kept and treated very delicately. Breaks my heart to think about spending $2,300 on a new pump. I did read that someone else had a trunk lock replaced and somehow that fixed the top issue. Just hoping someone has other ideas...thanks
When you operate the top.. are you getting a fast blink from the switch or a steady slow blink?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM

The switch is solid for a little while as it seems to be trying to perform the job, but the latches do not unlock. It then starts to blink slowly.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:50 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Does the rollbar operate? If it were a micro switch you would get the fast blinking. Your fuel pump uses the same relay. May just want to try swapping that relay in too since you know that is a good relay.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 PM

00 CLK 430 Cabriolet
ever resolve your problem? Has anyone replaced the micro switches w some aftermarket ones? Does Mercedes even sell these separately?
Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 PM

1999 CLK320 Cabrio
Smile Great suggestion for rollbar that won't go up.

Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
Does the rollbar operate? If it were a micro switch you would get the fast blinking. Your fuel pump uses the same relay. May just want to try swapping that relay in too since you know that is a good relay.
Thank you bobbyjo9! The suggestion to swap the relays to troubleshoot the inoperative pump was excellent. I found a Hella relay for $29 locally (MB quoted $79) and have the rollbar and top working again.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:52 AM
hdwildcat

motor top relay

Hi, I have the same problem with my roof, had a Mercedes dealer close my roof after it stayed open, paid 500€ for this (they checked and told me the pump is broken). After reading a lot on internet it could just be the relay, so I would be very pleased to hear the part number of the Hella Relay. This is a cheap way to find out if it IS the relay. Replacing the pump will set me back 3500€ which is a crazy price to spend on a car which I bought new in 1999. Thank you for any help!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:52 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Thumbs up DIY for access to the pump, relay, and cylinders, plus fluid flush

Folks,

BenzWorld member 'joetwa' has created some awesome DIY instructions for access to the pump (and thus the relay). These DIYs also include instructions on how to flush the hydraulic fluid (a must for any CLK owner at this point, if it hasn't been done before), and how to swap the two locking cylinders easily for upgrade. FYI, Top Hydraulics also rebuilds the pumps...

Here is the DIY - thanks again, 'joetwa': http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/W208...eplacement.pdf

Attached below also a diagram with the location of cylinders and pump in your CLK...

Hope this helps,

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Attached Thumbnails Need access to convertible top motor relay-clkdiagram.jpg  
Old 09-23-2012, 03:38 AM

1999 CLK Cabriolet 320
I know when my relay went (it still clicked) we put it on a code reader and the error is something like "low power or voltage" and I wonder if this is what makes the dealers suspect the motor, the guide above is really good too, wish I know about it before I did mine a few months back,