CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Carlsson RS replica kit...experiences please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpina B7; Techart Grand GT; G63
Carlsson RS replica kit...experiences please

I was just curious to hear what people's experiences have been with the Carlsson RS Replica kits. I've spoken to Bruce (via email) but would like to hear anybody else's experience with the Fiberworks, Indra's, or Dronellis' Carlsson RS kits. How much effort was spent on preping and painting them b/c of quality issues, fitment problems, etc. Also how much you guys spent getting the kits to fit would be great info. If we have headlight washers, can the kits be cut for the washer openings? Finally, I noticed that the kit doesn't have any splash guards underneath, so that if you look through the opening on the bumper...you can see the ground....do body shops custom cut splash guards for that area? Thanks for everybody's help in advance.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:11 PM

MB SL55, MB S55, Porsche 997.1, BMW M6, BMW X5, Audi B8 S4
I have physically looked at the kits mentioned in your email. Prior to the installation onto the car, differences can be seen and felt. Are you looking at replicas only or are you considering an authentic as well?

DC
Old 03-29-2003, 09:26 PM

I didn't realize there were any authentic ones left. Do you know how much the authentic ones run? I heard that even the authentic ones had problems with their fitment...is that true? I believe I remember reading that yours (DC) was a real one. How was installation on yours?
Old 03-30-2003, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by DMan
I didn't realize there were any authentic ones left. Do you know how much the authentic ones run? I heard that even the authentic ones had problems with their fitment...is that true? I believe I remember reading that yours (DC) was a real one. How was installation on yours?
Even with my network with the European tuning community, I had a difficult time finding an authentic kit. If you locate one in the US, it is usually used or has been in storage for a few years. I found 2 available kits in the US. By Dec 2002, it was down to one kit at $5K+. I also located a kit in Canada and a couple in Germany. If you buy multiple kits, the Germany option may reduce the per kit cost. I also tried to get one from Carlsson directly and was not successful.

Yes, even with the authentic, fitment is not perfect. Unless the kit is made of fairly pliable material like the original bumper, it is difficult to eliminate gaps and get perfect alignment. In particular the front bumper is a challenge. My side skirts and rear bumper fit well.Look at the area where the hood and bumper meet at the headlights. Even the OEM equipment is challanged by the W208 design. Anyone that has worked this area will be able to relate to what I am saying. It is clear that MB engineers anticipated difficulty with the alignment around the headlights. There's a bunch of ways to adjust the headlights, hood and bumper. Even with all the adjustability it's a pain to do.

The authentic is structurally stronger than the replicas that I looked at. It also had better fit and required much less prep to paint. For the cost, it should be much better than the replicas!

IMO, visually, an excellent shop can make a replica kit look good enough to be easily mistaken for an authentic kit. Only a few people can tell the difference.

While looking for the kit, I talked to a bunch of "Carlsson Experts". Beware, most of them really don't know. Not many people have had hands on experience with the authentic and typically state what they have heard.

I am a former engineer and I could write a lot on my evaluation of the kits. I am also a perfectionist, which may drive the cost/time required for prepping beyond the "normal" MB consumer.

My advice to you, if you want an original, be prepared to pay the big bucks. People with the authentic know they have a rare commodity. Let me know if you want the authentic, I'll see if I still have my contact info. If the price is too steep, try emailing Dronellis for the replica or you can email me and I will forward your email to him.

Good luck, it's a beautiful kit.
DC
Old 03-30-2003, 02:55 AM

DC how come u make the kit sound so easy to find? i thought there were only 11, 12 or so authentic ones made...
and also where is the on e that u located in canada?
Old 03-30-2003, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by tango
DC how come u make the kit sound so easy to find? i thought there were only 11, 12 or so authentic ones made...
Derek is da man dude ! He's got all the hookups and connections. And Neowerkes is all his His car is ganna look flawless when it's completed.

-Bruce
Old 03-30-2003, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by tango
My opinion is the exact opposite. I believe that it is extremely difficult to obtain a kit. At the end of the past year, there was only 1 kit available in the US at over $5000. The kit located in Canada is on a car and it belongs to a friend of one of my automobile tuner contacts. He will only consider selling the kit if he decides to sell the car. I asked him to contact me first when it becomes available.

Regarding the number of kits made, I would only be speculating. Based on my correspondence with a Carlsson (Germany rep), I personally don't believe the numbers to be as low as you've stated in your post.

I was seriously considering Dronellis' kit before I got my existing kit. Checkout LowRydeR and you will see why. It's so nice! It looks even better in person, the pictures don't really do it justice.

DC

Last edited by DC@neowerkes; 03-30-2003 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by LowRydeR
Derek is da man dude ! He's got all the hookups and connections. And Neowerkes is all his His car is ganna look flawless when it's completed.

-Bruce
Thanks Bruce

I still remember checking your car out for the first time. It's so sweet. Like I said there's only one LowRydeR!

DC:p
Old 03-30-2003, 05:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Derek! I saw your car at Wayne's today while we were adding some M3 mirrors to my girlfriend's GTI. The 2-tone interior looks nice, but you really ought to put some bumpers on it The work so far is flawless, and looks brand new.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:55 PM

Ben,
Yes, I agree it looks naked right now. We're trying to work the front wheel well area to accept 245 SO3s. It's too close for my liking. I know I could get a few mills additional clearance with Toyos, I just really like SO3s and the aggressive profile. I want a similar look to my E39. Typical, liking what one cannot have. I need traction, I've smoked the tires the length of the complex (A-One and neighboring businesses on the weekend) a bunch of times. Here's the look of our BMW and Audi brothers Now if they say a Kleemanized "ladies car" they would passout!

I hope to be done in a month or so. I've been waiting for the wheels. I was going to display the first set of some wheels that are under development. It's taking a long time. I'm thing about getting some other wheels for now. I'll be done with the bimmer in a couple of weeks and want to finish the CLK 55.

I'll be calling my buddys at Evosport for some stuff in the near future. :p

DC

Last edited by DC@neowerkes; 03-30-2003 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:29 PM

Re: Carlsson RS replica kit...experiences please

Originally posted by DMan
If we have headlight washers, can the kits be cut for the washer openings? Finally, I noticed that the kit doesn't have any splash guards underneath, so that if you look through the opening on the bumper...you can see the ground....do body shops custom cut splash guards for that area? Thanks for everybody's help in advance.
Dman,
Sorry about hijacking your thread. We'll get back to your questions.

I have headlight washers as well. I looked at the front bumper and concluded that the cutouts can be made. Transfer the hole foot print from your old bumper and cut it out with Dremel or small reciprocating saw. Be sure to place a doubler on the inside to aid fatigue crack prevention. Remove the headlight washer assembly (just the portion attached to your bumper) from your original bumper, it may require some minor tweeks and can be attached to your new doubler. Personally, I don't use the headlight washers and will probably leave it off.

Yes, plastic closeouts can be made to work. Make sure the shop makes them removable (screws, or some sort of reuseable fastening method). You will collect a lot of stuff in the cavity and will want easy access to clean.

DC
Old 03-30-2003, 05:16 PM

Thanks DC...your posts have been very informative. Yeah, I agree, living in SoCal I never use the headlight cleaners...but since they are there...I figured it would still be nice to keep functionality.

PS. DC...Check your PM

Last edited by DMan; 03-30-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:22 PM

No problem, good luck on your mods. Feel free to pm or email me with questions. I hope to see your ride at one of the local meets in Southern California.

DC
Old 03-30-2003, 10:47 PM

CLK430
Originally posted by Mach430
Hey Derek! I saw your car at Wayne's today while we were adding some M3 mirrors to my girlfriend's GTI. The 2-tone interior looks nice, but you really ought to put some bumpers on it The work so far is flawless, and looks brand new.

Is this the Wayne of A1 Autobody in HB ??
Old 03-30-2003, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by AolHoward
Is this the Wayne of A1 Autobody in HB ??
Yeah.

-Bruce
Old 04-02-2003, 10:37 PM

02 CLK55, 07 E92 335 ProCede
Bruce, how hard was it to put your kit on?
Also the black trim on around your window, that is chrome on 320's, did you paint it, or replace it?
Thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EUropean Freaks
basicly it depends on the autbody itself and the paint job. I have Black Clk 320 with Rs kits and when I asked my friend autobody to put it on, it shouldn't find any problem..different from the add on kits..full replacement bumper is much more easier to be fix rather than the add on kits..as you in america labour is damn expensive not like othe country. Basicly if you have money and planning to get the authentic kits. Go for it. but if you still have money and wanted to save it. all is depends on you. I think all the kits are the same..for my opinion I like my car to be sitting on the ground( really low) so thats why I prefer getting the Replica kits and also Im not staying in states whole my life. so easy to get rid of it.. hehe btw enjot dude...RS kits still da best...

felix
Old 04-03-2003, 01:11 AM

02 CLK55, 07 E92 335 ProCede
felix,
I hear ya, The fit was ok, except my rear was a little crooked which was repaired before it was put on. I can never go as loooooowwwwwwww as you! lol Thank God labour is so cheap here in Canada, compared to the USA.
derek
Old 04-03-2003, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EUropean Freaks
Originally posted by derek m
felix,
I hear ya, The fit was ok, except my rear was a little crooked which was repaired before it was put on. I can never go as loooooowwwwwwww as you! lol Thank God labour is so cheap here in Canada, compared to the USA.
derek

hahaha as long you know somebody inside autobody or a friends then should be no problem at all..I mean all kits need to be adjust alittle bit and depending on the works too and paint job.

For example if A using authentic kits and the guy putting the kits and the paint job is not good or prof enough then somebody think that the kits is replica...basicly all the paint job and works must be neatly done..
Old 04-03-2003, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EUropean Freaks
DC@neowerkes: derek how are you?lhow have you been?how is ur car?still on the shop?post some of your car pics ok.did you get the wheels yet?
Old 04-03-2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by dronellis
DC@neowerkes: derek how are you?lhow have you been?how is ur car?still on the shop?post some of your car pics ok.did you get the wheels yet?
Hey Felix,
I'm in Florida on a business trip. I should be back in Southern California this weekend. A friend of mine is promoting a Drift event at the local racetrack. I'm doing great, just very busy.

My CLK55 is just sitting right now. I am concentrating on working on a couple of BMWs for the Bimmerfest show at Santa Barbara. It's next weekend. After that I hope to get back to my car.

Email me later, I want to hear how you are doing with your business and pending move.

DC
Old 04-05-2003, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EUropean Freaks
DC:when is the bimmer fest start?let me know?and where is the location?I probably going to that show If I can make it too...
Old 04-06-2003, 12:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Bimmerfest is this coming Saturday, April 12th at Cutter Motors in Santa Barbara, CA. You can find more infomormation at www.bimmerfest.com.

Derek, it was good seeing you today!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Mach430
Bimmerfest is this coming Saturday, April 12th at Cutter Motors in Santa Barbara, CA. You can find more infomormation at www.bimmerfest.com.

Derek, it was good seeing you today!
Hey Ben,
It was good seeing you too buddy.

OK, we have the Bimmers hangout at A-One during the weekdays and the Audis on Saturdays. We need to get the Benz crew out sometime. Maybe we can have Saturday be a Euro day. The Audi boys are really cool. You should know, since you have been there the last two weekends.

I think we had a record 3 MBWorld members on the same day (Davidhung78, Mach430 and DC (me)). It was nice to talk about MBs for a change. I know Josh and LowRydeR would comeout. Maybe sometime later this summer.

Are you heading to Bimmerfest with Brad? I'll be there if I make it back to California. It's like a reunion with old friends every year.

Hmmmm..... Benzfest!

DC
Old 04-07-2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by dronellis
DC:when is the bimmer fest start?let me know?and where is the location?I probably going to that show If I can make it too...
Hey Felix,
If you make it down, try to find me. I'm friends with a lot of the vendors and car club guys. If you see these booths or guys ask for me:
- Jon Shafer (Event main man)
- Evosport (Brad, Ben)
- RDSport (Federico)
- Supreme Power Parts (Eric, Dan)
- Tuningwerks (Albert)
- Wheelpower (Jason)
The event draws a lot of people, hope to see you there.

DC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carlsson RS replica kit...experiences please