CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

racial profiling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by jbenz2001
What does this have to do wit my thread
duh? I was speaking out against racial profiling.

Oh, wait... your thread isn't about racial profiling. It's about getting busted for illegal/improper safety equipment.

Sorry, my bad.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
I don't know what to do.n e opinions mb world.

Yah. Have a drink and chill, or smoke a bone and chill. Drama aint worth it.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
Originally Posted by big_mike1979
FYI, THE DROP HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT..U CAN HAVE A BODY KITAND CAR IS DRAGGING AND ITS OK.
ITS HOW LOW IS THE GAS TANK OFF THE FLOOR WHAT THEY MEASURE SO U KNOW.
whatsup everyone, decided to drop in for a visit and saw this thread and just wanted to clraify a few things. yes it is very possible that you were profiled but unfortunatly the truth is they can do what they want and i agree towing your car seems to be too much for this situation but if the peace officer decided that that was the proper way to handle this situation unfortunatly there is nothing you can do because any judge will side with the peace officer and in this case because of those smoked lights it is considered very unsafe because of visibility issues. Big Mike they don't care about the car dragging on the ground or how low your gas tank is because in that case many cars such as pontiac fieros that have their gas tanks so close to the ground that they are notoriouse of rexplosions would never pass inspection. what they measure is your headlights from the ground and that is because of visibility reasons. My advise is to just drop the case and don't even think about going to court for it because you will loose the battle and a ton of money and most importantly TIME which is the only thing you can never buy back. Just take the tint out and maybe do a lighter shade or even go black housing. We will never know if it was profiling or not. I'm gonna give you the advice that a great man gave me once, as much as it sucks "IT IS WHAT IT IS". best of luck.

Last edited by VIPclk320; 05-18-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk 320
yeah i took the headlight tint right off as soon as the car was out of the tow station.i understand that they can do what they want but i wont stop without a fight.thanks everybody for the advise and feedback whether good or bad.all will be taking in as a lesson learned.i should of listen to ghostrider!he told me not to do it.but me like a dumbass,did it n e ways.now im paying the price $200+.which could of went to vipclk320 for a mod or even to ghostrider.will invest my money wisely from now on!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
yeah i took the headlight tint right off as soon as the car was out of the tow station.i understand that they can do what they want but i wont stop without a fight.thanks everybody for the advise and feedback whether good or bad.all will be taking in as a lesson learned.i should of listen to ghostrider!he told me not to do it.but me like a dumbass,did it n e ways.now im paying the price $200+.which could of went to vipclk320 for a mod or even to ghostrider.will invest my money wisely from now on!
Its all good man don't beat yourself up about it, consider it a lesson learned. there are many lessons to be learned in life some cost money, some your time but at thend you come out a better person because of them. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 PM

2001 clk 320
Thanks bro
Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

that's just stupid, sorry.

I am stunned by this admission, maybe there is hope for you after all.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM

99 clk320
[QUOTE=i_am_amused;4080868]that's just stupid, sorry.

Why do you think it is stupid?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[quote=saboli;4080934]
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
that's just stupid, sorry.

Why do you think it is stupid?
you're right, it's not. I don't know why I thought there was anything wrong with attempting to fight vehicle safety regulations by intentionally violating them and repeatedly getting called to court and fined. Please continue. I'm sure your state can use the extra cash.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 PM

2001 clk 320
Well I didn't know it was illegal to tint ur headlight and taillights.a warning would of made me awre of it.nodody that I know of has gotten n e tickets where I live for do n what I did to their cars.people just started do n it.u can't say that by having ur s55 u don't speed something I don't do.but I bet u do,but yet if u get caught ur still fighting it in court right?so what's the diff?its still ilegal.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I didn't know it was illegal to tint ur headlight and taillights.a warning would of made me awre of it.nodody that I know of has gotten n e tickets where I live for do n what I did to their cars.people just started do n it.u can't say that by having ur s55 u don't speed something I don't do.but I bet u do,but yet if u get caught ur still fighting it in court right?so what's the diff?its still ilegal.
Ignorance is no excuse. Actually it is, but it's lame and makes one look ignorant.

Yes, occassionally exceed the speed limit. I guarantee that you do, too, sonny.

No, if I'm ticketed and guilty I don't fight it. Don't to the crime if you can't do the time.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
^ LOL
Old 05-21-2010, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VIPclk320
whatsup everyone, decided to drop in for a visit and saw this thread and just wanted to clraify a few things. yes it is very possible that you were profiled but unfortunatly the truth is they can do what they want and i agree towing your car seems to be too much for this situation but if the peace officer decided that that was the proper way to handle this situation unfortunatly there is nothing you can do because any judge will side with the peace officer and in this case because of those smoked lights it is considered very unsafe because of visibility issues. Big Mike they don't care about the car dragging on the ground or how low your gas tank is because in that case many cars such as pontiac fieros that have their gas tanks so close to the ground that they are notoriouse of rexplosions would never pass inspection. what they measure is your headlights from the ground and that is because of visibility reasons. My advise is to just drop the case and don't even think about going to court for it because you will loose the battle and a ton of money and most importantly TIME which is the only thing you can never buy back. Just take the tint out and maybe do a lighter shade or even go black housing. We will never know if it was profiling or not. I'm gonna give you the advice that a great man gave me once, as much as it sucks "IT IS WHAT IT IS". best of luck.
Kosskesh .. bro i swear i heard once the cop told my boy in Va, they measure it from the tank.. again my state could be diff... im so curious and gonna check the law in VA
Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kosskesh .. bro i swear i heard once the cop told my boy in Va, they measure it from the tank.. again my state could be diff... im so curious and gonna check the law in VA
when I lived in Nebraska 800 years ago our car of choice was anything American, and the modding style of choice was the skinniest tires possible in front, the fattest tires possible in the rear ("big & littles", anyone? Go look at a Hot Rod magazine from 1972...), and the rear end jacked up as high as possible.

Kids were always getting ticketed for jacking up the rear too high. The theory was that raising the bumper too high exposed the gas tank.

From the vehicle safety regulations in Virginia:

What are the bumper height laws in the state of Virginia?
Section 46.2-1063 states:
Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail. -- No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the range of bumper heights for motor vehicles bearing street rod license plates issued pursuant to § 46.2-747 shall be nine to twenty-two inches.

No vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation. No part of the original suspension system of a motor vehicle shall be disconnected to defeat the safe operation of its suspension system. However, nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of heavy duty equipment, including shock absorbers and overload springs. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit the driving on a public highway of a motor vehicle with normal wear to the suspension system if such normal wear does not adversely affect the control of the vehicle.

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches. Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.
No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.

This section shall not apply to specially designed or modified motor vehicles when driven off the public highways in races and similar events. Such motor vehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways of the Commonwealth.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:26 PM

2001 clk 320
Whatever the rules r for mass can suck a d@#$.I feel if ur not extremely low or high.u shouldn't be mess wit for mod n ur car the way u want.dirty cops and statys can kiss my puertorican *** all day for be n grimey.peace out pigs!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by i_am_amused
when I lived in Nebraska 800 years ago our car of choice was anything American, and the modding style of choice was the skinniest tires possible in front, the fattest tires possible in the rear ("big & littles", anyone? Go look at a Hot Rod magazine from 1972...), and the rear end jacked up as high as possible.

Kids were always getting ticketed for jacking up the rear too high. The theory was that raising the bumper too high exposed the gas tank.

From the vehicle safety regulations in Virginia:

What are the bumper height laws in the state of Virginia?
Section 46.2-1063 states:
Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail. -- No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the range of bumper heights for motor vehicles bearing street rod license plates issued pursuant to § 46.2-747 shall be nine to twenty-two inches.

No vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation. No part of the original suspension system of a motor vehicle shall be disconnected to defeat the safe operation of its suspension system. However, nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of heavy duty equipment, including shock absorbers and overload springs. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit the driving on a public highway of a motor vehicle with normal wear to the suspension system if such normal wear does not adversely affect the control of the vehicle.

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches. Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.
No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.

This section shall not apply to specially designed or modified motor vehicles when driven off the public highways in races and similar events. Such motor vehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways of the Commonwealth.
thank u chief
Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever the rules r for mass can suck a d@#$.I feel if ur not extremely low or high.u shouldn't be mess wit for mod n ur car the way u want.dirty cops and statys can kiss my puertorican *** all day for be n grimey.peace out pigs!!!
bro i dont blame u.. but again the headlamps seems too dark and same for the rear one due to safety.
but now as to be low, your car is low but not that low.
def , he profiled u due to what u are driving (pimped out car )
Old 05-21-2010, 08:01 PM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Why are people taking it out on the cops by calling them "pigs" and whatnot?

All the cops are doing, is enforce the law. They don't write the laws.

Now, of course, some cops are more gung-hoe than others when it comes to modified cars, but damn! Blame your legislative branch, not your executive branch, people!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sathinas
Why are people taking it out on the cops by calling them "pigs" and whatnot?

All the cops are doing, is enforce the law. They don't write the laws.

Now, of course, some cops are more gung-hoe than others when it comes to modified cars, but damn! Blame your legislative branch, not your executive branch, people!
i agree with u THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOB BUT THERE IS A LIMIT WHEN TO SEARCH YOUR CAR AND THEY HAVE TO HAVE A CAUSE... CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG ?but some are D***S... especially if u are not from the state, drive a nice car pimped out car, racisim/profiling whatever u want to call it , will play a role. i got hit twice.. one time due to my size (im lebanese aka arab but i look european, not even close to an arab look), looked at me as a drug dealer, and asked me: do u have illegal subt on u?? i said no and then i asked him: what is your proable(sp?) cause & never responded and (THANK GOD TO MY WITNESSES) then he search my car while i was parked at 711 getting water, soda whatever it was but i fired back at him at the court and i won the case.
another time, i got pulled over at the light but this time because of my tag, i forgot to change the tag for my plate(expired even though i had on me in the car) and wanted to search my car and i asked him why this and that.he told me some cops are jealous, and they are racist, and this cop was cool as a cat, just asked me questions what i do and where i work and i told him.
then he started to come to my gym and we became good friends but now he is out of va and taking classes to join the swat team..
so it does depend on the cop too bro.....some got nothing else to do BUT to give u hard time

Last edited by big_mike1979; 05-21-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:43 PM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
i agree with u

Thank you.

THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOB BUT THERE IS A LIMIT WHEN TO SEARCH YOUR CAR AND THEY HAVE TO HAVE A CAUSE... CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG
OK.

?but some are D***S... especially if u are not from the state, drive a nice car pimped out car, racisim/profiling whatever u want to call it , will play a role.
I'd never pull say, a black or hispanic looking person over if they drove an expensive car, based on what they looked like or what they drove.

Cops nowadays are VERY conscientious about racial (or any other kind of) profiling. Believe me.

i got hit twice.. one time due to my size (im lebanese aka arab but i look european, not even close to an arab look), looked at me as a drug dealer, and asked me: do u have illegal subt on u?? i said no and then i asked him: what is your proable(sp?) cause & never responded and (THANK GOD TO MY WITNESSES)
Actually, it's reasonable suspicion. Probable cause comes after reasonable suspicion. But I digress...

then he search my car while i was parked at 711 getting water, soda whatever it was but i fired back at the court and i won the case.
And you let him search your car, why, again? You can (and should) refuse a car search on a traffic stop. Pisses cops off.

another time, i got pulled over at the light but this time because of my tag, i forgot to change the tag for my plate(expired even though i had on me in the car) and wanted to search my car and i asked him why this and that.
That was your fault. The cop likely ran the plate, came back with current tags, but decided to mess with you. Again, "this and that" is not enough to let a cop search your car. Read up on the 4th Amendment. Actually, read up on ALL the amendments.

he told me some cops are jealous, and they are racist,
Show me one group that doesn't have their share of jealous and racist people. It's life, my friend.

and this cop was cool as a cat, just asked me questions what i do and where i work and i told him.
You ain't seen the cats I know. Siberian Lynx's are mean as hell.

some got nothing else to do just to give u hard time
This is not necessarily true. You have to understand, a lot of drug dealers and bad guys drive around in "pimp" cars. This is not a racist or profiling thing. It's called experience. But to pull a car over and then tell the driver he needs to let the cop search it... that's just wrong.

A lot of cops pray that you don't know what your rights are. For example, you get pulled over for speeding. Cops asks you "sir, do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Yes," you say "I was speeding. I'm sorry"
That right there just sealed your fate in court if you get a ticket and fight it. You just admitted to speeding.

This is why, when I get pulled over for whatever reason and get asked "Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?" I rely with "I do... But I'll let you figure it out."
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sathinas
Thank you.

OK.

I'd never pull say, a black or hispanic looking person over if they drove an expensive car, based on what they looked like or what they drove.

Cops nowadays are VERY conscientious about racial (or any other kind of) profiling. Believe me.

Actually, it's reasonable suspicion. Probable cause comes after reasonable suspicion. But I digress...

And you let him search your car, why, again? You can (and should) refuse a car search on a traffic stop. Pisses cops off.

That was your fault. The cop likely ran the plate, came back with current tags, but decided to mess with you. Again, "this and that" is not enough to let a cop search your car. Read up on the 4th Amendment. Actually, read up on ALL the amendments.

Show me one group that doesn't have their share of jealous and racist people. It's life, my friend.

You ain't seen the cats I know. Siberian Lynx's are mean as hell.

This is not necessarily true. You have to understand, a lot of drug dealers and bad guys drive around in "pimp" cars. This is not a racist or profiling thing. It's called experience. But to pull a car over and then tell the driver he needs to let the cop search it... that's just wrong.

A lot of cops pray that you don't know what your rights are. For example, you get pulled over for speeding. Cops asks you "sir, do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Yes," you say "I was speeding. I'm sorry"
That right there just sealed your fate in court if you get a ticket and fight it. You just admitted to speeding.

This is why, when I get pulled over for whatever reason and get asked "Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?" I rely with "I do... But I'll let you figure it out."
smart
.. lets race
have nice weekend boss
Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 PM

2001 clk 320
Lol,well my comment was aimed towards dirty cops and statys.I know they have to do there job.but in my situation the staty I had was the dick so of course I'm gonna have anger towards all of them.I already took off my headlight tints and tom working on rear quarters.I'm rolling the fenders cuz the quarters are to close to.which after inspecting put myself in the statys shoes and would also think that the tire rub was from that.which its not rubbing at all.its rubbing on the clip where the rear bumper bolts up.in be n to low I understood where he was coming from so I give him that.but the searching and the pose he did for my pics not passing.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would love to see your "puertorican ***" telling "dirty cops and statys" to kiss your ***.
please post it in youtube, you could be the next Kimbo Slice.

Dude, get a grip, calm down, and don't go around flaunting the law and trying to **** off the cops. Pissed off cops are truly colorblind. Seriously, they don't give a ***** what color you are if you are being an @ssh0le.

Last edited by i_am_amused; 05-22-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 AM

2001 clk 320
wtf r u even talking about brotha!what i said is my opionion of what i think about them.i never said thats what im gonna do.idk whats ur prob?ur the only one that has some stupid **** to say.u must be cool wit cops and statys cuz u protect them like its ur job.have u ever even modded a car before to even know what im talking about.everybody else seems to feel me and ur the only one that got some **** to say.chill out brotha cuz u dont know me!!!!

Last edited by jbenz2001; 05-22-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wtf r u even talking about brotha!what i said is my opionion of what i think about them.i never said thats what im gonna do.idk whats ur prob?ur the only one that has some stupid **** to say.u must be cool wit cops and statys cuz u protect them like its ur job.have u ever even modded a car before to even know what im talking about.everybody else seems to feel me and ur the only one that got some **** to say.chill out brotha cuz u dont know me!!!!

you crack me up!

It's like watching a cartoon.

you have a nice day, "brotha"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: racial profiling