CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

MB parts must have some sort of self-destruct timer...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Angry MB parts must have some sort of self-destruct timer...

Just when my factory warranty is about to run out (20 miles left), one of the bulbs in the dash cluster goes out. It's the weekend too so by the time next week comes around, my car would have been out of warranty. And just when I thought replacing a bulb is a 5 minute job, its actually a 4 hour job at ~$100 per hour. I was looking at the terms and conditions of this aftermarket warranty I'm planning to purchase and it doesn't mention bulbs. And off course, my Service B occurs 2k miles after my free maintenance occurs. Just venting. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:09 PM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
Sorry to hear that Frank...get the extended warranty if it's not too late yet. It's worth it if you are planning to keep you car for a while.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, I'm almost in your position. But how is the AMG kit holding up ? What dealership is it at? My service advisor usually tries to throw in a transmission rebuild before the warranty expires. If yours won't, emai me and I'll try to set it up.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:15 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Some manufactures are very good about something that goes out just as the warantee expires, don't drive so much over the weekend and or go to the nearest dealer today and have them record the problem as of todays date to be fixed next week.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: MB parts must have some sort of self-destruct timer...

Originally posted by funky102
Just when my factory warranty is about to run out (20 miles left), one of the bulbs in the dash cluster goes out. It's the weekend too so by the time next week comes around, my car would have been out of warranty. And just when I thought replacing a bulb is a 5 minute job, its actually a 4 hour job at ~$100 per hour. I was looking at the terms and conditions of this aftermarket warranty I'm planning to purchase and it doesn't mention bulbs. And off course, my Service B occurs 2k miles after my free maintenance occurs. Just venting. Thanks for listening.
funky102... well, if you are sure it is just the bulb, it is very easy to fix. all you need to do is pull out the cluster, and all the bulbs are accessible through the rear. simple twist, and the bulb comes out. i believe they are same as the bulbs found in the MY00+ side mirrors, at least they are the same size.

You can buy the cluster removal tool for about $20, or cut up a sturdy steel clothes hanger to make one (thats what I did), and it works well.

But if you want the dealer to do it, I would call them to notify them of the problem, and tell them that you are 20 miles away from warranty expiration. Most dealers won't say no if you just barely exceeded your warranty terms.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: MB parts must have some sort of self-destruct timer...

Originally posted by funky102
Just explain your situation to the dealer, they'll probably give you a break. It's not like as soon as your car hits 50,000 miles, everything is out of your pocket. If you're polite and explain your situation, your dealer will probably pick up the tab, given that it's so close to the cut-off mileage. Your B-service you will have to pay for though,
Old 04-04-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Originally posted by Mach430
Sorry to hear about that, I'm almost in your position. But how is the AMG kit holding up ? What dealership is it at? My service advisor usually tries to throw in a transmission rebuild before the warranty expires. If yours won't, emai me and I'll try to set it up.

Dude, your service advisor sounds like he's pretty lenient. My advisor @ the House is a little b....! He wouldn't even give me a free alignment (warranty) because my "ride-height is not factory height."
Old 04-05-2003, 11:36 PM

MB
Originally posted by Arnee
Dude, your service advisor sounds like he's pretty lenient. My advisor @ the House is a little b....! He wouldn't even give me a free alignment (warranty) because my "ride-height is not factory height."
Would you be given a "free" alignment if your car is under warranty?
Old 04-06-2003, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by hinhin7
Would you be given a "free" alignment if your car is under warranty?
Within the first 12 months, yes.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:54 AM

2000 CLK 320
Thanks guys. I setup an appointment with my service advisor and he told me to bring the car in and drive minimally. Unfortunately, I had to go places this weekend and I didn't use minimal miles. Hopefully, he won't mind too much. To add to the whole thing, one of my fog lights just went out.

Hey Eileen, yea I'm planning on getting the extended warranty from HOI except the guy I was talking to, Andreas, isn't there anymore so I have to recoordinate this.

Hey Ben, I haven't installed the AMG kit yet. Still sitting there waiting to be painted. I plan to do everything at one, spring, tint, and kit but haven't gotten to it yet. That was at Fletcher Jones and hopefully I can get the lights fixed. Where do you get your service done? I'll email you if I encounter any hassle. Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Originally posted by Mach430
...My service advisor usually tries to throw in a transmission rebuild before the warranty expires.
Hey Ben,
How do I swing this on my almost-out-of-warranty car??
Thanks!