CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Removal of long wood peice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
Removal of long wood peice.

Guys can somebody tell me how to get this thing off??? The long piece on the dash close to the windshield.

THanks
Old 06-15-2010, 06:03 PM

01 clk 430
Daaaaam 200 views and no reply's.

I've searched high and low around these boards and the only thing said was that it pops out from the sides with a screw-driver. I've tried this with no success. It seems like it just doesn't want to give.

If anyone can help me out or has experience with this PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
nuttin but crickets!! I just hate the thought of "prying" on something that has spent that much time under the baking sun! I doubt it is anything more than a press fit. Maybe try using door removal tools so you can get away from working on the edge.. just a thought though as I've never tried removal on that piece.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM

01 clk 430
Okay folks I figured this one out.

Here is what I did. From inside the car sitting in the passenger seat I used a small flat-head to pry out the far right side of the wood. Once I heard a few clicks I then moved to a bigger flathead and continued to pry at the right side. Eventually the right side gave out and I could see that the metal rod was out of the socket.

Once the right side is loose, you need to get ahold of the trim and pull it over to the right side until it shifts as far as it gan go. This is maybe like a 1" shift. Now the wood is completely unobstructed and all you need to do is wiggle it while pulling straight out.

This worked for me on the first try and honestly I think it would be hard to break it because it seems pretty sturdy. Just make sure in the first step your not just barely working on the edge of the wood(Weasel the screwdriver in at least 3/4" before prying out). DO NOT TRY THIS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE AS IT WILL NOT WORK!

Last edited by Gundo; 06-15-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: error
Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 PM

01 clk 430
This should help in understanding how it comes off. Notice on the far right there isnt a metal slide, its just a popout.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 PM

01 clk 430
These are the studs on the backside about every ten inches or so.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 Coupe
Originally Posted by Gundo

Here is what I did. From inside the car sitting in the passenger seat I used a small flat-head to pry out the far right side of the wood. Once I heard a few clicks I then moved to a bigger flathead and continued to pry at the right side. Eventually the right side gave out and I could see that the metal rod was out of the socket.

Once the right side is loose, you need to get ahold of the trim and pull it over to the right side until it shifts as far as it gan go. This is maybe like a 1" shift. Now the wood is completely unobstructed and all you need to do is wiggle it while pulling straight out.

This worked for me on the first try and honestly I think it would be hard to break it because it seems pretty sturdy. Just make sure in the first step your not just barely working on the edge of the wood(Weasel the screwdriver in at least 3/4" before prying out). DO NOT TRY THIS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE AS IT WILL NOT WORK!
Thanks Gundo--this is awesome news. I have been thinking about doing this but dreading the prospect of removing the entire dash. Great job.

Are you removing it to do a CF wrap?

Regards,
e harmon
Old 06-16-2010, 01:12 AM

01 clk 430
No problem E Harmon glad I can help.

Yes, I will be doing a flat carbon wrap over all of the wood pieces and a few others. I just feel that my wood is a bit dated and am looking for a new exciting project to work on.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 AM

No problem E Harmon glad I can help.

Yes, I will be doing a flat carbon wrap over all of the wood pieces and a few others. I just feel that my wood is a bit dated and am looking for a new exciting project to work on.
I also wrapped my wood bow in Carbon Look Vynil.

ill post a pic later..

E.R.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430

Good lookin' out Gundo!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 PM

01 clk 430
Thanks ghost, it was amazing how many times I saw this question asked in old threads and it was never really answered.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
Sorry Gundo, i would of literally been the first to reply but i barely signed on since yesterday morning. glad you were able to get it out though. what are you planning to do with it? CF? Paint?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 PM

01 clk 430
No problem man, yeah I'm doing a matte carbon fiber wrap. The only piece I can get off is the ash tray covering. Can someone please let me know how to get this thing off???
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 PM

on the ashtray cover door, there are 2 clips that you have to pop and then slide the wood cover off the door assembly.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM

01 clk 430
Okay are they actually on the bottom-side of the cover when open and if so hwdo you pop them? I a;so see two pinch clips on the left are these them. This is driving me crazy my fingers are raw from trying to get this thing off!!! Please more detail, thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
i was thinking of that too .. carbon fiber
Old 06-18-2010, 03:04 AM

01 clk 430
I just finished it and it looks soooo clean, and this is coming from a guy who never really liked carbon fiber. I just felt like my wood is dated and also faded, scratched, warping ect it was time for a facelift...

I'll get some good pics up soon.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLA45 C63 SL63 CLK BS C BS SL600 560SEC 500E
dont

No problem man, yeah I'm doing a matte carbon fiber wrap. The only piece I can get off is the ash tray covering. Can someone please let me know how to get this thing off???
dont remove the ash tray cover, do it while is on, its easy i did it, otherwise you wont be able to close it...
Old 06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
Okay are they actually on the bottom-side of the cover when open and if so hwdo you pop them? I a;so see two pinch clips on the left are these them. This is driving me crazy my fingers are raw from trying to get this thing off!!! Please more detail, thanks
take off the complete ashtray assembly, there are two screws on eac side of the shifter, take the screws off and put your shifter in drive and slide the ashtray housing out and there is a harness in the back for the lighter disconnect that, then with the housing in your hand close the lid 3/4 of the way and hold it there, then you will see the two clips exposed, use a ver sharp clip remover tool or a small flat head and push the clips up from under and slide the wooed piece dow wards and it comes right out very easy to do. i'm not here that often or i moved have helped you with the top piece too as i have removed all the wood pieces once to do carbon fiber and then i recently removed them to do piano black wood.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Daaaaam 200 views and no reply's.

I've searched high and low around these boards and the only thing said was that it pops out from the sides with a screw-driver. I've tried this with no success. It seems like it just doesn't want to give.

If anyone can help me out or has experience with this PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!
Thank you for taking on the challenge, figuring this out and posting the solution.

Right after buying my CLK, I was getting a squeak/rattling sound at the base of the wind shield.

Although brand new, I assumed this piece was just held on with the usual clips. Unable to get this piece off I called the dealer. They said not to try further, as I could easily break it and they would take care of the problem.

The solution was to add some felt material behind the wood piece.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
Wow this piece is tough to remove.. I've popped off the right side.. but it won't shift to the right no matter how hard I pull.

Did it easily slide over for you? Or did you have to pull really really hard?