CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

tail lights problem help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 clk 430
tail lights problem help

So my right side back running light went out, the blinker and the brake lights still working, I went to the local auto parts and got a bulb for the right side, I noticed when I put the bulb in it was brighter then the other running light and it didnt look good so I changed the other one. I was wondering why my running lights in the back were so bright after I put on the new ones not like before half *** bright, so I thought it was because they were just new bulbs.

Okay now the problems start about 1 month after, the left running light goes out. I tell the guy at the autoparts I think the bulbs defective he gives me a new one and tells me its my stereo system or I have a short or electrical problem. I told him probably not because I have had my stereo system for over 2 years and never had this problem, he said cars start doing these things when they get old. So I went home started taking out the thing that holds the bulbs, I left my light on while doing this and I noticed while I was taking it out it started flickering and working so I left every thing alone both running light work.

Now a couple of hours later the right side running light stops working, so I take a look to see whats happening its the same as the left I touch it it starts working but now the right side is dim and the other side bright and half hour later the right side just stopped working. So I just left everything alone and now I am thinking I got a electrical problem.
I was also thinking maybe these bulbs are just not working with the car I need mercedes brand. please help everybody I do a lot of night time driving and I havnt gotten pulled over yet please help
Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Is the socket clean?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jreddyroc
So my right side back running light went out, the blinker and the brake lights still working, I went to the local auto parts and got a bulb for the right side, I noticed when I put the bulb in it was brighter then the other running light and it didnt look good so I changed the other one. I was wondering why my running lights in the back were so bright after I put on the new ones not like before half *** bright, so I thought it was because they were just new bulbs.

Okay now the problems start about 1 month after, the left running light goes out. I tell the guy at the autoparts I think the bulbs defective he gives me a new one and tells me its my stereo system or I have a short or electrical problem. I told him probably not because I have had my stereo system for over 2 years and never had this problem, he said cars start doing these things when they get old. So I went home started taking out the thing that holds the bulbs, I left my light on while doing this and I noticed while I was taking it out it started flickering and working so I left every thing alone both running light work.

Now a couple of hours later the right side running light stops working, so I take a look to see whats happening its the same as the left I touch it it starts working but now the right side is dim and the other side bright and half hour later the right side just stopped working. So I just left everything alone and now I am thinking I got a electrical problem.
I was also thinking maybe these bulbs are just not working with the car I need mercedes brand. please help everybody I do a lot of night time driving and I havnt gotten pulled over yet please help
Get these...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...ht_5703wt_1165

They are worth EVERY PENNY!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 AM

2002 clk 430
need more info on this light prob please

checked the sockets marcus they are clean problems still there thanks for the info tell me more please, I think im gonna go to benz and get a pair of oem and see what happens first before I go and spend money for electric problems.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jreddyroc
I think im gonna go to benz and get a pair of oem and see what happens first before I go and spend money for electric problems.
Thats gonna cost you a pretty penny.....

I had a similar issue so I purchased the LED about two years ago and never gave me a problem to this day. Installation is SUPER EASY: PLUG AND PLAY!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM

2000 CLK 430
Running into the same problem sourcing the proper lamp. I checked both Advance auto parts and Autozone. They both come up with the same sylvania bulb number in their computers, 7225. That's the WRONG bulb. The nipples\lugs on this bulb are offset a bit, they're at 12 and 7. The original bulbs have the lugs 180 degrees apart, at 12 and 6.

If you look at the socket, it's obvious it needs to be 180. You CAN get the offset bulbs to seat (not the right way), and they will light. The problem is, that the brake light and parking light contact are reversed, so your brights are on when your parking lights are on and your brake lights won't be bright enough. Sounds like this is what the original poster is experiencing.

I'm still looking for the proper bulbs, but I know which ones are the WRONG ones.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:48 AM

2002 clk 430
found out the prob the guys at the shop put in the wrong wattage bulbs thats what the parts guy said at mb and he was right
Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 PM

1999 CLK 430
Originally Posted by McGary911
Running into the same problem sourcing the proper lamp. I checked both Advance auto parts and Autozone. They both come up with the same sylvania bulb number in their computers, 7225. That's the WRONG bulb. The nipples\lugs on this bulb are offset a bit, they're at 12 and 7. The original bulbs have the lugs 180 degrees apart, at 12 and 6.

If you look at the socket, it's obvious it needs to be 180. You CAN get the offset bulbs to seat (not the right way), and they will light. The problem is, that the brake light and parking light contact are reversed, so your brights are on when your parking lights are on and your brake lights won't be bright enough. Sounds like this is what the original poster is experiencing.

I'm still looking for the proper bulbs, but I know which ones are the WRONG ones.
Let me know if you figure out which bulb it is. I have the exact same problem. The brake lights are on all the time when the lights are on and i can't reverse the position of the bulb o reverse the polarity.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:57 AM

2002 clk 430
just go to mb and get the bulbs or call them
Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by Carlosan
Let me know if you figure out which bulb it is. I have the exact same problem. The brake lights are on all the time when the lights are on and i can't reverse the position of the bulb o reverse the polarity.
I had the same brake loth problem. Turned out to be my front SAM unit. Had to have it replaced, had nothing to do with the bulbs.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:32 AM

2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Carlosan
Got the right lamps. Dealer is about 45 minutes away, so I never made it that far.

Stopped by NAPA, and they had 2 part numbers in their computer. One appeared to be the same bulbs with the offset nibs. The SECOND one had the nibs at 12 and 6. Those are the ones I needed. At NAPA, they stock Wagner lamps. Here are the 2 part numbers.

The ones with the 12 and 7 nibs: 17881

The ones I needed, with the 12/6 nibs: 17916

I don't know which models need the 12/7, but that seems to be the only thing the other stores stock. Napa had both, which is super cool. Less $ too. < $4. Their computers also have very good pics of the lamps, so the guy can show you exactly what the lamp looks like so you can double check. Easy to pull the lamps in the parking lot on these cars as well.

My car's a 2000 430 hardtop, and I needed the 12/6 lamps.

Hope this helps some folks out.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
Originally Posted by McGary911
Got the right lamps. Dealer is about 45 minutes away, so I never made it that far.

Stopped by NAPA, and they had 2 part numbers in their computer. One appeared to be the same bulbs with the offset nibs. The SECOND one had the nibs at 12 and 6. Those are the ones I needed. At NAPA, they stock Wagner lamps. Here are the 2 part numbers.

The ones with the 12 and 7 nibs: 17881

The ones I needed, with the 12/6 nibs: 17916

I don't know which models need the 12/7, but that seems to be the only thing the other stores stock. Napa had both, which is super cool. Less $ too. < $4. Their computers also have very good pics of the lamps, so the guy can show you exactly what the lamp looks like so you can double check. Easy to pull the lamps in the parking lot on these cars as well.

My car's a 2000 430 hardtop, and I needed the 12/6 lamps.

Hope this helps some folks out.

Great info. I thought i was going crazy when I went to auto-zone and the replacement bulbs the computer and book listed didn't properly work because of the little nibs were off place.

Crazy part is when I pulled the (what I thought) defective bulb out, the filament was not broken. Does that mean anything?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:38 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG W208
I have a 2001 CLK55 amg. I just recently had the same problem. I went to autozone and they gave me the wrong part number for my brake lights because of the little nibs were off place too. The part number on the bulb that autozone will give you is 7225LL. Do not get this bulb from there just go to the MB dealership buy a bulb there it's only like $6.50 trust me it's worth it! I first thought it was my brake stop lamp switch. I bought one at the MB dealership for $22 and put it in myself and didn't solve the problem. Then I tried it and all of my brake lights all still came on at night left and right without touching the brake paddle. I thought maybe it would been my Stop brake switch because my BAS/ESP light came on randomly couple of times then disappear. So, I ended up going to the MB dealership and they told me that they put have the wrong bulb for the W208 Vehicle. Just wanted to let you guys know. Glad it was just a simple easy fix and didn't cost me that much. Only costed me $22 Brake Stop Swtich (which didn't even need) and $6.50 for the brake lights.