CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Shout to Vip320Clk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
Shout to Vip320Clk

Hey Ash, I was just reading the AMG Posts where I spotted this:

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...tml#post521279

Why didn't you build your cold air intake the same way?

Would us CLK Guys/Gals get the same results?

Anyone can comment by the way. It's just that I know VIPclk320 made some.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 PM

2001 clk 320
i bet he could of but it would of cost us alot more.i know tvt design sells them for about $800.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
as I looked at the design you can't see where the MAF sits on the crossfire. with the MBV6 as you may know it sits on the passenger side of the engine compartment. if you put in a double intake, devil horns or whatever they call them I think you would have to move the MAF back to the center/firewall before the two intake pipes converge into one. If you didn't you wouldn't get correct flow readings. I don't think there is enough room in the engine compartment to do that. As I re-read my post, the 430 has the MAF at the back of the engine so maybe it will fit, but will a long intake pipe fit on the drivers side? JMHO!

Last edited by dlbehrns; 09-23-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
Originally Posted by Pauljay

Whatsup Paul long time no see. the problem with that design and the clk w208s is the there aren't enough room to run a pipe all the way to the buttom of the fender on the driver side because the ABS pump and the water resevor and in some models the headlight washer assembly is on the way. so what you have to do is either leave the filters in the engine bay which sucks hot air or run them to the existing snorkle holes on each side of the radiator which means that i had to decrease the diameter of the pipe and even at that there is still no room for filters specially on the 55 and the 430 models that have the two fans infront of the radiator. on the cross fire there is plenty of room between the radiator and the grille to fit filters but on the CLKs there is none. so this was the only way that i could keep the 3" diameter all the way from the filter to the MAF and make sure its sucking in the coldest air possible. hope this helped

Last edited by VIPclk320; 09-23-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the replies Guys!

Hi Ash! It's good to hear from you as I know you don't frequent the forums anymore.

I had a look under my hood and you're right space is very tight for the 430/55 engines!
I read that post and got excited thinking that you could fabricate another filter then join them with an SL 'y' piece.

I know you put alot of thought and effort into your work, I got carried away with my never ending search for more power. Ah ha ha!

A couple of questions though! What's this teflon coating all about? (I got that from the Needswings web page) Air isn't going to stick to the alluminium. Your pipes work better than my standard air box can coating them be better? Also do you favour wrapping the pipes like they have?

I know cost was mentioned, but some guys pay £2000+ for Rentech air boxes so I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if it was netting me a gain.

Last edited by Pauljay; 09-24-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Thanks for the replies Guys!

Hi Ash! It's good to hear from you as I know you don't frequent the forums anymore.

I had a look under my hood and you're right space is very tight for the 430/55 engines!
I read that post and got excited thinking that you could fabricate another filter then join them with an SL 'y' piece.

I know you put alot of thought and effort into your work, I got carried away with my never ending search for more power. Ah ha ha!

A couple of questions though! What's this teflon coating all about? (I got that from the Needswings web page) Air isn't going to stick to the alluminium. Your pipes work better than my standard air box can coating them be better? Also do you favour wrapping the pipes like they have?

I know cost was mentioned, but some guys pay £2000+ for Rentech air boxes so I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if it was netting me a gain.
No worries brother new ideas are what makes existing roducts great, but to be honest with you the dual intake was the first one that i made and anything that i tried didn't work for running another tube on the driver side also there is absolutly no rrom to run a tube to the back of the grille infront of the radiator and even if there eas no room to fit filters. But as foe the teflon coating my pipes do come with one coat if you like you can out a few more coats but no noticeable difference. as for the heat wrapping is not a bad idea but people wouldnt like the look of that it looks very american muscle rat rod style so i left the pipes polished.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:48 AM

Thanks man!

It's good to have products on your car, but if I'm changing something I'd like to know the changes made. I agree with you about the wrapped look, the polished tubes look so much better. I was trying to balance in my mind form over function. Obviously if it made that big a difference I'd seriously consider it.

Good luck with your new project and keep us all posted.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Thanks man!

It's good to have products on your car, but if I'm changing something I'd like to know the changes made. I agree with you about the wrapped look, the polished tubes look so much better. I was trying to balance in my mind form over function. Obviously if it made that big a difference I'd seriously consider it.

Good luck with your new project and keep us all posted.
thanks brother, i will be posting some new pics soon of the final exterrior look and the interrior look, and once that done i will be moving forward with the engine transplant.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR

funny , you asked that.. 2 months ago , we had a car meet in va. I ran into blackbenzz and he got that custom 2 intake on his clk 55 and we were talking about my car and stuff and asked if it is possible to have 2 intakes on my car..
he answered me the same thing what ash told you.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:13 AM

Thanks Mike.

It seems alot of people have tried to push the envelope but Mercedes didn't leave alot on the table. Vipclk320 did a good job!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
im happy with mine