CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Restoring fogged headlamps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Restoring fogged headlamps

One of the simpler and more cost effective projects for my CLK that I've been able to accomplish since I bought it 2 months ago is restoring the faded headlights. I looked online and saw diy ways to accomplish it using regular wet sanding and rubbing compound. In Walmart the other day I saw a headlamp restore kit from Turtle Wax for $8 so I decided to spring for it, figuring by the time I went and bought sand paper and rubbing compound it would be about that much.

So I put it to the test and I love the results. A simple job that anyone can do. It didn't restore them to "new" but light years better!
Attached Thumbnails Restoring fogged headlamps-headlights-driver-before.jpg   Restoring fogged headlamps-headlights-pass-before.jpg   Restoring fogged headlamps-headlights-driver-after.jpg   Restoring fogged headlamps-headlights-pass-after.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
FWIW. I did the wet paper thingie and got them in pretty good shape too however, I bought Aristocrat High Gloss Epoxy for about $10 + shipping. You can find it online. Mix a small amount and use a VERY fine paint brush(avoids small bubbles)to apply it and it's almost better than new.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 AM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Without even looking at the pictures, I'm sure that wet sanding and rubbing compound would do a much better job than Turtle Wax products (this goes for 3M too).
Old 11-22-2010, 02:19 PM

2001 CLK 320
i used the 3m wet sanding kit..worked very well..the mcguiares was horrible tho, i would not recommend it
Old 11-24-2010, 07:41 AM

2002 CLK-430
Hey dlberhns,

Do you have pictures to show :P i just wanna compare. Because I heard when you do the wet sand paper rubbing technique your scratching off some UV protective layer. And I also heard, some people use toothpaste, i.e youtube. I would appreciate it and have a good thxgiving. Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
hvn, I don't have any before an after pics but I can tell you that after, they look better than new with the epoxy clear coat. as far as a UV protective coating(?) if there was one there oem then why did the lense turn gray in the first place? after working down from coarse to fine paper I buffed them with rubbing compound and then put the epoxy. Tootpaste is abrasive, some more than others, most have sugar in them so I wouldn't go there.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:01 AM

'99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
The Turtlewax kit I used came with wet sanding pads, lubricant (probably just water), rubbing compound, and a sealer to throw on after all is said and done. I'm sure other off-the-shelf kits would have similar pieces. Just easier for me b/c it all came in one kit, and there's enough left to do it again on another car if needed
Old 11-28-2010, 04:52 AM

W208 CLK55
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
hvn, I don't have any before an after pics but I can tell you that after, they look better than new with the epoxy clear coat. as far as a UV protective coating(?) if there was one there oem then why did the lense turn gray in the first place? after working down from coarse to fine paper I buffed them with rubbing compound and then put the epoxy. Tootpaste is abrasive, some more than others, most have sugar in them so I wouldn't go there.
Must be some form of UV coating as my lights are perfect in the UK of A and 10 years old - we don't exactly get much sun here (quite a bit of rain usually) and certainly not as much as Pheonix
Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
honestly, I think salting the streets in winter does more to deteriotate lenses than anything.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 AM

W208 CLK55
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
honestly, I think salting the streets in winter does more to deteriotate lenses than anything.
Yes you could be right and it doesn't do the bodywork much good either