CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

AMG Brake Swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
AMG Brake Swap

Hi Guys.

I need help with fitment.

I'm bidding on a set of W211 '04 E 55 AMG 8 piston 360mm Brembo brakes (that's a mouthful ).

Can anyone help me in whether they would simply bolt on or do I need to buy the carriers and maybe spacers? The seller doesn't have the carriers or spacers, just calipers with discs and pads.

I know nyllet (a member here) put a pair on his wide body conversion. He hasn't replied to my pm yet so I thought I better post it up before bidding ends.

I'll be putting them on my '00 Clk 430.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
whatsup Paul, yes it can be done, you will need to have the caliper brackets, i'm not sure which model you have to use but i'm assuming w211 e55, also on the rotors you have to have a machine shop drill a hole to fit the allen screw that ties the rotor to the hub. as for the wheels you have to be running 19s to clear it from what i know because they are 8 pods front, i'm thinking of the same setup but havent got around the brake upgrade yet. pm me if you have anymore questions.

P.S. you will need to get longer brake fluid lines becasue you are converting a trail caliper to lead position(front or rear of the rotor)
Old 11-24-2010, 04:40 AM

Hi Ash.

Thanks for the quick response, as usual you're a wealth of information!
I'm running 19s already so I'll be looking to do all the things you mentioned. Final bidding ends this weekend so I'll let you know (everyone else too) how it went. Wish me luck!

Ps, I've just bought a set of Kleemann long tube headers! Once I find someone to custom tune them I'll do a post on how they feel .
Old 11-24-2010, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by Pauljay
Hi Ash.

I'm running 19s already so I'll be looking to do all the things you mentioned. Final bidding ends this weekend so I'll let you know (everyone else too) how it went. Wish me luck!

Ps, I've just bought a set of Kleemann long tube headers! Once I find someone to custom tune them I'll do a post on how they feel .
Verynice brother. I'm not that knowledgeable but i try to share what i know because others have done that for me here over the years. Best of luck with the auction for brakes and let me know if you need any addictional information, i'll be glad to help you out. keep me posted.

cheers
Old 11-24-2010, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
Hi Ash.

Just curious but what do you mean by custom tuning the headers? You may have to have your ECU custom tuned to eliminate the O2sensor reading functions. I say that because the long tube headers eliminate the primary cats and the O2 sensors. I talked with Kleeman in Colorado Spgs at length on the issue and there is no way around it. Not a simple plug and play.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Thanks dlbehrns.

That's what I meant.

To get the most out of the headers I will need an ECU custom tune. European cars are set up emissions wise differently to the US. We have 2 sensors only (left and right bank). Our sensors are pre cat so we don't get a cel light. Interestingly though 55AMG engines have 4 sensors, left and right bank pre cat and post cat. My 430 engine harness runs the 55 engine with a 55 ECU. The post cat signal has been turned off because the harness doesn't support it.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Hi Guys.

I need help with fitment.

I'm bidding on a set of W211 '04 E 55 AMG 8 piston 360mm Brembo brakes (that's a mouthful ).

Can anyone help me in whether they would simply bolt on or do I need to buy the carriers and maybe spacers? The seller doesn't have the carriers or spacers, just calipers with discs and pads.

I know nyllet (a member here) put a pair on his wide body conversion. He hasn't replied to my pm yet so I thought I better post it up before bidding ends.

I'll be putting them on my '00 Clk 430.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
I'm pretty sure "Dan ****" had this setup on his W208 CLK55. Do a search on his username and there is information on what he had to do to install.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
Interestingly though 55AMG engines have 4 sensors, left and right bank pre cat and post cat.

Its the same in the states on all models

Last edited by dlbehrns; 11-25-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Hi Chappy.

Thanks for the vote!

I sent Dan **** a pm and haven't got a response yet.

Good news!

I won the brake set!

Next job once my car gets back from having the headers fitted is to get these beauties installed.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Hi Chappy.

Thanks for the vote!

I sent Dan **** a pm and haven't got a response yet.

Good news!

I won the brake set!

Next job once my car gets back from having the headers fitted is to get these beauties installed.
pictures and details about the brakes asap please!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 PM

You got it Ash!

From the posts I've read about Dan ***** swap you have to have custom 'caps' made too, aswell as the stuff you mentioned!

I'll document it though. Work should start on Wednesday by trying to find a shop to make the brackets and caps. By then hopefully Thursday I should have the brakes posted out to me.