CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

AC Compressor / turning real easy with finger with no resistance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 clk 320
AC Compressor / turning real easy with finger with no resistance

My Ac was charged last year and worked great all year till I tried it for the first time this year. I had it charged again and it still had .9 out of 1.9 pressure. So I charged it up and still no cold air. The Compressor does turn on and spins. I am able to reach the compressor and spin it very easily with my finger and I can't really feel any resistance. A mechanic who deals with AC says that that the compressor is the issue and needs to be changed because a good one would not turn that easy. What do you guys think. I know the compressors are pretty expensive, but I found a Local guy on Ebay that has a brand new compressor and dryer for $220. I'm cool with buying it, but just didnt want to buy it yet till i checked with a few of you guys.

As always thanks for your help and advice.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by spillay
My Ac was charged last year and worked great all year till I tried it for the first time this year. I had it charged again and it still had .9 out of 1.9 pressure. So I charged it up and still no cold air. The Compressor does turn on and spins. I am able to reach the compressor and spin it very easily with my finger and I can't really feel any resistance. A mechanic who deals with AC says that that the compressor is the issue and needs to be changed because a good one would not turn that easy. What do you guys think. I know the compressors are pretty expensive, but I found a Local guy on Ebay that has a brand new compressor and dryer for $220. I'm cool with buying it, but just didnt want to buy it yet till i checked with a few of you guys.

As always thanks for your help and advice.
I must be missing something. You can spin the compressor with your finger? What about the V-belt? Could you post the AC diagnostic numbers?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 PM

2000 clk 320
Hi, thanks for responding. The ac numbers are:

1 103
2 83
3 111
4 110
5 108
6 154
7 8
8 87
9 4
10 0
20 0
21 7
22 0
23 0
24 14.3
40 8
41 5
42 232
43 14
Old 03-23-2011, 08:03 PM

2000 clk 320
Also, I'm goingto list what's happened so far:

-Ac worked fine in 09.
-Last year AC didnt work. Charged up with Freon and work great all summer long.
-this year Ac blows hot after trying it for first time a few weeks ago.
-A mobile Ac guy came out and charged it up for me and still did not work. Recommened replacing the compressor.
-Took car to mechanic whos helped me before with my lincolns AC. he connected his machine said there was no leaks, however there was no ac. He then Charged it up and advised it was electrical and advised checking with a Stealership.
-Local mercedes shop, connected a device to computer, and removed th codes and ac started to work and the EC lihgt went off. They said that the compressor was making a lot of noise and recommended replacing it as well as the Temp and Pressure switch. (said they would charge $450 for labor to replace it )
-Ac blew cold for a day or so then quit. I tried it today and did not blow cold at all.
-I found a local shop with a compressor and will pick it up soon to have my mechanic replace it. unless you think it's something else.
- so here I am with the codes.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Your left and right heater cores are 110+ degrees (#3 & #4). The best AC compressor in the world couldn't cool the interior with the heater cores that hot. My heater cores are in the 40's when my AC is on. Due to the heater cores, your evap sensor (#5) is also way hot. Mine reads in the 30's. If your freon pressure (#7) is that high while driving, it's normal. If it's that at idle, it's low. I'd start by checking the duovalve.