CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2000 CLK430 Window washer pump washer tank****READ ME**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 AMG
Exclamation 2000 CLK430 Window washer pump washer tank****READ ME**

A few weeks ago my window washer fluid kept running out. The mechanic told me the tank was cracked. When I took out the tank and filled it, it didn't leak, next I tried the grommets; on around the pump and one covering where the headlamps washer would be if I had the option. I thought it was the small grommet as water was coming out around it(the small grommet has a hole for the pump probe to go in and the pump itself snaps into the side compartment of the plastic washer tank on the outside. I replaced the grommet and even epoxied grommet for a tighter fit. The leak kept coming, from around the back of the grommet. At this point I pulled the hoses off again, there's two that are on top the tank they connect to a coil that cycles antifreeze from the engine through it to heat the washer fluid during the winter so it doesn't freeze. When you disconnect the coil clamp off about 4 inches down each rubber hose or you'll lose and get burned by antifreeze. When I took the tank off and took the pump off I filled the tank keeping my hand over the grommet to not let water out and then I stuck the pump in the hole but kept it up high enough so I could turn it around to see the back. There's an air port so the pump can breath. Water was actually coming out of the port and it shouldn't be; evidently the pump has internal seals that wore out, so the tank and the grommets were fine. Cost of repair less than $50.
Make sure you get VDO pumps, and put the metal heat shield back on the side of the tank. tighten your hose clamps but don't overtighten.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
good info. Where did you buy the VDO pump?