CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

water drops on glass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430...92 honda civic GSR turbo hatch
water drops on glass

Is there a way to get the dried up water marks from all the windows and mirrors. No matter how much i clean the windows the little water dots are still there. Is there a product on the market that will kill this?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Try vinegar and water or something like a bathroom tile cleaner that disolves mineral deposits. It won't hurt the glass.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
As an aside I've not been happy with the quality of MB glass.

On many windshields of cars after 2000 or so there are these little sparkles like the glass has hit sand or grit. It reminds me of cars that have been driven in desert storms or so on.

I haven't seen this this in my area on other makes. I used to drive Tacomas in some real messes on and off road. Of corse the frames rusted our by 100k miles but the windshields were pristine.

My tech said he's noticed the same thing and he works on these cars every day.

I'll try and get a picture of what I mean - it is distracting at night.

I wonder if there is a treatment or glaze that would fix this. I change wiper blades poperly and so on.

Any chemists have an idea of affix?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 AM

clk 320
a good quality glass cleaner should do it, meguairs make a good glass cleaner that i have found works really well, or check out some of the products here,
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/cat_10.html
they do high end detailing products
Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
It is sand blasting. The car is low and gets hit. In my state there is zero deductable on glass. I would get a nice long crack to get a new one.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 AM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
Try vinegar and water or something like a bathroom tile cleaner that disolves mineral deposits. It won't hurt the glass.
I wouldn't use bathroom tile cleaner since it probably wouldn't be a good outcome if some dripped onto the rubber trim or touched the paint. A mixture of vinegar, water, and baking soda should do the trick. Google it and there's tons of info on removing hard water spots on auto glass.

Originally Posted by grane

On many windshields of cars after 2000 or so there are these little sparkles like the glass has hit sand or grit. It reminds me of cars that have been driven in desert storms or so on.
It's because German automakers use softer glass than American or Japanese. Some speculate it's to reduce the chance of windshield shattering should a pebble smack the windshield if someone were traveling 90+mph on the Autobahn. Not sure the reason why. Only fix I can think of is getting harder glass (re: not MBZ OEM) or not traveling closely behind fast-moving vehicles (esp. 18 wheelers, trucks, and cars with wide rear tires). God help you if they're running slicks.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by twinsin

It's because German automakers use softer glass than American or Japanese. Some speculate it's to reduce the chance of windshield shattering should a pebble smack the windshield if someone were traveling 90+mph on the Autobahn. Not sure the reason why. Only fix I can think of is getting harder glass (re: not MBZ OEM) or not traveling closely behind fast-moving vehicles (esp. 18 wheelers, trucks, and cars with wide rear tires). God help you if they're running slicks.
Makes sense. BMW has the same problem.

Is there a windshield glass industry spec on glass hardness? (Somewhere I remember Mohs (not ohms) law of hardness.....)

That way I could make sure I am getting proper glass.

Would the afermarket have the features, eg, rain sensors, built into a MB windshield?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:30 PM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Originally Posted by grane
Makes sense. BMW has the same problem.

Is there a windshield glass industry spec on glass hardness? (Somewhere I remember Mohs (not ohms) law of hardness.....)

That way I could make sure I am getting proper glass.

Would the afermarket have the features, eg, rain sensors, built into a MB windshield?
No idea on the technicals of glass hardness or aftermarket windshields.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM

2001 CLK 430...92 honda civic GSR turbo hatch
thanks...ill try this and let u know the results.