CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help Car Problem!! starter issue!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Car Problem!! starter issue!!

Ok i need some help before I take it to the dealership for them to look at it and cost me my retirment fund ......

So the starter went out so i decided to replace it my self it all went well after a few knuckle buster!! try to start the car and the battery is dead for some reason so I jump it starter just spun. I turn off the car and the starter keeps spinning took the key out and still nothing the starter is just spinning so I quickly remove the battery cable and starter stop. So i waited a few minutes hoping car or starter will reset it self but nope once i plug in the battery starter just kept spinning!! i tried to to put th key on the on position and nothing stater spins and the key wont even trun!! I dont know what the hell is going on but i am totaly lost on the issue Please some one help!! thank you in advance!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Rx7? Which gen?

The new starter may be bad. If I had to guess, the solenoid.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 3rd gen rx7 ....

With the starter that will suck if the seloniod is bad ... but why would just keep running even though the key is on the off position?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
The power line to a starter is always hot. The solenoid performs switching duties, (1) engaging the starter gear and (2) allowing the starter itself to see current and spin. The solenoid does this based on a (lower amperage) signal from the starter switch when the key is turned. Ages ago, I had the exact same problem you're seeing on a Porsche starter (which was A LOT EASIER to remove than the starter in a CLK430, though just as pricey - all Bosch starters are expensive). Then I changed the way I get starters fixed. Now whenever I do starters or alternators on anything, I always bring them to a rebuilder and have the rebuilder do the unit I hand them. The rebuilder will then replace all the parts in the kit. Many companies that have contracts to rebuild starters and alternators for large retailers simply "fix whats broken". This allows them to use "parts of a kit", rather than the whole thing. Over the course of rebuilding lots of units, they save money on kits. This is also cheaper for me. My rebuilder charges less than $100 to do the 30 minutes of work thats required.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your starter has to come back out. Hopefully I'm wrong.