CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Panic Braking and something strage happend.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55,2003 CL55AMG
Panic Braking and something strage happend.

I was driving down the FDR in Manhattan at a steady clip in my CLK55 at about 50-55mph and all a sudden silver SLS caught my eye entering from the on ramp.. before I could wipe the Drool of the side of my face a Cab in front of me just stops.. prompting me to stomp on my brakes too. This was the hardest stop yet in this car and this is where it gets a little weird .. its a little hard to describe since it happened so fast.. When i was depressing the brake pedal with maxium force everything was working as it should the car nosed dived and i could feel the force of the weightshift of the car moving from back to front and the car slows to about 15 and at this time i was pulling my foot up in a controlled release but i swear it felt like the brakes were still grabbing for an instant, like the car knew that it still need to slow a little more to stabilize.. does this sound like anything someone has experienced before.. good or bad?

Last edited by CLK55_NYC; 07-14-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
In panic braking I believe the 208's will actually apply full brake force before you yourself can apply the pedal completely. So the car likely did that, and just needed a second after lifting off the pedal to obey. Glad things worked out, and you avoided a nasty crunch up.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 PM

2001 CLK55,2003 CL55AMG
Originally Posted by Coupecrazy
In panic braking I believe the 208's will actually apply full brake force before you yourself can apply the pedal completely. So the car likely did that, and just needed a second after lifting off the pedal to obey. Glad things worked out, and you avoided a nasty crunch up.
Really??? i guess that would make sense thinkig as im letting off the brakes the car still thinks im applying full pressure
Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Two words; Brake Assist. Brake Assist detects an emergency or panic stop by how quickly the brake pedal is applied and then, it applies full braking force. Once Brake Assist is engaged, it doesn't disengage instantaneously.

Think that’s odd? The first time I tracked an E55 at a press event, I brought the car back in after two laps and told the MB rep, the rear brakes are sticking – first one side, then the other. I didn’t know it had ESP (stability control).
Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Two words; Brake Assist. Brake Assist detects an emergency or panic stop by how quickly the brake pedal is applied and then, it applies full braking force. Once Brake Assist is engaged, it doesn't disengage instantaneously.

Think that’s odd? The first time I tracked an E55 at a press event, I brought the car back in after two laps and told the MB rep, the rear brakes are sticking – first one side, then the other. I didn’t know it had ESP (stability control).
That answers a question I had about my rear brakes when I take tight corners in a spirited manner. It's always the inside rear doing it, and I've checked the calipers several times for lubrication. Was a tad unsettled the first few times.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 clk 320 cabriolet
I guess I'll stick to the simple models. I hate it when a piece of machinery is condescending to its operator because it "thinks" it will make the better decision.

Time to go fior a motorcycle ride (no, not one of those overly electrified BMWs or Hondas that condescends to the rider).
Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM

2001 CLK55,2003 CL55AMG
Originally Posted by MarcusF

Ive never had a car that had that(brake assist).. scared the crap out of me.. as for the ESP, only use that for the rain. Nothing wrong with a little wheel spin

Last edited by CLK55_NYC; 07-15-2011 at 12:39 PM.