CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

'01 Timeport incompatible with Sprint PCS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E63
'01 Timeport incompatible with Sprint PCS

I just switched all my cell phones from Verizon to Sprint, and Sprint is telling me they can't activate my '01 Timeport (CLK55) on their network. As best I can tell from surfing this site and other places, the Timeports were made in groups for one carrier (or group of carriers) or another, and my phone is compatible with Verizon but not Sprint. Anyway, assuming Sprint is correct that it won't work, what's my best option? Is there a way to trade this phone for one that is compatible with Sprint (someone else may have the opposite problem going from Sprint to Verizon)? Is there a less expensive place to buy a Sprint compatible MB Timeport besides my local MB dealer? Thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 11:11 PM

2002 W208 CLK55 AMG
Hey bro-

I don't think there are ANY sprint compatible timeports in existence. Sprint uses a totally different network if I remember correctly.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:32 AM

CLK320
I have an '01 CLK Timeport that uses Sprint network.

When I bought my CLK they dealer gave me a Verizon Timeport. I thought I could have it activated by Sprint (because I think both Verizon and Sprint use CDMA technology). But Sprint could not do it. I was told that the problem was not due to incompatible technology, but because Sprint did not have an of the serial numbers/codes of Verizon Phone on Sprint system and therefore could not activate it.

I had to go back to exchange the Verizon Timeport for a Sprint Timeport.

I am somewhat regretting that I am stuck with Sprint, because Sprint has the worse plans now in terms of minutes per month as compared to others. And I cannot switch to either T-mobile or AT and T which offers better plans. Even Verizon has better plans than Sprint. Therefore, I am not sure why you want to switch from Verizon to Sprint.

There is one way that you may be able to switch to Sprint. You can look it Ebay to see if anyone is selling his/her Sprint Timeport. Few weeks ago when I checked, I found one seller selling an AT and T timeport. The last bid was at around $190. I think you can only get used MB Timports now. Even if you are willing to pay for it, I am not sure if you can buy it from MB dealers.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:38 AM
Larry Sonsini

Another option would be to find MBenzNL and get the nokia 6310i conversion for your phone system. Works perfectly with the existing MB System.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:22 AM

'10 E63
Wildbill, you want to swap timeports? The reason I switched to Sprint is because I also got a Treo to pick up my office e-mail and needed to use Sprint to do that because that's who my firm's account was with.

Larry, I'm thinking the cost of the Nokia conversion wouldn't justify it because I can get a new Sprint compatible timeport through my dealer for ~$450. I'll keep an eye on Ebay or maybe Wildbill or someone will want to trade phones.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Larry Sonsini

I have a timeport with attendant control module and cradle available, but how does one determine it's compatability with your network of choice? If it helps in the determination...I was told by the dealer that would work with any Service provider, and I signed it up with AT&T. However, is there any way to make sure?
Old 06-07-2003, 02:22 PM

'10 E63
I think the problem lies in the ESN's (electronic serial number). For some reason known only to Satan, they gave some batches of ESN's to one service provider, some to others, etc. If your ESN isn't in the provider's database, they can't recognize it (don't ask why they can't type it in somewhere--that would be way too sensible). If you (or I) had all the numbers off the inside of the phone Sprint should be able to verify whether it will work or not.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by Larry Sonsini
Another option would be to find MBenzNL and get the nokia 6310i conversion for your phone system. Works perfectly with the existing MB System.
Is that possible? Does it work? How can I contact this guy?

-s-
Old 06-09-2003, 01:25 AM

CLK320
R. Range, I would love to help you, But I cannot change my phone number. (If I change carrier, I would have to change my cell phone number.)

I would have bought an AT and T Timeport on Ebay if I can change my cell phone number easily.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by Wildbill
R. Range, I would love to help you, But I cannot change my phone number. (If I change carrier, I would have to change my cell phone number.)

I would have bought an AT and T Timeport on Ebay if I can change my cell phone number easily.
Wildbill, wait until after November of this year... a new law is being passed, to be taken in affect starting November 2003 where you CAN SWITCH between different cellular providers and still KEEP THE SAME PHONE NUMBER!!!

So, if you want a different phone, or a different carrier, but can't because you don't want to change numbers (like me), now you aren't restricted to your current carrier.

You can always buy the phone you want now, and wait until after November to activate that phone with whatever carrier you want....
Old 06-09-2003, 08:54 AM

'10 E63
It isn't a new law, it's a regulation the FCC has been trying to put in place for several years, but the carriers' lobbyists keep getting it delayed. Will it happen in November when it's currently scheduled to take effect? Maybe, maybe not. Given the track record on this reg, I sure wouldn't (and didn't) base a buying/switching decision on it.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
regulation... thats the word i was thinking of... but I gave up and just typed 'law'...

true, what you are saying is very true, but it looks like this time it might actually come true.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Sprint Timeport that was in an '01 CLK (and is now in my C32), so they're out there. The Sprint and Verizon phones are physically identical, the difference is in the phone's firmware. Verizon's Timeport is set up for their network (WAP site, etc) and Sprint's is set up for theirs (Shortmail, etc). Also, while Verizon will activate phones that aren't in their ESN database, Sprint WILL NOT. If the phone's ESN isn't in Sprint's database (meaning it's not an approved Sprint phone), they CANNOT activate it as their back-end system won't accept the ESN. Getting an ESN loaded into their database takes an act of g-d apparently, we have a medium-sized corporate account ($7-$10k monthly) and couldn't get it done. Search Ebay, you'll find one. You also might check with the BMW dealership. Their CPT-8000 will work just fine in your carkit. I know this from experience.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:34 PM

2001 CLK 320
I've been looking in to the Motorola Timeport P8767 for use on the Sprint network.

The phone itself is actually available for purchase and activation (I found it thru Sprint and eBay), but I'm not sure if it requires proprietary MB software/firmware on it.

Does anyone know if all Timeport P8767s work, or just those distributed by MB?

-Additionally, the reason the same model of phone doesn't work on different wireless carriers is due to the network technology. Although Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA networks, they operate at a different frequency (for lack of a better term). Various other technologies (GSM, TDMA, etc.) are in place for other carriers like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Cingular, which similarly render these model phones useless inter-carrier.

-Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-10-2003, 12:36 PM

2001 CLK 320
Just as a follow-up, here's the reply I got from Sprint:

<snip>

Further, we do offer the Motorola Timeport P8767 handset. To
activate a new PCS Phone, you need to contact us by dialing *2TALK
from your PCS Phone or 1-888-211-4727 from a landline phone.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Vicky M.
eCare

<snip>

-Chris