CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK Ticking noise around 1500rpm, please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 CON
CLK Ticking noise around 1500rpm, please help

Hi everybody

I need assistance with my CLK Conv. 320 from 2000. 140 K miles.

When ever the car is warmed up, I can hear a ticking noise from the engine. Its most audible around 1500 rpms and sounds like "tick tick tick" very fast. As a gain rpms or speed it disappears. Maybee i can not hear the ticking noise at higher speed or RPM, im not sure. I can not hear the ticking when idle.

The ticking is gone if I put me foot away from the throttle. Im not sure if i can hear the ticking if I put in neutral and push it to 1500RPMs while driving.

I have been to a mechanic lately and I have had the following done to the Merch:
- Change of transission fluid / cover
- Change of oil 3 times in 5000 miles (free)
- Complete flush of the engine and inside clean
- Gasket covers have been changed
- Engine Mounts are brand new
- New tires

I live in Florida so the weather is hot and humid. The car has always been running at temps. between 85-100 Celcius.

The mechanic have told me not to worry to much about it, but it is a Benz and I wan it to be quiet and I dont wan the engine to go bad on me just because i didnt change something faulty....

Could it be the lifters? And is that an expensive job to do?

The car it self is in very good condition and has an extensive service history.

Please help me

I appreciate your help
Old 09-29-2011, 06:34 PM

CLK 320 CON
Or could it be because somebody was overheating the car at some time?

I hope there is nothing wrong

please help
Old 09-30-2011, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
The technical answer is - it's probably the purge valve.

The non technical answer is it commonly comes from a black circular thingy (approx 2" diameter) towards the front drivers side of the engine bay, by the ABS box. It has a couple of wires, a couple of tubes and has the word MOT on it.

In either case, the next time you hear the ticking, touch the purge valve and see if you can feel it pulsing in synch with the tapping sound. If so, that's the problem. Some have tried insulating the valve (the metal holder allows it to make noise). Others have been satisfied with knowing it's a noisy / occasionally loud purge valve that may or may not fail.

If you disconnect it, the noise will stop and the check engine light will come on. If it dies, the noise will stop and the check engine light will come on.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:15 PM

clk55
Originally Posted by MarcusF
The technical answer is - it's probably the purge valve.

The non technical answer is it commonly comes from a black circular thingy (approx 2" diameter) towards the front drivers side of the engine bay, by the ABS box. It has a couple of wires, a couple of tubes and has the word MOT on it.

In either case, the next time you hear the ticking, touch the purge valve and see if you can feel it pulsing in synch with the tapping sound. If so, that's the problem. Some have tried insulating the valve (the metal holder allows it to make noise). Others have been satisfied with knowing it's a noisy / occasionally loud purge valve that may or may not fail.

If you disconnect it, the noise will stop and the check engine light will come on. If it dies, the noise will stop and the check engine light will come on.
After driving the car a few times after it being stored for the winter for the last few months I noticed this on and off ticking. I've been paranoid the last few days worrying about what may or may not be going out on the car. Today I noticed that immediately upon starting the car it would begin doing this ticking before it even warmed up. It would cycle on and tick maybe 40-50 times and then stop for about the same amount of time. It doesn't increase in frequency with RPMs. (Just adding these details for the next guy with this problem.)

I didn't have high hopes of finding a relevant thread by searching for "ticking from engine bay" but here we are. Only one thread came up for the search, this one.

I just went out and found the purge valve and after feeling it pulse with the ticks confirmed that is exactly where it is coming from.

Thanks MarcusF, another satisfied customer!

Now to find a source to buy a new one.

edit: found it on autohausAZ, part number # 0004705593 for $80.00

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...0Purge%20Valve

photo: https://i.imgur.com/Sh4n2Um.jpg
Attached Thumbnails CLK Ticking noise around 1500rpm, please help-sh4n2um.jpg  

Last edited by 55cab; 03-06-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:57 PM

clk55
Found some other threads about this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-clicking.html

This thread says it is louder in colder weather which would explain things since it has been COLD here.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...engine+ticking
Attached Thumbnails CLK Ticking noise around 1500rpm, please help-2013-12-08124119.jpg