CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dismantling the dashboard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
Dismantling the dashboard

searched all over the forums but could not find a DIY (preferrably with pix) showing how to dismantle the CLK dash. I found some on instrument cluster removal and side air vent replacements but really none on the center dash/console. This is the portion where the center air vent, radio, ac controls are. I'm afraid to crack the clips and some vital parts because my car is rather old. I hope someone points me to the right direction. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
vip to the rescue again. lol. here it goes:

take off the radio, the ac control, the wood trim around it, the pocket under the radio, the wood around the shifter(the one with the switches on it

then you will notice that the ashtray is held on the center consul vi two philips screws on the bottom of the wood grain pece that just removed, remove thos screws and pull the ashtray out and disconnect the wire from the lighter behinde the ashtray.

then open the armrest/storage box, you will see a t shaped plastic that sits right under the storage push bottons where the cup holder meets the atorage box, pop that plastic off and you will see two phillips screws, remove those as well.

next in the ac control area there are two screws that are holding the top leather trim piece of the center consol against the top dash, they are gold screws, one on each side, remove those and then thee are two clips that are right by the screws, pull n those very gently and you will notice that the top leather trim will come off.

nect on each side of the foot area there are two air vents, remove those by turning the pastic screw on them half way and they will come out.

next open the storage box/armrest and remove the carpet piece on the bottom and there are two screws under it, remove those as well.

on the passenger side and driver side remove the under dash covers. big plastic piece with 3 screws on holding each side in.

now gently pull the center consul back toward the rear seats and then up and it will come right out.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:55 PM

CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
Hey vip how you doin Man? Thanks for this. I just need you to elaborate on a few segments of your very valuable instructions above:
1. The wood trim around the ac controls, does it easily come off if I pop it out with a flat screw driver or a panel removal Tool? Pry from any Side?
2. The wood trim surrounding the shifter, pry and pop out style as Well? Any breakable teeths I should worry About?
3. If I successfully remove the ac controls plus the wood trim, will I be able to take out and replace the center air Vent? My center airvent does not swivel anymore hence I have to replace it.
Thanks again vip. Oh by the way OT here but the Clks out of the shop now after a month and a half now with your beautiful Skirts! Will post some pix soon :-)
Old 12-10-2011, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
if your just changing the center vent you dont need to remove the center consul, just remove the top leather trin piece that sits on top f the center consul.

the wood aroud the shifter just grab a edge by the ashtray or the cup holder and pull it up.

in order to remove the top leather trim piece you do have to remove the ashtray assembly

the wood around the ac control is very easy to remove, take off the ac control and disconnect the wires, then pull out and up on the bottom of the woodpece and it comes right out.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:58 AM

CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
Thanks vip. Successfully changed my center air vent without breaking anything :-) now on to the left and right air vents I go... (plus the shifter reverse light switch repair I'm gonna attempt) :-( Cheers!
Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
Thanks vip. Successfully changed my center air vent without breaking anything :-) now on to the left and right air vents I go... (plus the shifter reverse light switch repair I'm gonna attempt) :-( Cheers!
side vents are very easy, there is one screw inside the vents for the right side its on the top left inside and for the left side its on the top right inside, you can see them through the vents. and there is one screw on the bottom where the bottom piece of the dash meets the top piece of the dash, just loosen up the bottom piece of the dash on both side, enought to see the gold screw right below the vent on each side and then take out the top screws (inside the vents) and your good to go.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 AM

CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
Thanks vip! Will operate on the C this weekend. By the way, I couldn't find the screws securing the ashtray, are they hidden somewhere?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Just look on Youtube there loads of step by step dashboard removals?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
Thanks vip! Will operate on the C this weekend. By the way, I couldn't find the screws securing the ashtray, are they hidden somewhere?
once you remove the big wood trim around the shifter, the one that the window switches and the mirror switch and stuff sit on, you will see two black screws on each side of the shifter assembly right by the ashtray assembly, they are two small black phillips screws.you remove those and then pull the ashtray assembley toward the shifter and up at the same time.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Some pics.
Removing dash.
Removing console.
Removing ashtray.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dash Remove Install.pdf (627.9 KB, 1936 views)
Console Remove Install.pdf (434.0 KB, 1429 views)
Console Ashtray Remove Install.pdf (208.7 KB, 1047 views)

Last edited by Pancho; 12-13-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 AM

CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
guys, appreciate all your help here. I have successfully changed my center air vent and left side air vent because of all your help and infos. The right side vent is next....then the reverse switch repair/rehab in the shifter will be last :-)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM

CLK
Originally Posted by VIPclk320
if your just changing the center vent you dont need to remove the center consul, just remove the top leather trin piece that sits on top f the center consul.

the wood aroud the shifter just grab a edge by the ashtray or the cup holder and pull it up.

in order to remove the top leather trim piece you do have to remove the ashtray assembly

the wood around the ac control is very easy to remove, take off the ac control and disconnect the wires, then pull out and up on the bottom of the woodpece and it comes right out.
Hi VipClk,
How do you remove the the top leather trim piece only? I was fiddling with the center console cup holder/box and took out the lid, now the lid locking mechanism and its springs are between the side panels covering the center console and the box itself, it seems that i need to remove the leather trim and unscrew the cup holder box base to re attach locking pins and springs ... any advise well be very much appreciated...
Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 PM

2000 CLK320

I removed the ashtray entirely but how do you separate the wood from the actual ashtray? Is it possible to replace that top wood piece? See pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails Dismantling the dashboard-ashtray.jpg   Dismantling the dashboard-ashtray2.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 AM

2000 CLK320
Originally Posted by averageclk320
I removed the ashtray entirely but how do you separate the wood from the actual ashtray? Is it possible to replace that top wood piece? See pictures attached.
Got it finished. There are no screws to remove. Open the ashtray and pull up until it slides off!
Old 04-30-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 Cabrio 2001
Replacing rear floor carpet

side vents are very easy, there is one screw inside the vents for the right side its on the top left inside and for the left side its on the top right inside, you can see them through the vents. and there is one screw on the bottom where the bottom piece of the dash meets the top piece of the dash, just loosen up the bottom piece of the dash on both side, enought to see the gold screw right below the vent on each side and then take out the top screws (inside the vents) and your good to go.
VIP, will this info get me to the point to where I can remove the rear carpet?

Thanks,

Sirswift93