CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Newbie seeks help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 230 and 430 covertible
Newbie seeks help

Hi Guys justed joined the forum, looks like a great resource for owners.
I need help !!!!!!!!!!

I have just bought my 2nd mercedes a clk 430 year 2000, my wife has a 230 komp cab as well, the 430 was cheap so couldnt resist but has a few problems.

When you start the car bas abs esp and brake warning lights come on straight away and stay on. I have checked the brake lights all working but I do have a rear sidelight out.

when driven the warning lights stay on.

The speedo is not working the dash also displays a message on startup and driving" esp defective visit workshop !" on the dash display.

Also the car is only driving in one gear (I think its in limp mode) the selector lever goes through all the gears fine when statinaoary reverse works etc,the tiptronic is not functioning and when in drive and driven, the gearbox does not change gear. It is in one gear suspect third as does 30mph at just below 3000rpm (checked on sat nav for speed) limp home mode I think. tip shift dosnt function,although stick moves left and right.

Can a faulty speedo sensor cause all this (no speed signal) ?

If so where is it located and how can I test it. Any help ideas welcome. I am hopeing it may be something simple,or worst case the esp abs unit and ecu. I have factored one of these in to repair the car in the price that i paid for it. I also thought I might be able to swop some parts off my other clk if they are the same for testing.

Also hood has an issue as well when you release the latch the windows go down but then thats it, the red hood switch also is not illuminated or flashing when hood latch released,and when you push it down at the front of the switch there is no spring restistance,also when unlatched the hood dosnt move up that first few inches under spring tension,you have to assist it (push it up a little by hand). Could there be a spring off or micro switch issue,can they be tested and where are they located ? Or could it just be the hood switch is broken,also is there a fuse for the hood or hood switch if so where is it ?

Another thing worth noting the car is new to me and I dont know much about is as the radio code needs putting in I suspect the battery has been flat. I am going to check the voltage whilst the engine is cranking to see if its below 9.5 volts. and will also check if its 12.4/ 5 at the battery when its switched I have read that low battery voltage below the figures above can lead to some of the faults,though not sure what the gearbox issue is though.

I would greatfully receive any advice,i am reasonably capable to do some testing myself need some idot proof instruction to follow though !
Also is there a manual on line anywhere to veiw ?

Thanking forum members in advance for any help advice.

Much Appreciated.

thanks

Simon
Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
"When you start the car bas abs esp and brake warning lights come on straight away and stay on. I have checked the brake lights all working but I do have a rear sidelight out."

Even though the brake lights work the switch may be defective. Inexpensive fix.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by evo3500
When you start the car bas abs esp and brake warning lights come on straight away and stay on.

Another thing worth noting the car is new to me and I dont know much about is as the radio code needs putting in I suspect the battery has been flat. I am going to check the voltage whilst the engine is cranking to see if its below 9.5 volts. and will also check if its 12.4/ 5 at the battery when its switched I have read that low battery voltage below the figures above can lead to some of the faults,though not sure what the gearbox issue is though.
The first problem is most likely your brake lamp switch, about $20 and 10 mins to fix.

Second may be the voltage regulator, located inside the alternator. Reading the engine codes should help diagnose that. GL!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
have you tried the reset? if the battery was dead you need to do a rest first.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Here's a link to an instructional I did on the brake light switch repair.
Parts.com: MB part # 0015456409 $15 + $10.99 + 2 S&H = $27.99

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...cabriolet.html

Last edited by Pancho; 12-13-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Here is an instructional I put together on various reset procedures.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Reset Procedures.pdf (20.8 KB, 260 views)