CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

What would you guys pick, HRE or iForged...and why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
What would you guys pick, HRE or iForged...and why?

HRE has the glamorous name and matching price but it has a longer history than iForged.

The history of iForged isn't as deep as HRE, hence (probably) the less expensive prices.

Both are forged...so one would think that the process is similar to both, thereby wheel strength from each wouldn't be too much of a big difference.

thanks for any inputs...

Last edited by Arnee; 07-03-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very simple...what would you prefer:

case 1: if you have a set of HRE, ppl will say "wow, HRE! wohooo, they are awesome, must be pretty expensive, you've taste, man!".
case 2: if you have a set of iForged, ppl will say "wow, what are those wheels? iForged? Never heard of them, nice!"

If money is no object: HRE. If money is an object: iForged. Why buy something (iForged) that pretends to be something (HRE) when it is not?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Iforged wheels aren't bad, but there is a big difference in the craftsmanship between Iforged and HRE. Granted, HRE is much more expensive, but you do get a better looking wheel. Iforged wheels are too jagged/rough looking (in person) to me, whereas HRE's are much more soft and refined. If HRE wheels were the same price as Iforged, it would be a no-brainer.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:37 PM

I haven't seen iForged wheels in person. It sounds like from what you're saying, there is at least one reason for the price difference -- craftsmanship.

I've seen HREs in person and I guess I never thought that iForged would be "jagged/rough looking."

As far as what Harris said, he has a point... no offense to anyone but I guess to the picky, iForged are poor-man's HREs. I guess that's safe to say w/o starting a flame war?

Originally posted by Mach430
Iforged wheels aren't bad, but there is a big difference in the craftsmanship between Iforged and HRE. Granted, HRE is much more expensive, but you do get a better looking wheel. Iforged wheels are too jagged/rough looking (in person) to me, whereas HRE's are much more soft and refined. If HRE wheels were the same price as Iforged, it would be a no-brainer.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me, iForged is just as good as HREs, and the price is very reasonable. Once iForged gets bigger, the prices will eventually go up, so get it now before the price doubles ! !

-Bruce
Old 07-03-2003, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
HRE's
Why?
Because you can order them any way you want, Chrome, Polished, a combination of either.
You can get custom sizes to your application/needs.
You can replace any part very easily at any time with very little down time. (In case you scrap a curb or bend a wheel).
Just my 2 cents worth.
Tim
Old 07-04-2003, 01:03 AM

Yep...

Originally posted by Timster
HRE's
You can replace any part very easily at any time with very little down time. (In case you scrap a curb or bend a wheel).
Tim
Old 07-04-2003, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Timster
HRE's
Why?
Because you can order them any way you want, Chrome, Polished, a combination of either.
You can get custom sizes to your application/needs.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Tim
Hm... iForged can make any finish too, I got mine in brushed aluminum w/ polish lip, custom offsets and the lip they promised to give me.

-Bruce
Old 07-04-2003, 03:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yes, Iforged can do the same, they basically are quite simliar to HRE. But (and no offense to Bruce) the quality is not the same. Put both wheels side by side, and you can tell the difference any time.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:21 AM
TNH

It's all about how much you want to spend. The HRE's are the ultimate, but the Iforged are beauties as well. If you are not completely obsessed with your car then you may want to go with the less expensive but still high quality wheels.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:22 AM
TNH

I was about to buy some less expensive carlsson's from ebay, but then I got bit by the obsessed car bug, and I had to throw out for the fabulous wheels from Japan. I will post pics of my car with them once I have my body kit installed.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
It's amazing how completely obsessed with your cars you guys are!! Are you kidding me, iForged are not high quality?? What do you think of Carlsson, Lorinser, Brabus?

Let's be real, you guys are going for the look and exclusivity, not build quality or workmanship. How many of you would actually use HREs or iForged as track wheels??

I'm perfectly happy with my no-name, good looking wheels, and can buy at least 2 sets of them for the price of HREs....my .02
Old 07-04-2003, 03:18 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
truthfully I think HRE looks better on a porsche or aston martin and regardless of what the brochure advertises i've never thought they looked good on a mercedes. For the price you can probably find another wheel more excllsive to mercedes that will fit your needs.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EUropean Freaks
Guys! I believe both brands are good but its all depend on each person what they like. RIght?For me, HRE is bot suitable for Mercedes benz. HRE's Good for Exotice cars and muscle car also Bimmer. ITs not that you pay more expensive rims like HRE's so peoples will say ''WOW HRE mAn''' For me HRE's is good brands and Iforged too.

Iforged is just new brand. Let they settle dwn first and step by step they will cover all the lacking or the bad things about that brands. Is the same things like doing business,There is no such things that there is a fst way to do business. Everythings have to do step by step to be a succesfull business or what ever. So both rims are good. no offense for tthat particulary rims.

Good luck guys
Old 07-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up HRE!!

Arnee

Like what i told you before just get HRE it's worth it! And their customer service is not bad. Just ask Peter!
Old 07-07-2003, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Whichever Design fits your liking the best

Pick the one with the more appealing design and lip for your car. Then decide whether the name on the wheel makes it look better than the other!
I love HRE and agree that they do look the best on Porsche and Aston Martin. However, a clean mesh, like the 540R or a simple spoke design like the 840R on a slammed CLK would look pretty hot as well!
Post up some pics of the wheels you are considering from i Forge and we'll have a better idea...
Old 07-08-2003, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
iforged is NOT the way to go - just search on e46fanatics for "iforged" to see what REALLY goes on

a very large percentage of dissatisfied customers, to put it in a nutshell

Old 07-08-2003, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Smile Thanks

Pete, Thanks for sharing those posts. Very enlightening. I did not know about iForge and wouldn't have if not for these posts!
HRE all the way or Bust!
Old 07-08-2003, 03:29 PM

yeah, thanks.