CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Steering box or ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Steering box or ???

Hey guys, I have been driving my 2000 CLK430 for about 9 months now. The previous owner (jbenz99) was a mechanic and really took care of it. I have a question regarding the steering feel. It has always felt a little vague and wild to me. I feel like I really have to hold on to keep it straight some times, especially when driving a little aggressive. Now I am wondering if this is normal for the car, or if I have a problem, possibly with the steering box? After reading some info I'm going to replace the damper strut soon and see if that helps. I have read some stuff about the steering box, but no one has really described a before and after from changing this. I also see that there may be some adjustment that can be done.

I feel like the car has heavy steering compared to my previous asian cars. I don't feel a lot of center play when sitting still or driving, but when I turn fully to one side or the other I feel like there is play at the end (sitting still). The vague "hold on" feeling seems to be amplified by wet roads as well, it kind of scares me. I thought that might just be grip issues with the sport tires in the rain.

This is also my first rear-wheel drive car and most powerful I have ever had, so I though it might just be the way this type of car handles, but the suspension is supposed to be really good design. I just feel like my old Honda Prelude was much more nimble and aggressive with very direct steering compared to this car.

Can anyone confirm if this is normal, or what might be the cause? Can you explain what you have replaced / fixed, and how it felt before and after?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
The one downside of the W208 suspension design is its archaic recirculating ball steering. Most vehicles with a rack and pinion unit will provide more steering feel. If the steering feels exceedingly vague and the steering gear bolts haven’t been serviced in the last 4 years or 50K miles, that may help. Provided you own a torque wrench, the service is simple and takes very little time. This link explains the service.
The following users liked this post:
flapjack (11-26-2017)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Thanks, I already checked the torque on the bolts.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
Wider rims and tires will make the the steering feel funky, especially in a tight turn at full lock. My oem rims were 7" wide and I have 8" now and I could feel the diff immediately. You might try replacing the steering damper. How many miles on the car and has there been any suspension/steering work done?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
I had a similar problem and once I changed the complete drag link that solved the issue. The complete drag link ALS includes inner and outer tie rods. Also buy oem from the dealer or parts .com don't buy the crap on eBay I did and it went out in two monts. Once you did that get a proper alignment an you should be good to go.