CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Front side seat squeaks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front side seat squeaks

Hi - My driver site seat makes lots of noises (squeaks). Is there a remedy other than using WD40 (it smells)? - Thanks
Old 07-24-2003, 10:36 AM

C350
My dealer put some padding on the leather where it touches the plastic. But after a while it started happening again so I have an appointment for next month...
Old 07-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK430
my front seats also squeak...

dealer wanted $125 to put some saddle soap on the leather by the plastic base. I thought I should try by my self first... but haven't had the time to get to it...
Old 07-24-2003, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Front side seat squeaks

Originally posted by tony-clk
Hi - My driver site seat makes lots of noises (squeaks). Is there a remedy other than using WD40 (it smells)? - Thanks
Try Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner (not the cleaner/conditioner, the "step 2 of a 2 step process"). It seems to last a pretty long time in the reduction of squeaks, and doesn't end up making the leather really shiny like some other products.

-s-
Old 07-24-2003, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This question has been asked many times before and no single complete solution has ever been provided. Its always something along the lines of take it to the dealer or my dealer fixed it. People don't realize that the reason you ask is because you don't want to deal with the dealer in the first place or can't due to lack of warranty.

Anyway what I have accumulated about this subject is that in MY99 CLK, the chairs squeak because the leather seats rub against the plastic frame causing the noise; on both the passenger side and driver sides seat. The remedy by MBUSA was to change out the lower portions of the seat to a different material in all MY 00 + years.

The most common fixes for MY99 are to lubricate the parts with some sort of lubrication grease. This is only a temporary fix because the lubricant will dry out. You can also apply a layer of felt or cloth in between the spots that rub but this is also a temporary fix because the felt usually ends up moving out of place and you have to re-adjust it every couple of sittings. My only problem is that I can never see or hear exactly whats rubbing so I can't try either method.
Hope this answers your question.

If anyone has any pics that can point out exactly where this queaky occours, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by J Lucas; 07-24-2003 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Mercedes has Some Bulk FELT with a Adhesive on one side to secure it that is Used for the dreaded squeak!
Install it on the Plastic Covers and The Squeak WILL Go away!
I Have Done Several of the Squeaky Seats..and This will Fix it!
Old 07-24-2003, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mark if this is true you have just made me the happiest ive been in for A LONG time if that means anything. Do you know how embarassing it is to be on a first date with a shorty and you driving and talking and it keeps squeaking? You lose like 453 cool points and extend the sex game wait for AT LEAST another week........
Where can I purchase this felt?how much does it cost? and where do you apply it?

Originally posted by MARK CUMMINS
Mercedes has Some Bulk FELT with a Adhesive on one side to secure it that is Used for the dreaded squeak!
Install it on the Plastic Covers and The Squeak WILL Go away!
I Have Done Several of the Squeaky Seats..and This will Fix it!

Trending Topics

Old 07-24-2003, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by J Lucas
Mark if this is true you have just made me the happiest ive been in for A LONG time if that means anything. Do you know how embarassing it is to be on a first date with a shorty and you driving and talking and it keeps squeaking? You lose like 453 cool points and extend the sex game wait for AT LEAST another week........
Where can I purchase this felt?how much does it cost? and where do you apply it?
You can get it at the MB dealer. I don't have the part number handy, but I usually buy several meters of it at once for under $20.

Also, ALL model 00+ cars did not require the fix, as the ones with orthopedic seats (multicontour) don't have leather in the problem area.

-s-