CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Battery recommendations (non OEM)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by MGAMK2
I read here that a couple of ECU items need to be reset after replacing the battery (for instance, power window settings) --- have those who have replaced their battery used some sort of maintainer (e.g. 9v battery wired into the lighter socket).

as an example
http://www.overstockedcomputer.com/p....asp?ID=846054
Doesn't the ignition have to be on for the lighter circuit to be active? If so, I think it's a very bad idea to swap batteries with the ignition on.

This webpage will tell you how to keep a charge while swapping a battery. As an aside, resetting the steering, windows, stereo, sunroof, and seats doesn't take very long.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
I thought about hooking up a jump box or cables to the terminals while I swap the battery, but I agree, that it is not too much trouble to reset a couple of things, and I also wanted to reset the computer adaptations. I don't want to risk shorting something expensive either.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Doesn't the ignition have to be on for the lighter circuit to be active? If so, I think it's a very bad idea to swap batteries with the ignition on. As an aside, resetting the steering, windows, stereo, sunroof, and seats doesn't take very long.
Strongly agree.

Additionally, always remove the battery's negative cable first, which will isolate the battery from chassis ground.

Even when the ignition switch is fully off, some sensitive electronic circuits remain operational. Another reason is that, when removing the positive cable, it's very likely that the wrench will make contact with nearby chassis ground and become am 'arc' welding machine. For the same reason, it's best not to connect a second battery just to avoid having to reset a couple of items.

Likewise, when installing the battery, always connect the negative cable last.

The procedure to reset the ESP, windows, seats and radio code are covered in your owners manual.

The correct battery size for a W208 is H8. In addition to having the electrical capacity, it has the front and rear bottom flanges to securely hold it in place. Although Walmart sells them for $120, I bought the MB battery from the dealer for only $20 more.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK430
Looking for the best battery aswell.

My battery finally died and is not able to hold a charge. So its time for a new one.
Believe it of not, the battery has lasted 11 years and was the Original Battery from Mercedes. Im sure it would have lasted longer if I would have disconnected the battery before leaving my car parked in the garage for 6 months untouched. My fault.
Remember to always disconnect your car batterys if you are gonna leave your car parked for a long time. Meaning months and months.

Im looking for a battery to meet these standards.lol
Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 4matic 2004
Pep Boys Bosch battery

I too got the Pep boys special battery and they installed it for free which was a nice perk and gave me 18$ back for the old one. Not sure how good it is as I left it in the garage overnight and the 2nd day it needed to be jumped. Bought one of those little Duracell jumper batteries that fit in a glove box just to be safe. Anyone else have any experience with the Bosch Batteries from them? I thought Bosch and Mercedes would play nicely as they are both German, but turns out these Bosch batteries are made in the US. Do they need to be charged up from driving for a while? Or should they be good right from the store? I also stopped by a Mercedes dealership today and saw they we’re using a black and decker battery conditioner /charger plugged into ac for a 2018 s550. I figured if it’s good enough for a 80k 2018 sclass it’s good enough for me and bought one too for $30 bucks on Amazon. The service man said that I shouldn’t connect it to the battery directly but use the terminals in the passenger footwell. Would it make sense to trickle charge the new battery to get it up to better performance??

Last edited by Arkmerc; 05-09-2018 at 10:49 PM.