CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

MarcusF - DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 CLK 320
MarcusF - DIY

Thanks to your recommendation on your DIY I replaced both my fuel filter and fuel pump. Car feels stronger, better, faster

Stock CLK 430s are getting further and further in my rear view...lol All I need now is a custom CF DriveShaft.

http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/DI...uelfilter.html

Last edited by Williams707; 11-26-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E430 Sport 34K, 2002 E320 (38K) ,1999 CLK320, sold, 2003 BMW 540ia (26K) sold
just did the same exact job Wed evening...

I bought the fuel pump and filter from FCP euro.
Pump was $189 Pierburg, filter Bosch $33.55. Less 5% discount.
Just got an email from them today offering 10% discount!!

They substituted a TI Automotive fuel pump and claimed it to be OEM when i called. They did apologize and promised to send one with Pierburg label if I wished.

I searched for more information on TI and found the company acquired Pierburg in 2003 /

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI_Automotive

It seems that Mercedes still sells the pump with the Pierburg label. Mine was leaking so I put the TI on. Can't notice any difference at all.

OEM has little meaning sometimes..

This job is messy due to gas spilling, though the OEM clamps come off super easy and must be replaced anyway. You should buy a foot of fuel line and replace the one between the pump and filter using the filter for sizing.
Much easier to drop the carriage from the 4 rubber mounts when changing these parts...
Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Williams707
Thanks to your recommendation on your DIY I replaced both my fuel filter and fuel pump. Car feels stronger, better, faster

Stock CLK 430s are getting further and further in my rear view...lol All I need now is a custom CF DriveShaft.

http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/DI...uelfilter.html

Stock 430s are getting smaller cause - you da man!

Everything on your car is light years ahead of the rest of us. You've got the Japanese spec exhaust, the factory speed limiter removal (I think yours has this - same as the German models), and the ultra rare CP1 sport package. On top of that, you've got all the best mods available.

Just "looking" at your instrument cluster had me tearing my cluster apart today. Truth be told, it was the combination of your cluster and my "pixelated clock". I fixed temperature display, but the wires on that clock are a pain. The clock is turned off again for now (removed the bulb).
Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Stock 430s are getting smaller cause - you da man!

Everything on your car is light years ahead of the rest of us. You've got the Japanese spec exhaust, the factory speed limiter removal (I think yours has this - same as the German models), and the ultra rare CP1 sport package. On top of that, you've got all the best mods available.

Just "looking" at your instrument cluster had me tearing my cluster apart today. Truth be told, it was the combination of your cluster and my "pixelated clock". I fixed temperature display, but the wires on that clock are a pain. The clock is turned off again for now (removed the bulb).
I really have to give thanks to PaulJay who told me about NastyCLK cluster project. My cluster was the prototype from that project. I have to also give thanks to NastyCLK to allowing me to grab his prototype cluster. We have the only two made in the world. I've had it on my ride since 08/2009

Ash said my CLK320 has something else that's not on the US 320s, something about an oil cooler on my engine.
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...tom-dials.html

If I remember correctly the limiter could be changed with some special fondling techniques with the menu controls which my dealer hookup did for me but it was also removed with the ECU tune along with my RPM limit moved up to 6K.

Didn't know about the rare CP1 package, how can you tell? Is it my rare two tone seats? I just thought it was an Avantgarde with a Designo Package. Hard to enquire about my car because it's Japanese spec and everything is in Japanese which I can't read.

Your intro sounded like you were doing an article on my ride...lol

Last edited by Williams707; 11-27-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
I know your car has the CP1 option because it has the "sport" side markers and the 430/55 aero package. Based on what I've seen, your car is loaded. I’m guessing it left the factory with the K3 (power sunroof, rain-sensing wipers, power rear-window sunshade) and K4 (heated front seats, rain-sensing wipers, Xenon headlights w/washers) options, plus the Birdseye maple wood (in place of the standard walnut trim) and the factory two tone leather interior (another separate option). If it has COMAND and the multicontour seats, that’s literally every option available. The phone option was also available, but those are all obsolete/won’t work/museum pieces.

I didn't know about the oil cooler. In fact, I didn't know oil coolers were available on non-AMG vehicles. Mercedes currently has something called the Performance Studio. The Performance Studio was opened in 2006 and is run by AMG. Before then, Mercedes had another place where cars were shipped to be customized. It wouldn’t surprise me if AMG ran that as well. If so, that would explain the AMG oil cooler. That cooler is just another sign that your car went a different route than the rest of ours.