CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Broken headlight so perfect time to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
Broken headlight so perfect time to upgrade.

Hello all,

A lady at an intersection smashed my headlight with her SUV so I decided to use the oppurtunity to update my lights.

As most know, you have to remove the front bumper to take the lights out, It wasnt to bad but there were a couple of bolts underneith that really pushed me to the limit. Tight fit with my hands in the spaces and honestly I had to walk away a few time and come back a few hours later to keep from loosing my cool. Easy to break things when angry or rushing.

FYI the camera doesn't capture the halos as well as the human eye does in person. Probably could with a high end camera. I can clearly see both rings in the smaller and larger lights in person but the cell camera washes out the light as a blur on the smaller lights.

Pics are only of running lights and fogs, forgot to take a pic with the headlights fully on. Love the look and I'm happy with the results. Everything done in my driveway.

Thanks for visiting.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 01-02-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 Coupe
Awesome job bro,those look sweet. So be honest how hard/frustrating was this because I was thinking of doing this as well. What other mods do you have?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2008 G55 AMG
Be careful adjusting the beam. I have these projector headlights and after adjusting the beam of light, because the light beam was much to high. The actual projector in the housing came loose and now shakes over some bumps on the freeway. Super annoying. I guess what do you expect for $250 projector lights from ebay. They still look great. But rough roads cause the beam to shake at night and it bugs the **** out of me.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM

SL 400
Originally Posted by HWYSTAR
Awesome job bro,those look sweet. So be honest how hard/frustrating was this because I was thinking of doing this as well. What other mods do you have?

Thanks, I appreciate it. As for how hard/frustrating was the install? I guess I would say from 1 to 10 with 10 being super hard these would be a 5 for me. Others may think they are very easy but I'm not a mechanic and can only do basic things myself. I mostly learn from trial and error as well as with online instructions.

Videos online showed me how to do the wires and I learned on this and another site how to take off the bumper. Getting over the mental block that comes with doing something new was probably harder than the actual work. Didnt have anyone to help me but it would be easier with two people to help with getting the bumper back on. If I can do this I'm sure you can.

I dont have many mods because I only do them here and there after saving extra money. I have a long list of things I will do but I'm not rich and have to save for what I want lol. I also am working on mechanical things I need and that stuff adds up.

So far just swaped out my bulbs to the hyper white tag and interior bulbs, did my interior in suede and starting swaping out my broken dark wood trim for brown trim. The brown wood and my black interior matches our ML350 and I like that look better than the darker color wood the coupe came with. (I forget the name) I also got a newer/ cleaner pair of AMGs for the rear (mine were very bad) I still have to swap out the fronts when I save a little more to biy them. Technically my rear AMGs are different than my fronts but a non mercedes person doesnt notice.

Originally Posted by OGCLK320
Be careful adjusting the beam. I have these projector headlights and after adjusting the beam of light, because the light beam was much to high. The actual projector in the housing came loose and now shakes over some bumps on the freeway. Super annoying. I guess what do you expect for $250 projector lights from ebay. They still look great. But rough roads cause the beam to shake at night and it bugs the **** out of me.
Oh that sucks, thankfully I don't have to adjust my beam. I thought I would have to but when I pulled up to a wall to check them they were dead on. Me and a family member also went to a church lot so we could see/test where the beam hit our other cars and the road. Both were exactly where I wanted them to be. No adjustment or shaking so I'm happy.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 01-03-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 Coupe
As far as the wheels yes they should be different for front and back the front are 17X7.5 and the back are 17X8.5 I think and I may be wrong on the exact widths but the back is wider than the front hence the staggered appearance. As far as wheels I will stick with mine for now and just wrap them in some new rubber and save up for some 18s. Would prefer some gold tone mesh like BBS but not sure if I can see spending the kinda green when there are other wheels out there that look the same and cost less.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM

SL 400
Originally Posted by HWYSTAR
As far as the wheels yes they should be different for front and back the front are 17X7.5 and the back are 17X8.5 I think and I may be wrong on the exact widths but the back is wider than the front hence the staggered appearance. As far as wheels I will stick with mine for now and just wrap them in some new rubber and save up for some 18s. Would prefer some gold tone mesh like BBS but not sure if I can see spending the kinda green when there are other wheels out there that look the same and cost less.

No I understand the difference in sizes from front to back, what I was saying is my wheels are litterily different. My rear AMG 5 spoke wheels are newer and slightly different than my older stock AMG 5 spoke front.

If I had to guess my rear wheels are 1 to 3 years newer than what came on my car. My rears were beat up so I sold them and got what I have now Im going to sell my fronts and get ones that match the rear soon.

Going down the road or from a distance no one can tell they are not the exact AMGs but parked I can tell the difference. My wife didn't notice the difference in the two sets until I pointed it out to her.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 CLK 230K
Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
Going down the road or from a distance no one can tell they are not the exact AMGs but parked I can tell the difference. My wife didn't notice the difference in the two sets until I pointed it out to her.
Good day my friend and congratulations on the headlight upgrade...They look really nice and i have been contemplating a set myself but i have a question. Are your headlamps LED Halo's or CCFL Halo's? and Second, Why are your inner halo's yellow and the outer halo's white?...oh and 1 last question? how are you able to post pictures within the thread without using the attachment? Thanks for your understanding
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 AM

SL 400
Thanks!
Question 1: Are your headlamps LED Halo's or CCFL Halo's?
Answer: LED Halos

Question 2: Why are your inner halo's yellow and the outer halo's white?.
Answer: That's the way my former OEM lights were from the factory and I assume this halo light maker wanted to use the same color scheme. Some update the inner lights so that they are white as well, I did it on my now broken OEM lights but I decided afterwards that I liked the color contrast better when mixed.

Final question: how are you able to post pictures within the thread without using the attachment?
Answer: Hosting the picture on a photo server.

Originally Posted by ChenZheng
Good day my friend and congratulations on the headlight upgrade...They look really nice and i have been contemplating a set myself but i have a question. Are your headlamps LED Halo's or CCFL Halo's? and Second, Why are your inner halo's yellow and the outer halo's white?...oh and 1 last question? how are you able to post pictures within the thread without using the attachment? Thanks for your understanding

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 01-10-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 CLK 230K
Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
Thanks!
Question 1: Are your headlamps LED Halo's or CCFL Halo's?
Answer: LED Halos

Question 2: Why are your inner halo's yellow and the outer halo's white?.
Answer: That's the way my former OEM lights were from the factory and I assume this halo light maker wanted to use the same color scheme. Some update the inner lights so that they are white as well, I did it on my now broken OEM lights but I decided afterwards that I liked the color contrast better when mixed.

Final question: how are you able to post pictures within the thread without using the attachment?
Answer: Hosting the picture on a photo server.
Thanks my friend. I asked about pictures because i have recently sprayed my interior with duplicolor red paint and the results are amazing. So good that i'd like to share with other members on this wonderful and helpful site.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM

SL 400
Anytime!

Originally Posted by ChenZheng
Thanks my friend. I asked about pictures because i have recently sprayed my interior with duplicolor red paint and the results are amazing. So good that i'd like to share with other members on this wonderful and helpful site.