CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK320 Noise from front end

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK320 W208
CLK320 Noise from front end

Hi Guys I've just registered and this is my first ever post and I have to say the guys who post answers have helped me out heaps in the past and saved me thousands of dollars, so thank you.

My question is: There's a noise from my front end that comes and goes, driving in a straight line it squeals for a bit then stops, if I press the brakes it goes away or when I turn the steering wheel a little it goes away for a short period.

At times it sounds like a bird chirping then turns into a long squeal. There is also another popping sound when I turn left or right up a driveway it will come from the side that is compressed, I'm thinking it's due to the same issue, could anyone please help me out, what could it be?

I've searched a few similar posts and tried to fix it but it still seems to be there. I changed the ball joints and all the parts that are visible to me are rather new and don't look like they need replacing.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 PM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Chirping/squeal: something is up with your belt drive system. Check the serpentine belt, all the pulleys (especially the idler pulley) and belt tensioner.

Popping: check upper ball joints, upper/lower control arm bushings and tie rods (inner and outer).
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 CLK 430 w/5.4 swap, 2000 CLK430
Not sure on the squeaking.

As for the popping, you might check your springs. I just replaced mine yesterday and found out that one had a broken coil at the bottom. Not sure how so many of my Mercedes mechanics have over looked that. I am assuming that this is what was causing my popping noise when going over humps in driveways. Can't say for sure since the car has been garaged since the replacement though.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 AM

Mercedes CLK320 W208
Thanks for the reply guys, I should have been a little more specific where the noise was coming from, It's sounds like it's coming from the front right wheel area. It's sounds like noisy brakes but the brakes and discs are new and doesn't happen when I apply the brakes at all.

It's like something that holds the wheels straight has become loose and the only other thing that makes noise is the popping from underneath the car when I pull up a driveway. I just can't find what that part is as it's not visible to me or I'm completely missing the obvious.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Check to see if something is rubbing against the brake dust shield. Also take a look and see if you lost an anti rattle spring off a caliper.

Pads and wheel bearings all good?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
+1 on checking for play in the wheel bearings
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 AM

Mercedes CLK320 W208
Thanks for the suggestions guys, The brake pads and discs I replaced less than 6 months ago I'll give the wheel bearings a look this weekend (repack them with bearing grease and see if there is any freeplay). I'll post the results. If there is no improvement I'll take it to the local suspension store and post the findings.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 AM

Mercedes CLK320 W208
I got the car back from inspection and the Lower Control Arm Bushes are the problem and I was told by them the occasional squeaking sound is the front disc brakes touching the brake pads which shouldn't be happening but fixing the control arms should correct it.

Thanks to everyone.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
you said "squeaking sound is the front disc brakes touching the brake pads" That makes no sense. did you mean the rotor touching the pad? if it were anything it would be the screech pads on the back of the pad. There is a think metal plate between the back of the pad and the brake caliper piston. between the plate and the back of the pad there is a compound that keeps that plate from vibrating or squeaking when the brakes are applied lightly. if the brakes are old or got really hot at one time that compound will dry out and the plate will squeak. Also, check your steering damper.

Last edited by dlbehrns; 01-31-2013 at 12:04 AM.