CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

new 2000 clk430 vert owner needs help fixing issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430 convertible
Exclamation new 2000 clk430 vert owner needs help fixing issues

hello my name is brian I work for vanos motorsport in Carlstadt nj. All we work on are bmws. e30 to e92. so I decided to mix it up and buy a benz w208. Its a 2000 clk430 vert 136k miles. The top doesn't come down but i hear the motor going and the windows go down but nothing happens. ideas how to diagnose the problem? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The trunk doesn't open also i do hear the motor going but nothing happens i don't want to destroy the trunk. my drivers seat also doesn't move in the back and forth. I think there may have been minor flooding. The bottom part of heated seat doesn't work but back does. I found a good pair of seats but they have been flooded but works in all ways. i fear that if i put those seats the motors will smoke and catch fire.

any help will be greatly appreciated, i will post pix tomorrow please help i will post pix of progress..
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
With water involved I'd start with fuses. You need to get in the trunk and check the fuse panel. If neither the buttons work to open it, you'll need to work at it with the key. Do the rear headrests move with the dash switch?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 AM

clk430 convertible
they make a sound but dont move..i been twisting and pushing in the key for hours any ideas?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The roof mechanism is quite complex (e.g. hydraulic pump, 7 hydraulic cylinders, controller, relays, numerous inter-lock switches etc.) and prone to developing problems.

Additionally, opening the trunk with the mechanical key has been problematic as well.

As a result, much has been written within this forum on diagnoses and repair.

Using the 'search' function will find everything you need to move forward.

Hint: In one search, use the key word 'tophydraulics' or 'top hydraulics' on the roof issue. This will lead you to a web site with a very complete article and source of repair parts for your W208 roof system.

Last edited by Serndipity; 01-25-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

clk430 convertible
i searched and i feel like i must open the trunk and check the fluid for the top before anything.i have tried moving the key and pushing it in..thats how everybody says they opened it by doing this for hours i dont have the patience to move the key around for hours just hoping it might open..i need results
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by amgmooch
they make a sound but dont move..i been twisting and pushing in the key for hours any ideas?
In your situation, getting into the trunk with the key is going to be your easiest option. Make sure you are using a penetrating oil in the lock. Its a pain but getting in through the back seat is way worse!

So the headrests are making noise but not moving? Are they in up or down position?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
i searched and i feel like i must open the trunk and check the fluid for the top before anything.i have tried moving the key and pushing it in..thats how everybody says they opened it by doing this for hours i dont have the patience to move the key around for hours just hoping it might open..i need results
I only used the mechanical key once, when my battery died and the cabin's truck release switch would not work.

FWIW, ran into the same issues other forum members did. FWIW, turned out my fingers were not able to turn the key enough, but when I used pliers to turn the key head, the truck lock released (proceed at own risk of breaking the key).

In hindsight, I should have just attached a source of 12v power to the post in the engine compartment and used the cabin's electrical switch).

Although it is not obvious, there is a simple way to observe your convertible top hydraulic fluid level, directly from the trunk. There is actually a “portal” that you can look through with a flashlight......there is even the beginnings of the cut in the carpet similar to the carpet, opening for the hydraulic pump relief screw (that you use to raise the top manually), it's just to the left, but for some reason the factory only cut 2 of the 3 sides needed. Cut the bottom with a razor blade, and you are in business.

PS: Formally drove BMWs, which admittedly are more fun to drive, but only the CLK cabrio will turn heads.

Last edited by Serndipity; 01-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 AM

clk430 convertible
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
In your situation, getting into the trunk with the key is going to be your easiest option. Make sure you are using a penetrating oil in the lock. Its a pain but getting in through the back seat is way worse!

So the headrests are making noise but not moving? Are they in up or down position?
the headrests are stuck in the up position and yes I hear the motor going
Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 AM

clk430 convertible
Originally Posted by Serndipity
I only used the mechanical key once, when my battery died and the cabin's truck release switch would not work.

FWIW, ran into the same issues other forum members did. FWIW, turned out my fingers were not able to turn the key enough, but when I used pliers to turn the key head, the truck lock released (proceed at own risk of breaking the key).

In hindsight, I should have just attached a source of 12v power to the post in the engine compartment and used the cabin's electrical switch).

Although it is not obvious, there is a simple way to observe your convertible top hydraulic fluid level, directly from the trunk. There is actually a “portal” that you can look through with a flashlight......there is even the beginnings of the cut in the carpet similar to the carpet, opening for the hydraulic pump relief screw (that you use to raise the top manually), it's just to the left, but for some reason the factory only cut 2 of the 3 sides needed. Cut the bottom with a razor blade, and you are in business.

PS: Formally drove BMWs, which admittedly are more fun to drive, but only the CLK cabrio will turn heads.
many people say that bmws are more fun to drive I do agree to a certain extent..cause what bimmer can you compare to a v8 4,3L in a coupe/vert? so yeah it matters what you compare. I owned a 323i e46 and 330i e46 and completely sold on bmw but once I started training and working on only bmws and driving only bmw I wanted to be different. I LOVE THE W208 430. It was snowing the other day and I had my v8 spinning figure 8s esp off. handling is very nice. bimmers are more stiff but very firm.

do I turn the keys left or right on the trunk? I found a used 02 clk430 trunk will it fit?? if worst comes to worst ill buy the trunk and just break my old one off..

also I have experience working with a flooded 04 330xi and the seats stop working so we removed them and cleaned and dried all the sockets with corrosion prevention fluid. then we reinstalled seats and it worked till it started smoking bad motors were smoking..im about to get good condition seats from a flooded clk430 but need to know if it might smoke any experiances?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
the headrests are stuck in the up position and yes I hear the motor going
Well with the headrests raised, you can forget using the automated system. To lower them you will need to hold the switch up for several seconds till you hear a loud click. Then you will be able to lower with the switch. Im concerened with the "minor flooding". I would expect blown fuses and fried relays.

IIRC you turn the key counter clockwise. If your giving up on the key, "breaking in" would be my last option as I just see a whole new set of problems with that. Ive used the trunk release inside the trunk before but I hear some years didnt have that option.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 AM

clk430 convertible
I got bigger problems I have a cylinder 3 and 5 misfire. The engine is jumping bad and the brakes is locked up. The brake is stiff and wont stop right away. Please help
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 AM

2001 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 Coupe
One key phrase works well here "Hello,Allstate,someone just stole my car. The cops found it parked at the beach,in the water." Problem solved,use insurance money to buy better/lower miles W208. Sounds like you got a flood damage vehicle from what I have read. Once this happens these cars are never the same. IMHO ditch it,before you sink a bunch of moolah into it.