CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

R1 Concepts? Brake Kits? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 Coupe
Question R1 Concepts? Brake Kits? Opinions?

Iam about to upgrade my rotors, and have been in contact with Kevin from R1 Concepts and am thinking of getting one of their brake kits. Has anyone gotten one of these or know anyone who has? The kits are in the price range that I am looking for. Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
IMHO: cross drilled and or slotted rotors are not worth the extra $ unless you are going to track your car and have concerns about heat build up due to heavy breaking. The holes are "supposed" to dissipate heat and the slots are "supposed" to remove any glazing that may build up on the pads from over heating. I installed cross drilled Brembo rotors and the only diff I noticed was they made a noticable noise under heavy breaking. The did not improve the car's breaking ability one iota. Along with Porterfield R4S pads, which all but eliminate brake dust, brake feel decreased. That may be due to the fact that there is less brake rotor surface for the pads to contact. The street/track pads work better if they get heated up otherwise for daily driving I would not recommend them. If you are going for a cool look then by all means, go for it if you have the extra $ to spend. I really think that racing applications are marketed as a gimmick to the general public so you/we will think that once the product is installed your car/you can go faster, stop quicker and leap tall buildings in a single bound. I fell for it. Duh! On the other hand, have your old rotors measured. Perhaps they can be resurfaced and they will take you down the road for a lot more miles for a lot less money than what you are looking at now. You know what they say about opinions?. They are like a$$holes. Everyone has one and they all stink. LOL!

Last edited by dlbehrns; 02-16-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I like the way cross drilled brakes "look", but what DL said
Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Custom CLK / 05 E500 4matic / 04 Acura TL <<Daily
To each their own, if you in a budget don't get expensive brakes or rotors!