CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clk 320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk cabriolet
clk 320

Hi I have a mercedes clk 320 cabriolet w208 (2000 reg) the battery died and has now been replaced but now the windows wont work in automatic mode which isnt my main worry at the moment but since the battery died the roof wont go down I release the roof pull back the switch and it just flashes it was all working before the battery died I changed the battery the other day and went to open the roof and the roof lifted but the under compartment wouldnt rise so shut roof up completely and now nothing seems to happen please help

Cheers

Graeme
Attached Thumbnails clk 320-375889_10151027359255684_560916858_n.jpeg  
Old 02-23-2013, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The roof operation is fairly complicated, consisting of a lot of electricals (e.g. controller, hydraulic pump motor, relays, fuses, position switches), 7 hydraulic cylinders and related systems operating properly (e.g. windows lowering, rear head rest roll bar).

There is a ton of information within this forum regarding the diagnosis and repair each of the above.

Have never heard of a dead battery replacement causing a roof mechanism failure.

However, windows must fully lower for the roof mechanism to work.

Was the required window reset done after the battery replacement?

After replacing a battery, there are 3 required resets (e.g. radio code, turning the steering wheel lock to lock in both directions, fully lowering and raising the windows while holding a short time in each position).

If the window controller was reset now working properly, check for an electrical issue that is keeping the hydraulic pump from working (e.g. relay, fuse).
Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 PM

clk cabriolet
Hi thanks for the reply the windows have been reset and the steering also thr rear roll bar goes up and down but roof still won't work you can hear the motor weering but it just won't release. Spoke to mercedes and they are saying that it needs to be reprogrammed at £175 (about 5mins work) I believe there is a simpler option as I cant be the only person this has happened to! Any more help would be very much welcomed
Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The STAR diagnostic / programming software would be needed to do this.

While I understand that it can provide some limited roof diagnostic information, not really sure if reprogramming this system is required and/or valid.

If it is, many independent mechanics have the STAR software and typically would charge less.

While the following would not have anything to do with the battery replacement, from your last note and the age of the car, you could have a leaking hydraulic cylinder.

If this is the case, you can check the pump's hydraulic fluid level, which is easy to do through an inspection port in the trunk (see page 4 at the following link).

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/W208...eplacement.pdf
Old 02-23-2013, 01:30 PM

clk cabriolet
Hi mate thanks for your reply I dont think it would be a leaky pump as the roof was working fine as I raised evertime to wash snd never give me a problem until I changed battery so I will try getting it reset thanks for your help
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 AM

clk cabriolet
Hi mate read your reply over and over again last night so are all these latches and locks controlled by hydraulics? And is it just a normal code read that gives you all your fault codes or is it another plug in point a the back for the roof cheers
Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 AM

clk cabriolet
Hi I checked the hydraulic fluid and there are no leaks the pump is full I found there is a plastic clip that is broken on the nearside in the hinged corner of the roof could this be my problem!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by graeme6209
Hi mate read your reply over and over again last night so are all these latches and locks controlled by hydraulics? And is it just a normal code read that gives you all your fault codes or is it another plug in point a the back for the roof cheers
Yes, the rear bow lock and case cover lock are actuated via hydraulic cylinders (see page 5). Apparently, they are also the most common ones that leak as well. However, I since read where you checked the fluid level, so problem is most likely electrical.

Another common issue has been a relay. Fortunately, the same relay is used elsewhere (believe it's the fuel pump relay) which can be swapped to check (you'll find more information on this via searching the forum).

Another easy check would be the luggage cover. The roof can will not operate if it's not in place correctly (e.g. up). Make sure the position inter-lock switches are being actuated (weren't knocked askew while the battery was changed). The rollers must located within their tracks correctly, in order to close the switches properly.

Also read this post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...m-fix-fyi.html

Lastly, North American cars have 2 ports for reading codes. The OBCII port is under the drivers side dash and only deals with emissions. The STAR port in located in the rear of engine compartment (passenger side) and has many more capabilities (e.g. for diagnostics, resets).
Old 02-25-2013, 06:01 AM

clk cabriolet
Hi thanks for the reply I had the canopy moving yesterday I found something that looks like a limit switch that was broken so I pushed back together and the canopy then started working and what I read on here the other day is that this seems to be a common problem cheers graeme
Attached Thumbnails clk 320-image.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
From the photo, I could not identify the switch you're referring to.

The document below will show you more more information regarding the roof's switches, functions and locations.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W208_switch_locations.pdf (1.10 MB, 2056 views)

Last edited by Serndipity; 02-25-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 PM

clk cabriolet
hi there the roof is being sorted on saturday they are replacing this relay switch so thats all good!

but there seems to be a gear box issue the car is thumping when put into drive and also the trip tronic isnt working is this a case of getting the oil changed and reprogrammed

cheers graeme

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 10-23-2019, 01:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 430 W208 MY2000
Does S84/5 (soft compartment cover open switch) exist on a MY2000 W208 CLK430?, If it does, where is it? The WIS picture is zoomed in too far to really see where that switch might be.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by CLKGeek
Does S84/5 (soft compartment cover open switch) exist on a MY2000 W208 CLK430?, If it does, where is it? The WIS picture is zoomed in too far to really see where that switch might be.
All CLK A208s cabriolets, produced between 1998 and 2003, use the S84/5 compartment cover open switch.

A picture and location of the switch is shown on page 7 in the WIS document in post #10 above.

You'll have to remove some of the compartment cover carpeting in that area to see it.

If your having an issue with the operation of your roof and suspect that the switch is not working properly, I can tell you how to verify that it's functioning properly.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:45 PM

CLK 430 W208 MY2000
Question

Originally Posted by Serndipity
All CLK A208s cabriolets, produced between 1998 and 2003, use the S84/5 compartment cover open switch. A picture and location of the switch is shown on page 7 in the WIS document in post #10 above. You'll have to remove some of the compartment cover carpeting in that area to see it.
Is in in the compartment that the top folds down in to or in the trunk? I have almost all of the carpet removed in that area. Maybe I am looking at it but not seeing it. The WIS picture is zoomed in too far for me too be able to see where this switch might be.
Originally Posted by Serndipity
If your having an issue with the operation of your roof and suspect that the switch is not working properly, I can tell you how to verify that it's functioning properly.
Thanks. I will be checking the electrical operation of all the switches related to the top system via the N52 connector so hopefully that will give me a better clue as to which might not be working properly.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:22 PM

CLK 430 W208 MY2000
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CLKGeek
Is in in the compartment that the top folds down in to or in the trunk? I have almost all of the carpet removed in that area. Maybe I am looking at it but not seeing it. The WIS picture is zoomed in too far for me too be able to see where this switch might be.
Responding to myself: I found it! It is inside the trunk right next to the case cover hinge on the right hand side of the car.