CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Converting to an AMG engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting to an AMG engine

Is it possible to swap an AMG engine to a CLK320? For example, an S55 AMG's engine.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:45 AM
TNH

Thats exactly what I've been wanting some information on. My 320's v6 is damaged, and I know the whereabouts of a regular 430 V8 as well as the 5.4 liter clk 55 engine.

I'm pretty sure that the s55 engine is the same as the CLK 55, but you would need a new wiring harness for it to work in the CLK. You would also need the 55 transmission and differential.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Yes, it's possible, but not cheap to do it right.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I asked this questions because if I could find an AMG engine in the junk yard and buy it for cheap, then I could use it for my car. Usually cars in the junk yard are totalled, but you can always find one w/o any engine damage and they're willing to sell any parts of the cars for cheap, sometimes people would buy a car in the junk car and fix it, it's cheaper than buying a new car, just like in The Fast and the Furious
Old 03-04-2002, 03:36 AM
TNH

Originally posted by LowRydeR
sometimes people would buy a car in the junk car and fix it, it's cheaper than buying a new car, just like in The Fast and the Furious
its funny you say that.......because I've done this with almost every car that I've owned. At 19 years old, I'm not exactly rich, so I do what I have to do in order to drive the cars that I like. My latest project is a 2000 CLK 320 that rear ended a flatbed truck. None of the engine bay (strut towers/inner fender well) was damaged.....just the bumper cover, hood, headlights, and one fender. The engine took a bad hit, but it didnt get knocked back. It needs a new cylinder head. I may just repair the engine ( I already have a new cylinder head), but I am giving alot of thought to swapping in a V8 (either from the 430 or the 55).

We'll see though, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by TNH

its funny you say that.......because I've done this with almost every car that I've owned. At 19 years old, I'm not exactly rich, so I do what I have to do in order to drive the cars that I like. My latest project is a 2000 CLK 320 that rear ended a flatbed truck. None of the engine bay (strut towers/inner fender well) was damaged.....just the bumper cover, hood, headlights, and one fender. The engine took a bad hit, but it didnt get knocked back. It needs a new cylinder head. I may just repair the engine ( I already have a new cylinder head), but I am giving alot of thought to swapping in a V8 (either from the 430 or the 55).

We'll see though, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
Nice, that's smart you do that, tell me if you swap the V8.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swapping a Mercedes engine is a very very difficult task due to the all the electronic parts. Its not as simple as dropping a B18 engine into a civic.

The man hours required and technological know-how are huge. Randall from AWE tried to swap his v8 430 to a v6 320 so he could put in the Kleemann supercharger and he was only partially successful. There were still error codes and he doubted that the car would pass emissions. This is with a full service licensed car repair shop. They stopped the project due to the huge time & money sink. You can send him an email if you have any more questions.

If you want a better engine, you are much better off selling your current car and buying one with a better engine.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:30 PM

Hi Guys

I have been there, and it's almost impossible, unless you take all
parts from the same model car, in this case a CLK 55.

First of all, the engines are the same in all 55, but most parts on the engine, like brackets, headers, ect.ect are completely different
from model to model.

Seccond, the complete drive train is needed.

Third, all wires, ECU, gear box computer, ect.ect, has to follow the engine, the are mached with the hard ware, which means when
a car is factory new, the managment systems can be swapped
from car to car, untill the car have been started 40 times, after
this no chance.

Each part is so expencive, so if just one or two things go wrong
it will cost a fortune to fix the car or even worse you spend the money on the parts, but are still not able to fix it, and then have
to go back to 320.

To put in the 55 in a 430, that a walk in the park, all parts on the
430 engine will fit the 55, even if it comes from an S class.

use the injectors from the 55, and the ECU will program it self over 2-300 miles.