CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

w208 tranny question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55,2003 CL55AMG
w208 tranny question

I drive a 2001 clk55 and absolutely love it.. I remember the days when I was in high school and a thought my friends 88 Mustang LX 5.0 was a fast car..The good old days..

Anyway, my CLK has just over 68K miles on it and runs excellent. I just dropped it off at the indy shop for a diff flush/fluid change with some fancy Liqi-Moly stuff and replaced both drive-shaft couplers. It seems to shift even better which brought me to my next thought. The transmission fluid has never been changed and was told my Indy guy that the fluid is a lifetime thing, which i really find a little hard to believe but Ive heard that from several people as well the "if it aint broke dont fix it" people as well. I was just hoping from a little input from the more seasoned DIY'rs .. Thanks and look forward to any responses
Old 09-28-2013, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by CLK55_NYC
I drive a 2001 clk55 and absolutely love it.. I remember the days when I was in high school and a thought my friends 88 Mustang LX 5.0 was a fast car..The good old days..

Anyway, my CLK has just over 68K miles on it and runs excellent. I just dropped it off at the indy shop for a diff flush/fluid change with some fancy Liqi-Moly stuff and replaced both drive-shaft couplers. It seems to shift even better which brought me to my next thought. The transmission fluid has never been changed and was told my Indy guy that the fluid is a lifetime thing, which i really find a little hard to believe but Ive heard that from several people as well the "if it aint broke dont fix it" people as well. I was just hoping from a little input from the more seasoned DIY'rs .. Thanks and look forward to any responses
Dont listen to anyone who tells you its a lifetime fluid. I change my transmission fluid and filter every 5k miles. Its the original tranny at 140k and never has had to be rebuilt and handles all the torque that my 5.4l motor can deliver. Change the tranny fluid.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:48 AM

clk320 and sl320 V6
Every 5000 miles is rather excessive but the norm is to do a full transmission oil and filter change every 60000 miles, but if you are hammering it then 40000 miles is the way to go.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would not wait for 40k miles . At worst 5k to 8k miles its cheaper than rebuiling these trannies also especially since our torque converters dont have drain plugs. Some folks have had to replace these trannies at as low as 50k miles.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
It's Roughly $350-$500 to do the trans fluid if you're doing it correctly. Every 5K is really excessive considering FSS is usually telling most that the oil is only due every 10K... To each his own though... I'd definitely buy your car being that over-maintained.

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
I would not wait for 40k miles . At worst 5k to 8k miles its cheaper than rebuiling these trannies also especially since our torque converters dont have drain plugs. Some folks have had to replace these trannies at as low as 50k miles.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Scott Simoncic
It's Roughly $350-$500 to do the trans fluid if you're doing it correctly. Every 5K is really excessive considering FSS is usually telling most that the oil is only due every 10K... To each his own though... I'd definitely buy your car being that over-maintained.
My question to you would be where are you taking your car that it costs 350 to 500.00 to change the tranny fluid? If I dont change it myself which is very easy there are places that will change it for you for less than half of that 350.00. My tq converter has no plug so I change the 4 quarts of oil needed and put on a new filter each time.
54.00 Titan ATF 4134 4liters and filter kit 12.00 to 15.00 thats cheaper than changing the oil.If you wanna change it at 5k to 10k fine but like you said to each is own.

Remember the tq converter will still carry the old oil so its good insurance for me to change it every 5k miles or depending on your driving style or how much you are using your car. Im not gonna spend 2500.00 to 4k plus for one of these trannies not including installing it and down time when changing the tranny fluid to me is cheaper and to me just takes a little more time than changing the oil.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 09-30-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 AM

2001 CLK55,2003 CL55AMG
I thought out torque converters had a drain plug..
Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CLK55_NYC
I thought out torque converters had a drain plug..
You will have to check ,there are cars between 98 and 2k2 that dont have it. Its posted here on the forums. Unfortunately my car was one of those in that group without.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 09-30-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
"Lifetime" is a relative term.

If you treat the tranny fluid as a lifetime thing, then the lifetime of the tranny fluid will detemine the lifetime of the transmission.

My $'s on change the tranny fluid.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lowphat
"Lifetime" is a relative term.

If you treat the tranny fluid as a lifetime thing, then the lifetime of the tranny fluid will detemine the lifetime of the transmission.

My $'s on change the tranny fluid.
+111111
Old 10-03-2013, 08:08 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Quality over quantity. I'd rather completely drain my trans, not just a pan drop, replace it with MERCEDES fluid, while replacing the electrical connector as good measure, every 40K and pay the proper amount for a reputable shop to do it correctly. I treated my SC400 the same, and it shifted like new at 145K. Do what you want with your car, and your money. I'd rather be assured that I'm using parts and fluids specifically manufactured for my specific vehicle, by the people who know it best.

My question to you would be where are you taking your car that it costs 350 to 500.00 to change the tranny fluid? If I dont change it myself which is very easy there are places that will change it for you for less than half of that 350.00. My tq converter has no plug so I change the 4 quarts of oil needed and put on a new filter each time.
54.00 Titan ATF 4134 4liters and filter kit 12.00 to 15.00 thats cheaper than changing the oil.If you wanna change it at 5k to 10k fine but like you said to each is own.

Remember the tq converter will still carry the old oil so its good insurance for me to change it every 5k miles or depending on your driving style or how much you are using your car. Im not gonna spend 2500.00 to 4k plus for one of these trannies not including installing it and down time when changing the tranny fluid to me is cheaper and to me just takes a little more time than changing the oil.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:33 AM

clk320 and sl320 V6
So easy to change all fluid if no torque convertor oil plug:

Drain pan and remove (about 3.5 litres drains, measure the amount) - install new filter and gasket.

Fill up with 4 litres.

Disconnect right hand flexible oil pipe just before it goes to the radiator and let it hang down into a 5 or 10 litre plastic bucket which has been marked to 4 litres. (it pumps in direction from transmission to radiator)

Start engine and let transmission pump out 4 litres of dirty old oil (you will see it start to turn a nice red colour).

Now fill up with 3.5 litres, warm oil up to 80 Deg C and do the normal level test with engine running.

Use Mercedes ATF
Old 10-05-2013, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quality over quantity. I'd rather completely drain my trans, not just a pan drop, replace it with MERCEDES fluid, while replacing the electrical connector as good measure, every 40K and pay the proper amount for a reputable shop to do it correctly. I treated my SC400 the same, and it shifted like new at 145K. Do what you want with your car, and your money. I'd rather be assured that I'm using parts and fluids specifically manufactured for my specific vehicle, by the people who know it best.
You dont seem to know much about MB the fluids nor my car in particular so I wont get into with you. For my year vehicle all they did was a pan drop. The best thing to do is replace the fluid often because mb will only do a pan drop on my particular car. This was an issue on several mb's here in the states. Most shops wont do a tranny flush on my car either,they say take it to MB!

. PS I have MB fluid from the dealer in my car fyi. Titan is used widely also in MB's fyi. Do some research. Like I said original tranny 140k miles.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:49 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
You seem to have a superiority complex, as do most on forums. There are members here that touch well over 140K without ever doing a trans fluid service. I'm very aware that, in some people's opinions there are equal fluids to the MB fluid. The shop I go to doesn't do a simple pan drop, it's a shop that specializes in MB only, they aren't cheap, but they do things correctly. I was simply stating that changing trans fluid excessively isn't necessarily going to help a part that was simply manufactured on the edge of tolerance from failing pre-maturely. However, it's painfully obvious that, you seem extremely opinionated on this topic, which doesn't necessarily make you correct, it rather makes you belittle my opinion since it doesn't align with yours. I said it earlier, and I'll say it again, it's your car, it's your time, it's your money, do what you please with it, but to say that my method of maintenance widely accepted as the recommended procedure, not only by other owners, but by Mercedes TSB's and the fact that my 722.6 shifts perfectly and show no signs of fatigue or failure, is wrong or somehow ridiculous is obviously somehow fulfilling to you, so, have at it.

You dont seem to know much about MB the fluids nor my car in particular so I wont get into with you. For my year vehicle all they did was a pan drop. The best thing to do is replace the fluid often because mb will only do a pan drop on my particular car. This was an issue on several mb's here in the states. Most shops wont do a tranny flush on my car either,they say take it to MB!

. PS I have MB fluid from the dealer in my car fyi. Titan is used widely also in MB's fyi. Do some research. Like I said original tranny 140k miles.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You seem to have a superiority complex, as do most on forums. There are members here that touch well over 140K without ever doing a trans fluid service. I'm very aware that, in some people's opinions there are equal fluids to the MB fluid. The shop I go to doesn't do a simple pan drop, it's a shop that specializes in MB only, they aren't cheap, but they do things correctly. I was simply stating that changing trans fluid excessively isn't necessarily going to help a part that was simply manufactured on the edge of tolerance from failing pre-maturely. However, it's painfully obvious that, you seem extremely opinionated on this topic, which doesn't necessarily make you correct, it rather makes you belittle my opinion since it doesn't align with yours. I said it earlier, and I'll say it again, it's your car, it's your time, it's your money, do what you please with it, but to say that my method of maintenance widely accepted as the recommended procedure, not only by other owners, but by Mercedes TSB's and the fact that my 722.6 shifts perfectly and show no signs of fatigue or failure, is wrong or somehow ridiculous is obviously somehow fulfilling to you, so, have at it.
Sir screw the tsb! It is also said that the tranny fluid is lifetime and you dont have to change it., If you goto the C43 section put transmission in the search and you'll Read FACTS!!!!! You are taking me completely wrong if YOU feel I'm being opinionated or perhaps YOU have an inferiority complex which I doubt is the case! It was recommended to me by an MB head mechanic,and quite a few authorities with experience on this forum to change the fluid as often as I chose because of the many known and posted issues concerning this transmission. I just happen to be one of the very few that I know of who has not had to have their C43 transmission rebuilt. It appears that the folks who recommended frequent transmission fluid changes has apparently worked for me who knows. But im staying on the side of caution.You do what you want with your car change it how infrequently as you want. But for me and quite a few others who have changed it often only because there is no apparent way to drain the torque converter since it has no plug, I will continue to advise folks on the merits of changing the fluid often. Believe me I have nothing to gain here if you feel that is the case your entitled to your opinion. Like you say " Do as you will its your car"!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...build-90k.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...ble-cause.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...y-failure.html

In this small poll half have had no problems half had problems to total trnnay failure

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...n-problem.html

I can go on and on but I won't.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 10-05-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:27 AM

1998 CLK 320
Transmission Fluid Change

Almost time for the third drain and fill since we owned the 320.Used the last of my MB 001 989 21 03 10 fluid,will use Fuchs 3353 in the future.(Found great price!)Drained pan,drained converter,replaced filter,refill.Make sure car is level,bring fluid up to proper temp,check level with dipstick tool.Benie-Benz (Named by my daughters friends) has 177,000 miles on him now.Might take a few touring laps at the Savannah Speed Classic!

Last edited by jimpott; 10-05-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
The TSB's I'm referring to are the revised TSB's that don't refer to the transmission fluid as lifetime or sealed. The links you provide are specific to C36 and C43 AMG's... This is a W208 Forum, yes, they are all 722.6's, but there are revisions over time. I did plenty of research, including talking to a Mercedes Mechanic friend of mine before buying my car, and there are no particular concerns to the transmission in the W208's unless the fluid hasn't been changed beyond 80K. The other "issues" deal with liquid ingress to the TCU, and the harness connector and gaskets. I understand that the torque converter lacks a drain plug, which is why I have the shop I go to evacuate the fluid, and not just do a pan drop. If you can find some topics relaying information that changing fluid that often in a W208 AMG, or non-AMG 722.6 equipped vehicle that I'm missing, please, post them, as that is the section we are in.

Sir screw the tsb! It is also said that the tranny fluid is lifetime and you dont have to change it., If you goto the C43 section put transmission in the search and you'll Read FACTS!!!!! You are taking me completely wrong if YOU feel I'm being opinionated or perhaps YOU have an inferiority complex which I doubt is the case! It was recommended to me by an MB head mechanic,and quite a few authorities with experience on this forum to change the fluid as often as I chose because of the many known and posted issues concerning this transmission. I just happen to be one of the very few that I know of who has not had to have their C43 transmission rebuilt. It appears that the folks who recommended frequent transmission fluid changes has apparently worked for me who knows. But im staying on the side of caution.You do what you want with your car change it how infrequently as you want. But for me and quite a few others who have changed it often only because there is no apparent way to drain the torque converter since it has no plug, I will continue to advise folks on the merits of changing the fluid often. Believe me I have nothing to gain here if you feel that is the case your entitled to your opinion. Like you say " Do as you will its your car"!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...build-90k.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...ble-cause.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...y-failure.html

In this small poll half have had no problems half had problems to total trnnay failure

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...n-problem.html

I can go on and on but I won't.