CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Climate Control replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320
Climate Control replacement

I have a 2002 clk 320 with the climate control button issue. There is an ebay repair facility that can repair the unit. If I remove the climate control unit to send it in, the radiator fan runs constantly. I drive the car very little, will it hurt the car to have the fan run for a week while I wait for the repaired part? Thank you for the help.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Don't run the car with the unit unplugged, I seem to remember hearing in other posts for other reasons how it causes other problems as well.... Why not repair the button yourself? I have a DIY somewhere.. Which button is it?

Originally Posted by joe.lavallie
I have a 2002 clk 320 with the climate control button issue. There is an ebay repair facility that can repair the unit. If I remove the climate control unit to send it in, the radiator fan runs constantly. I drive the car very little, will it hurt the car to have the fan run for a week while I wait for the repaired part? Thank you for the help.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM

clk320
I would love to try a DIY. I was able to find parts of a DYI but not enough to help me. The button is the left auto button. The right auto button works as well as all the other buttons.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:34 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Not a problem, when I bought my CLK, BOTH left and right auto buttons did nothing. I repaired them a year ago, and both have worked perfectly since then. I will find pictures and write up a DIY. Is it missing? Or just broken?

I would love to try a DIY. I was able to find parts of a DYI but not enough to help me. The button is the left auto button. The right auto button works as well as all the other buttons.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:45 PM

2002 CLK 320
I had the same problem happen to me last night on my drive home, so a DYI would be awesome and very helpful. In my case the left auto button clicker ability seems to no longer work. I'm assuming this is what has happened to others when it malfunctioned as well?
Thank you in advance, Scott, for your writeup
Old 11-21-2013, 05:43 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
No Problem... Expect it tonight when I get off of work.

Originally Posted by 92300E
I had the same problem happen to me last night on my drive home, so a DYI would be awesome and very helpful. In my case the left auto button clicker ability seems to no longer work. I'm assuming this is what has happened to others when it malfunctioned as well?
Thank you in advance, Scott, for your writeup
Old 11-22-2013, 02:15 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Here's Part of it kids....
The following users liked this post:
clchrm (07-20-2024)
Old 11-22-2013, 02:17 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Sorry for the delay Ladies and Gentlemen.... Here goes.

This is a DIY for the Automatic, Dual Zone Climate Control on the W208 Mercedes. Please remember, I assume no responsibility for any Damages, if you do not feel comfortable working with small, fragile pieces, this is not for you. Proceed with caution, at your own risk!

You will Start by removing the Auto Button(s) that are broken, to do so, you will need to get a small dental pick, or screwdriver (flathead) meant for eyeglass / small electronics repair. The button consists of 3 pieces, The black facia, the white/tan backing, and the metal swing arm that mounts it to the unit.

Grab the your dental pick, or screwdriver and work it between the black facia and the white backing, there are 4 very small tabs that hold the front on, one at each corner, use caution.

Once the front pops off, place it somewhere safe, it is fragile, you will then have this piece attached to the climate control unit:

Again, grab your dental pick, and a flashlight, and look through the slit in the button and see the metallic swing arm, grab it with your pick, and pull it towards the inside of the climate control unit until it pops out of place, you can then remove the rest of the button.

Next You will be left with the piece that looks like this, minus the red pieces:

You will need a paper clip now. Grab the paperclip and straighten it. Measure the distance in the gap and cut one piece of the paperclip exactly the same length, enough to where it's tight to wedge in there, wedge it in, and glue it with gorilla glue, this will not press the button, but it will provide support to glue the second paperclip to:

Now, cut another paperclip longer than the first, place it on top of the other, and over the gap, it should be long enough to rest on the backside of the button, run a bead of glue along the first paperclip, all the way to the back side of the button, and on the new paperclip, then put it in place:

Wait the appropriate time for the glue to completely dry. Clip the front (black) part of the button to the back (white part)

Now it's time to place the button back on the unit, you will want to swing the metal arm at an angle, so it will clip back into place:

At this point, you can work the button back into the climate control unit, it may take a few tries to get it to clip in.... Watch the video below:

Please feel free to ask questions. I hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
LateLife Crisis (10-23-2023)
Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM

clk320
Thank you so much for the help very good material.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:38 PM

clk320
okay, I did the repair. If I can do it you can do it. Works like a charm and once you see how the system fits together you can understand why it broke. If you fat finger these controls you will break them.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:59 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Was the DIY helpful or did you go another route for the repair?

okay, I did the repair. If I can do it you can do it. Works like a charm and once you see how the system fits together you can understand why it broke. If you fat finger these controls you will break them.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:24 AM

clk320
Followed your instructions. Thanks for sharing I really appreciate it.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:40 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Great! Glad I could help, and glad you're back in business!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 AM

Hi, could you email or PM me the DIY writeup you have, would be much appreciated.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Mercedes CLK430
This works also

Left button
Old 10-23-2023, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Overkillit
This works also

Left button
Source, details on how to get one?
Old 10-25-2023, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Mercedes CLK430
Originally Posted by ML Dude
Source, details on how to get one?
They were sold on Amazon for awhile but you may need to contact them as they sold out at one point and was looking to make more but
it seems they are busy making other parts.
Not sure if I can put links up so here it is
Amazon Amazon
if not just searh for it on Amazon using "

Repair kit for Mercedes CLK Climate Control AC Side auto Button