CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK430
How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?

So my temperature and clock light (the light that shows what gear im in) are like dimmed to being burnt out. How do I go about replacing it? Is it easy? What bulbs do I need? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by eatbeef40
So my temperature and clock light (the light that shows what gear im in) are like dimmed to being burnt out. How do I go about replacing it? Is it easy? What bulbs do I need? Thanks.
Just change the bulb?

First you need to remove the dash which is easy and you have two methods:

1: Using a dash removal tool, which you can make yourself from a thin piece of metal or coat hanger as the dash is just push fitted in. If you take the coat hanger and and make a very small hook on the end, then form a ring at the other so you can pull on it. The length should be about 6" with the hook being very small just bent over by a few mm. Then on the length of the metal tool you've made, hammer flat so its nice and thin.
You then insert this on the edge near the reset buttons on the left and the opposite side as there is a place behind the dash that your hook catches onto. I find by using your thumb on the steering wheel and pulling it helps one side at a time.

2: remove lower panel near pedals and reach up and push the back of dashboard out.

Once out of its housing, extend your steering wheel all the way out and the dash will come out completley the bulb you need to replace is directly behind the clock and I think is either brown or green plastic backing. The bulbs just twist out.

If you've gone to the trouble of removing the instrument cluster you could change all bulbs for blue led's !
Old 12-23-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
02' CLK 430
A1EK do you have any pics of your blue LED dash...would love to see what it looks like

KRis
Old 12-23-2013, 04:33 PM

2002 CLK430
Is there like a picture guide? I'm more of a visual learner. And what kind of bulbs are the clock and temperature light?

And are you sure changing the bulb will fix the temperature gauge? Because the temp gauge is more or so pixled out.

Last edited by eatbeef40; 12-23-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by A1EK
Just change the bulb?
I'm not sure that it is just the bulb...the temp and clock are a configuration of various pixels that make the temp etc....this might be a pixel fix rather than a bulb.

Eatbeef, can you see what the temp is and/or the gear that you are in? If they are missing parts of their numbers, it's a pixel fix. If you can, it's a bulb that gives background lighting...they would be fixed as A1EK explains.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...xel-fix-2.html

Cindy is on to something here but A1E has the tool plan I am going to try this soon.

This is a longwinded DIY but if you read along all that attended improved the repair making it simple. It may depend on how patient you are when working on electronics and instruments. The DIY thread here has a bit much misc. posts and replys to threads that belong in circulation. General cleanup but fun to read anyway.

All the best xmas, Gator
Old 12-23-2013, 11:26 PM

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by cindyclk
I'm not sure that it is just the bulb...the temp and clock are a configuration of various pixels that make the temp etc....this might be a pixel fix rather than a bulb.

Eatbeef, can you see what the temp is and/or the gear that you are in? If they are missing parts of their numbers, it's a pixel fix. If you can, it's a bulb that gives background lighting...they would be fixed as A1EK explains.
I can see the gear selection and clock, but the back lightin for both that and the temp. Gauge are burnt out. Also the temp. gauge is pixeled out somewhat. If it means replacing the cluster then I don't mind leaving it how it is. But I want to change the bulbs for them. What bulbs go into them? And how many total?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Hey Beef,

The cluster can be replaced but don't expect the car to move without programming.

The pixels can random work or no work at any time. Climate affects mine so I am going in deep as the pixel repair requires.

The day/night visual of these are by external lamps like any other car with a digital format. lights off in the day and the cluster brightens up with a lamp. Shining a flashlight into the display will provide the same diagnostics.

The flash light will show if the pixels are bad or not. I think there is a cluster relamp kit available but will have to research. Each lamp will get pricey one at a time etc...

Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 12-23-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: added content
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 PM

2002 CLK430
Okay thanks for the help, but what size bulbs am I suppose to use for these lights? And how many total? I see multiple dashboard bulbs on autohausaz but idk which one to buy..

-Jahn
Bulb; 12V/1.5W Red Glass Bulb; Brown Socket Base; For Dashboard Instruments
Please verify appearance, connection, and wattage of existing bulb prior to ordering.

-Osram Sylvania
Bulb; Dashboard/Instrument Bulb; Clear Glass with Green Socket Base; 12V-1.3W
Please verify bulb base color prior to ordering, different bases/base colors may not be interchangeable.

-Osram Sylvania
Bulb; Instrument/Dash Bulb with Beige Socket Base; 12V/1.5W (2452MFX6)
Please verify appearance, connection, and wattage of existing bulb prior to ordering.

Also, how do I extend the steering wheel? I pulled the switch to adjust the wheel but I couldn't move it anywhere..

Edit: So it turns out, the temp gauge light is fine, the pixel is just burnt out. The light for the clock and gear selection is still out though, and I just realized the spedometer is burnt out as well, same with the light for the gas. Heres a pic to explain what im saying visually:

And @Gator, the link doesnt work. Thanks though.

Last edited by eatbeef40; 12-24-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the pixles are bad you will know because regardless of blown bulbs you should still be able to see what the pixles say its just darker. Now you can fix the pixles too and there is good DIY's if you search. Basically what happens is the ribbon cable that connects to the backof the instrument gauge loses its connection over the years. The fix is simply using a bit of foam sponge to push the connector back in firmaly . IF you so do a search on pixel dashboard fix you should find it.

One piece of advise is make sure you key is not in ingnition when you remove any cable on the back of the dashboard as it can cause a fault which you will need to have cleared, so just make sure the car is off if you pull the cables.

As for the pictures you asked for making the tool I found some and hope they help, I dont have one of the tool being flattened with hammer on the long stem so you will need to do this as it makes it easier to get into the gap without damaging the dashboard.
Attached Thumbnails How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster.jpg   How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster-20-281-29.jpg   How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster-20-282-29.jpg   How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster-20-283-29.jpg   How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster-20-284-29.jpg  

How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster-20-285-29.jpg  

Last edited by A1EK; 12-24-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

continued...
Attached Thumbnails How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster-20-286-29.jpg   How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster-20-287-29.jpg   How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster-20-288-29.jpg   How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster-20-2810-29.jpg   How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-clk-20instrument-20cluster-20-2815-29.jpg  

How do I fix the temperature light and clock light?-blue-leds.jpg  

Last edited by A1EK; 12-24-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:37 PM

2002 CLK430
heres the pic:

Old 12-24-2013, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
bulb is blown, pull the cluster out and replace the bulb. I just went to the local dealer with the used bulb and said "i need one of these" and they sold it to me for about $5 ea.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:50 PM

2002 CLK430
@A1EK thank you so much for your help.

I have a question about the speedometer bulbs. Are they directly behind the dash? Or do I need to remove that back panel from the dash to access the bulbs for the speedometer?

EDIT: So I pulled the dashboard out and when I put it back in, the temp light went out and same with the mini computer screen light. smh

Heres a pic to explain what im talking about. I dont know which bulbs light up the speedometer..Is it the two yellow base one? Or is it the brown base or camo green base?

Last edited by eatbeef40; 12-26-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Looks like you have multiple blown bulbs. It's pretty clear in the pics earlier in this thread. You just pull out the gauge cluster from the dash and the bulbs look like little plastic nuts that unscrew with about 1/2 turn. They are brown, green, or beige depending on wattage or whatever. Just pick up a replacement bulb from the dealer. I could not figure out how to disconnect the cluster completely, but I don't think you want to anyway, and you can twist it around enough to do the bulbs without disconnecting.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
@OP

There are three types of bulb and they are color coded. The bulbs are 1.3 watt, 1.5 watt and 2 watt. The total number of bulbs will vary depending on the car.

After pulling the instrument cluster, you'll find two large yellow 2W bulbs. Those provide the backlighting for the speedometer and adjacent gauges. One of your 2 watt bulbs appears to be blown. The rest of the bulbs are for individual lights and the LCD displays. At least two of those other bulbs don't appear to be working.

Autohaus AZ has all the bulbs and they're all very inexpensive. For example, the two watt bulb is sixty-seven cents. The only catch is when you buy the 2 watt bulbs (yellow base), you should know that those bulbs separate from the base. Just pull the bulb out, insert the new bulb into the existing yellow base, and put that back in the instrument cluster.

The instrument cluster is a slip fit, but there are two wiring harnesses plugged into it. To disconnect each harnesses, slide the clip on the harness from the middle to the side and then pull the harness. Confused? It will make sense when you see the harness. Also, I disconnect the harness closest to the door first. Otherwise I can't get to the other one. In the picture below you can see where the harness plugs in on the upper right and left.

Repairing the pixels can be pretty inexpensive. Ribbon cables are used to connect the TFTs (thin film transistor liquid crystal displays). Those ribbons wear out/break with age. There is a guy in Europe who sells the replacement ribbon cables. His website is pixelfix.net and he only wants 19 euros for the ribbons. If you buy them, the 2000 and later W208 uses the same ribbons as the 2000 and later W210 E-Class. After the cluster has been pulled and disassembled, the temperature ribbon is an easy fix. I've found lining up the clock and transmission ribbon to be more of a challenge. If anyone has a HQ photo of either a working or unmolested clock and transmission ribbon, please post it. That may help some Lastly, if you do repair the pixels, I've found that starting with a full tank of gas makes positioning the fuel needle much easier.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:40 PM

2002 CLK430
^ thanks for the picture and info. I have a question, are those sockets on the left beige sockets or are they stickers? Because when I pulled my dashboard out, there were 3 bulbs missing and instead had a sticker such (just like the picture you posted) covering it. Are those the green base or beige base?

and what lights do the brown base control?

Last edited by eatbeef40; 12-26-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eatbeef40
^ thanks for the picture and info. I have a question, are those sockets on the left beige sockets or are they stickers? Because when I pulled my dashboard out, there were 3 bulbs missing and instead had a sticker such (just like the picture you posted) covering it. Are those the green base or beige base?

and what lights do the brown base control?
On the photo they are stickers as different cars will have differnent lights on the dash.

The photo however only shows one main bulb illuintated and all the other smaller ones are not lit up,? So check all of these and check the fuse on the drivers door that also is linked to the dashboard.

Im sure now with all the help and photos posted on this forum you can change a light bulb ! Just look for the area that is no lit up on your dash, then go to the rear of the dash and find that bulb which just twist out. Simple!

Last edited by A1EK; 01-06-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:32 PM
wbx

CLK230 Kompressor
quick question, is the temperature shown on the dash cluster the outside or inside temp?