CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W208 Audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK230 W208
W208 Audio

After working on the engine recently, now I am moving towards the interior most notably sound proofing and basic decent audio (since my speakers are busted).

Anybody did sound proofing to the door, fender and trunk? I was thinking about floor but reckon to much hassle of removing things out.Not sure if the effect will worth while.

I cant find any amp on my car and the speaker is Nokia, Head Unit is Comand 2.0 so i am torn between either get cheap amp and replace speakers with better one or just get cheap speaker run directly by the head unit.

Can I get any cheap amp to work with comand headunit? Any converter needed?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
You'll need line level converters to run an amp with the stock head unit. As for soundproofing, it always works, just depends on how much time you have and how much weight you want to add to the car. The cars come apart and go back together pretty easily.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:07 AM

CLK230 W208
Thanks Josh. I have bought sound proof material for the doors, fenders and trunk. Will report back the result.

Back to the amp question, If I opt not to install any amp, can I just replace the speakers and reconnect the wire provided the speakers/tweeters mountable on the car? Is there any special requirement to the speaker?

I understand I will have to look for speaker with suitable wattage as the head unit only seems to have paltry 4X20watt.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 Cabrio 2001
Pioneer GPS Head Unit with JBL Amp and speakers

I removed my stock am/fm/6CD changer unit and replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT. Great Unit! I left the CD changer and stock Bose.

I then had some of the speakers go on me so I took out the Bose speakers and and installed JBL's all the way around and by-passed the Bose amp and installed a JBL MS-A1004 Amp. Marked improvement over the Bose stock system.

The sub was useless once I changed everything else so that got changed as well. I installed a Kicker HideAway which is flat and only 14 inches wide. It's perfect for the CLK and takes up very little room. I am still looking for an alternative for the Sub, and would like to replace the built in sub that is behind the back seat. Does anyone know the size of the built in Sub?

Last edited by sirswift93; 05-07-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: photos
Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 AM

CLK230 W208
update:

Well, I decided to go without Amp. I installed new speaker and tweeter put on some soundproof material on window, trunk and behind instrument. I also unplug 4" speaker on rear front door. The result is much sound stage and very silent cabin too! Happy with result.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 PM

01 clk320
my stock cd disc changer is broke so i was going to install a kenwood kvt-514...

do i have to rewire whole system or can i have it just changed out??????
Old 05-20-2014, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by dollface
my stock cd disc changer is broke so i was going to install a kenwood kvt-514...

do i have to rewire whole system or can i have it just changed out??????
It won't plug into your stock harness if that's what you're asking. You would have to buy or make the appropriate adapter harness. If a car audio shop wants to just hack/splice your existing wires, walk away.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I dont believe the command will run without an amp. The command unit provides exceptional quality features like windows down over 50 mph, (sound enhances). The command unit interfaces with steering wheel controls and has a sub woofer output Command has legacy GPS and there are a few DB2 smart phone adapters that will interface.
Mine was cut away at purchase so I replaced with an Ebay used. The factory amp interfaces with command perfect and to boost sound to speakers I used a schoche crossover with 2 more amps. front/rear with adjustable input sensitivity.
I have a more refined amp coming now was considering Rockford Fosgate Punch or Alpine but settled for Kenwood.
If you are a super techie there are many cheap alternatives but be prepared to butcher the car.
I wont do it.

Gator
Old 05-20-2014, 07:04 PM

01 clk320
Originally Posted by Josh K
It won't plug into your stock harness if that's what you're asking. You would have to buy or make the appropriate adapter harness. If a car audio shop wants to just hack/splice your existing wires, walk away.

I got it off ebay so came semi used with harness...

I went to car toys )))they suck!!((( to ask about changing it out an they had told me I MUST rewire cause of the fiber optic wiring...

I feel that is bs, so that is kinda my question