CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 430 Seat Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430 Seat Questions

Hi All,
My questions revolves around the front seats. Neither of the front seat quick release latches work correctly. Nothing works on the driver side, but the passenger side has ceased as well, however the head piece does recline, but the seat does not flip forward like it should. Note- all the seat functions works, ie forward/backward, up/down, and even recline/incline from the buttons on the door for both driver and passenger seats. I know there are multiple posts regarding this, but I have a few questions:

1- My gf and I are expecting our first child. Using the buttons on the side, I move the seat all the way forward and incline it as much as possible. I am unable to fit a baby seat into the rear seats due to the space. I am considering purchasing a new car, however, with a working release latch, does the seat incline even further???? This is the big question, because if not, then I must buy a sedan. But if it does, can someone please tell me if it's enough space to fit a car seat in and out of the rear. If possible, I would love to see a picture of the difference when you manually forward and incline the seat vs using the quick release latch

2- If it's determined that w/ a working release latch that Ill have enough space, can it possibly be the motor at fault since the recline/incline functions still work? I am thinking it's an issue w/ the cables possibly where it flips the seat forward. Is it a different motor???

Thanks for all answers and advice. We are expecting within a couple months. I expect I will want a sedan anyway, but if I am not required to have to buy a car right now, that would be perfect!

Last edited by KHOLLA; 08-25-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it matters-- I googled around and found how the cable mechanism works from another forum. I was able to troubleshoot the cable and fix both sides. The good news, other than saving a few hundred having the dealership look at it, is that a car seat can definitely fit inside.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Do the next guy to come along a favor and explain what you did.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
There are child seat anchors in the back seat, so I would imagine one should fit. I do believe the seat will go farther forward than what you get with the electric motors only.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
The most favorable option of the CLK is sport and 4 up driving pleasure.

While most will claim they never use the back seat anyway, I am one.
Just applied leather conditioner back there the other day and it is not a favorable place to sit. Most magazine articles from the past are correct.

The E-class is the safest way to introduce jr. to Mercedes. I always had extra room in My W124 wagon for kids and Halloween tailgating fun.

Gator