CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Aftermarket bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 Clk430
Aftermarket bumper

Hey guys, has anyone tried the VIS Racing Euro Tech GT Body Kit? its a front bumper for the clk 430. http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...DETGT-001.html

this website has the bumper i'm talking about. I've seen one on eBay that is fiberglass.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
It looks similar to mine, but not exactly. I bought the car with the bumper already on it, but I had a small accident that I needed to fix. All I can say is that you need to be ready to do a lot of custom fiberglass work to make any "kit" bumper fit this car. I ordered a replacement, but it came as a hollow shell. The one that is on the car has a lot more fiberglass structure behind it. I'm not sure if the first one came that way, but it seems the second one would need extensive custom work to build up the same sub-structure. I rarely see any pics of these custom bumpers from the rear, I think they will all come as a hollow shell, and they are not just "bolt-on" like you would expect if you have worked with kits for Hondas and such in the past. The main bolts holding the bumper come through the metal bumper from behind in the center, and none of the structure where they attach comes with the aftermarket shells.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:54 PM

2001 Clk430
Do you remember which company you ordered from? Also when you said Allot how much did you use to use to get it right and where were the problem ares?
Old 12-15-2014, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
I ended up having the body shop just repair the old one due to the extensive amount of structure that would have to be created to do anything with the new one. I ordered from the only place that I could find that had the exact same style I have. It was an Ebay seller from Poland and they are horrible. My first order was marked as sent, but never arrived, I contested with Ebay and got a refund. I had to order again, and I finally received it a month later, poorly packaged with just bubble wrap and cardboard wrapped around it, so there were a couple of small cracks in it. I also primarily decided to buy a new replacement because the item said it came with the custom-fit fogs that I did not have, but when it arrived it did not have the fogs. The seller offered to refund like $50, but I don't care, I wanted the fogs, and they did not have them to send, and never did.

If you have never removed the front bumper, it might be worth your time to do it for exploratory purposes, so you can see how everything attaches, it's not too difficult. There are 2 nuts just in front of the radiator that are the primary mounting points, going through the main metal bumper frame. When you get the bumper off, imagine that all of the sub-structure is not there, only the front face of the bumper.

I gave that other bumper shell to member mbgator , so I don't know if he has manged to do anything with it.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:01 PM

2001 Clk430
Yea i have taken the bumper of several time to work on on placing an oil cooler and pump. i have the amg spec fog lights do you think they will work in this kit?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
I have no idea if that bumper fits factory fogs. I would bet not. I assume they either have a fog kit that goes with it, or you have to rig something. There's not a lot of info on the page. Even browsing to the official site of VIS, I don't see the pictured model on their page. I see another style that is also named "Euro Tech" but clearly different. I think your questions are best addressed to VIS directly, and if they can't or don't answer I think it would be best to stay away unless you are confident in doing some major custom fiberglass work to get it installed and looking right.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
02' CLK 430
The VIS Racing Bumper takes W204 C Class Fog Lights and Grills. I purchased yellow fogs from the W204 Forum for $100. The grills were only available at the dealer for about $60 a side. Tip: Don't buy the mounting hardware from the dealer for the grill surrounds...way too expensive. You can fin the same stuff at Home Depot for less than $5 both sides. I'm currently in the process of installing yellow 3000K HID fogs into the foglights and Yellow Laminex Tint.

I'll try an post pictures later.

KRis
Old 12-16-2014, 03:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
02' CLK 430
BTW the bumper can be purchased for cheaper here:

http://www.bodykitsdepot.com/Mercede...nt-Bumper.html

KRis