CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 430 handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Ebrigham
The campaigns were mostly centered on software/ecu updates which are responsible for the clutch action. The improvements were huge in terms of driveability and all the new models have this stuff included (and hardware changes too). Since the glitchiness I experienced was over and beyond what was considered normal, mine also had a few hardware fixes as well. Keep in mind that I have a zero tolerance with regard to my car since it is under warranty. Any glitchiness in the system was brought in for warranty service immediately. My cambiocorsa has been 100% reliable since these changes and I believe the new Masers are also just as reliable. These cars are meant to be driven and I think that the fact my car sits for weeks/months at a time might have had something to do with its earlier quirkiness.

My car only leaves the garage a dozen times a year, so I can't comment on how it is as a daily driver - but I have heard that it is indeed good as one. Good air conditioning and heating systems. Car is heavy so is good in the rain and snow (get snow tires). Actually fits 4 people. Light-colored leather seats might be hard to maintain, but overall build quality up to par for the class. I would not hesitate to have it as a daily driver.

If you buy a used one, try to get a 2003 or make sure it is 2002 with all the updates. Keep an eye on remaining warranty. If you buy new, try to get below MSRP, and don't get too ambitious about the resale value. Buying these cars is not for the faint of heart!

Hope this helps! You can go to Ferrarichat where there are more owners in the "other italians" section. Just sift through all the flamewars and you can get one or two nuggets of additional info...

If i bought an 02' and it has had no record of having any sort of software update would the dealer be willing to update the software under warrenty? or will they only be willing to if there is a problem?

I would yet baby the car alot, but still manage to use it daily. I wont have to worry about snow tires here in Florida. Only lots of rain.

I do understand what you mean, i see the resale on these i dont know why is far from good. Although it wont stop me from getting one, i just would like to know why the price drops so much on a car that is not to common.

I never even looked in the other italian section of Ferrarichat....thanks, i am normally just in the general discussion there.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Maserati Coupe
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
If i bought an 02' and it has had no record of having any sort of software update would the dealer be willing to update the software under warrenty? or will they only be willing to if there is a problem?

I do understand what you mean, i see the resale on these i dont know why is far from good. Although it wont stop me from getting one, i just would like to know why the price drops so much on a car that is not to common.
Before closing the sale, the dealer should be willing to do the upgrade proactively since it really is a pre-existing warranty/campaign item – and there is a good likelihood it was already performed. If the car hasn’t been upgraded, and the dealer wants you to wait until a glitch occurs before doing such warranty work, I would suggest going elsewhere with your money as it might be a sign of a non-agreeable dealer experience. Also, if you are looking at a spyder, get the 2003 as they were significantly stiffened versus 2002.

As far as resale is concerned, there are a lot of factors driving the less than optimal figures: 1) Maserati is really a “newborn” name in the US with the last US effort ending poorly. People are worried about long-term reliability. 2) Also, it’s not a true exotic in the Ferrari/Lambo sense. 3) Economic malaise coupled with a nice surplus of cars priced in the $80 - $100k range (Porsche, Benz, Jag, soon to be Aston Martin). 4) Sales of the coupe/spyder going OK, but not a run away success so the hype is not there. And 4) I do think the car is under-rated – perhaps the car is under-valued.

Another thing to consider is that there is good chance that the new coupe/spyder iterations will become available in 2/3 years time.

And do not baby this car! It may “only” be a Maserati, but it likes to be driven like a Ferrari. Drive it like you hate it.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Ebrigham
Before closing the sale, the dealer should be willing to do the upgrade proactively since it really is a pre-existing warranty/campaign item – and there is a good likelihood it was already performed. If the car hasn’t been upgraded, and the dealer wants you to wait until a glitch occurs before doing such warranty work, I would suggest going elsewhere with your money as it might be a sign of a non-agreeable dealer experience. Also, if you are looking at a spyder, get the 2003 as they were significantly stiffened versus 2002.

As far as resale is concerned, there are a lot of factors driving the less than optimal figures: 1) Maserati is really a “newborn” name in the US with the last US effort ending poorly. People are worried about long-term reliability. 2) Also, it’s not a true exotic in the Ferrari/Lambo sense. 3) Economic malaise coupled with a nice surplus of cars priced in the $80 - $100k range (Porsche, Benz, Jag, soon to be Aston Martin). 4) Sales of the coupe/spyder going OK, but not a run away success so the hype is not there. And 4) I do think the car is under-rated – perhaps the car is under-valued.

Another thing to consider is that there is good chance that the new coupe/spyder iterations will become available in 2/3 years time.

And do not baby this car! It may “only” be a Maserati, but it likes to be driven like a Ferrari. Drive it like you hate it.
Ok, thats good to know, i will now for sure make sure if its an 02' that the update was done or that they will do it for me. ( i hope so since i am planning on buying it from a Factory autorized dealer)

I not only feel that this car is under rated, but i think its under priced! If it was 120-150k i still think its a fair price compared to other high end cars in its class. Or where i feel that Maserati should be placed. I heard that the new spyder is stiffer then the previous one, i am actually only looking for a coupe though, i like the idea of having 4 seats, and i personally like the lines better.

I would like to wait 2/3 years, only that seems way to long for me! I will like to have this car in the next couple months.

And dont worry, in my sense of babying the car, that will be how often i wash/wax it, where i drive it, what i allow in it and who i allow in it!:p I have a habbit of driving my cars pretty hard and the Maserati felt more then up to the task comprared to what i have now.

Thanks alot for the help, hopefully your imput will guide me in the right direction to having a fun trouble free Maserati.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:53 PM

1999 CLK 430
ethornton

I have read much about MB CLK430, I'm a proud owner of a 1999 CLK 430. My Brother had an 04 M3 now an 07 335 Turbo. and My wife has a 325. All cars have there issues though all the cars mentioned are great cars and serve differnt purposes. CLK drives much nice than a M5 or M3 as far as comfort. My car will handle the curves nice enough to have some fun. I've had no problems and I now have 95,000 miles and its still as strong as it was new. German cars are great machines and you can't go wrong.
Question, I thought about putting on the new Mandrus Wheels repalcing my AMG Wheels. Any thoughts? I have a thin wallet.

Last edited by ethornton; 05-24-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Nice resurrection of an old thread, newbie. I doubt if any of the guys who posted on this 3 years ago are still around to post on this now! haha J/K.

I prefer the AMG wheels, but what size of Mandrus(?) wheels are you going with? What tires?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:36 AM

1999 CLK430 (sold) 03 CL55
Well I wasn't gonna say anything because it was old but now that you replied you brought it back after 6 days! Now whose the "Newbie" LOL jk jk

Alot has changed in 3 years, I will say this though for all to read, the guys who posted this 3 years ago apparently don't know how to drive a CLK dirty
Old 06-01-2007, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by John 99CLK430
Well I wasn't gonna say anything because it was old but now that you replied you brought it back after 6 days! Now whose the "Newbie" LOL jk jk

Alot has changed in 3 years, I will say this though for all to read, the guys who posted this 3 years ago apparently don't know how to drive a CLK dirty
You got me on that one, John, but i couldn't resist posting!

You're right, those dinosaurs 3 years ago don't know how to properly drive a CLK!

BTW, are you ever going to join us for a MBWorld Drinking Club meeting? We have 'em twice a month around Fullerton or Tustin.