CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

FYI: filing insurance claims.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI: filing insurance claims.

Hi guys I recently noticed a surge in discussion of filing for insurance claims.

I just like to share this fact with the rest of you incase you are thinking of filing for insurance claims.

In california, when a person's number of cliams on file + number of points in the dmv record > 5 then you can be denied from most of the insurance companies.

I found this out the hard way when I was shopping for my insurance. I have 2 points and 3 claims. Of the 3 claims 2 were not of my fault and no payout and the last one was a vandalism (comprehensive) claim.

I was denied for insurance from Liberty Mutual, Mercury and etc...

The insurance industry uses a record system called CLUE which stands for Claims Underwritting Exchange. The system tracks your past claims from all your insurances history.

Also be very careful when talking to an adjuster. Never admit over the phone that your car has been damaged even if you tell them you have no intention of filing for claim. Depeding on the insurance company, they can be tracking the information to determine your risk profile.

The twisted logic here is that: if a person has inqueried/filed enough claims, then his or her insurer is more likely at risk of a payout.

To those of you who like to confirm this with their insurance company please don't just call the adjusters, call the brokers as well.

There are so many rules and regulations with insurance, you can count on the fact adjusters don't have a clue about the underwritting process. All they care is to file your claims.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
I've heard that before too...

The insurance company is always out there to scam you, so fellas, be careful out there... lets not make them any richer than they already are...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:16 PM

Second richest man in the US owns a few insurance companies.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by yuanja888
Second richest man in the US owns a few insurance companies.
dang...

now i know where my $3700 annual premiums go.... sigh
Old 01-27-2004, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
all i can say is get your money's worth from your insurance co. If you don't, it's money kissed good-bye. I'm sure most of you guys here pay big bucks for insurance like I do. If you don't make any claims, you pretty much wasted that $2000-$3000 premium EVERY year. Make a claim once a year. It doesn't hurt. Especially if you have one of the big 4.... AAA, statefarm, farmers, or All-state. They WILL NOT cancel you because of a claim per year. Even if they do, you still will have nice B companies to go with like Progressive, Mercury, Geico, etc etc.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:06 AM

If you do file a claim try to file for comprehensive claims. The hit runs are counted as collision claims and those stands out likes sore thumbs.

Like i said before, the underwriters decides if your insurance will increase. But you can't never get through to one of them. And those customer service reps or adjusters that you can talk to will likely to give you incorrect answers.

It's not that they want to scam you intentionally because that would raise a wave of law suits. If they can understand the process of underwriting would they still be answering phone calls? And like wise if all of the underwriters are to answer phone calls wouldn't they be give away the company's competitive advantages?

I should have asked my adjuster to put her job on the line to gurantee my premium wouldn't increase.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:31 PM

MB
Re: FYI: filing insurance claims.

Originally posted by yuanja888

In california, when a person's number of cliams on file + number of points in the dmv record > 5 then you can be denied from most of the insurance companies.

I found this out the hard way when I was shopping for my insurance. I have 2 points and 3 claims. Of the 3 claims 2 were not of my fault and no payout and the last one was a vandalism (comprehensive) claim.
You only have 5 points, aren't you supposed to be fine?
What were the 2 claims that were not your fault? Is vandalism considered to be your fault? WHat about hit and run? DOes this system only work in CA?

Thanks,

Solihin
Old 01-28-2004, 03:45 PM

2001 CLK 430 conv. 2007 CLS 63
I have a 2001 conv. CLK, 98 Lexus SC300, 98 Mits. Diamante and a 93 Honda Accord. My girlfriend and I are 28 and 32 yrs old respectively and live in the Bay Area. We go through Mercury Ins., pay $2500/yr. and our deductible is B]ONLY $50!!![/B] I have filed 3 claims for stolen stereo in the Lexus and one for a dent on the Honda. I've never had problems w/ this company. I dont know if I'm on a "HOT" list or something but they have never hestitated to pay for anything.

p.s. no more beat in the Lexus...too much trouble and heart ache!

Last edited by 2Pac; 01-28-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:39 PM

hinhin7: yes i should have said >= 5. It's the number of claims that's important. It doesn't matter if the claims are your fault of not, paid out or not.

If my memory serves me correctly, the minor claims such as stolen radios or vandalisms are off the record after 3 years. The majors ones like total losses might stays longer. (I am not totally sure about this one)

2Pac: The insurance companies don't have a problem paying people out. Just that they don't disclose the fact that you might not be able to shop for insurance anywhere else because you filed too many claims.
Imagine if you got in a rash of bad luck (knocking on wood) and received 3 pts on your driving record and mercury decides to jack the rates 3x, at that point you are pretty much stuck with them.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:46 PM

2001 CLK 430 conv. 2007 CLS 63
Thats a good point. Hopefully this car (CLK) wont get me any tickets!!