CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A Fun Rant on the CLK...... and BMW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 04:03 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by rval_1999
Frank- I dare ask, how do you know??? BTW, I did not talk trash about the engine, just felt the BMW was more responsive, which you say is true, sorta.

What I do know and what I did say is that the BMW felt more responsive, despite it's extra 300lbs and 30 less lbs/torque, I also think the I-6 is smoother, MB told me the 3.2L is a rougher engine and I say how can a luxury car that retails for $40+k idle so rough? Like a broken motor mount, MB says A-OK?

I know the family 4-door BMW is an odd trade to the sporty CLK, but hey, I don't have a family, so why have two extra doors....(maybe for the fun of fixing 2 extra window motors that broke on the BMW often, yea fun!). I bought the CLK not realizing it was built on the C-class frame, thought it was a shortened E (those tricky headlights). Any suggestions to get improved throttle response on MB???? I know the MB is much faster 0-60, but 60-90 BMW wins IMHO.....

Fine!! I'll tell you. There's a 97 528i and a 2000 CLK320 also on the driveway of my house. It's my brother's car and my sister's car.

The comment of trash talk only when you know the fact wasn't directed to you btw. I was responding to someone saying BMW's 2.8 has 189hp in 97 which is false.

Trust me, I've timed it with my old 2000 328Ci against my sister's CLK. They are about even to that speed. The 528 however it's slower.

IMO you could've gotten a 2000 328Ci or i for a little more money instead of the 98 CLK320 for a whole lot more fun. I really felt that my old 2000 328Ci was a much better driver's car than my sister's 2000 CLK320. I used to only drive my sister's car when I feel like pimpin w/ my old high school mentality. Of course I don't think and act that way anymore.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:05 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by TNH
I think this post has gotten out of hand. There are so many cars out there, and so many different people to drive them. I love cars, just about every kind and brand. I have a CLK 430, I used to have a CLK 320. I loved the 320, and I like the 430 even better. I also have a 2002 camaro......definitely not a car that many people on this forum are probably interested in. But I like it, it's fast as hell, cheap, and is pretty durable for an american car. The interior sucks, but I don't care....I bought it to beat the hell out of and have a good time. Bottom line is, different strokes for different folks.

I'd drive a BMW, I seem to find things I like in any car I drive. I've considered selling my CLK for a number of different rides, all much different than the CLK.....Lexus LS430, Acura NSX, Toyota Supra and a few others. I think people should stop being so loyal to one type of vehicle or one brand of vehicle, it just doesn't make sense.
TOTALLY AGREE

I'd be interested in the camaro if it's those old ones...those cars were sweet.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430 conv. 2007 CLS 63
I cant believe what I just read. Why are so many people trippin' off rval_1999? Let him post his views and opions like evryone else. I'm perfectly happy w/ My 2001 CLK drop-top and thats why I bought it. I think its the best car in the world... in MY OPINION. If he thinks that MB sucks...oh well. rval_1999
has been pretty respectful (at first) and sticking only to what he wrote and not tried to make up any bulls*!t. I dont like seeing people ***** about MB cuz I have one but I'm certainly not going to whooop his *** or run him out of this forum either!

rval_1999, say what you want to say dude. If you think that MB sucks then go ahead and tell us why and dont worry about other people getting pissed off cuz its stupid. I agree w/ debating, stating facts and experiences but not to get all worked up over it and talking ****. I hope you have a better experience w/ your CLK in the future...we all (almost all) love our CLK's and are happy we got it!

Take it eazy man....
Old 02-05-2004, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AsI have said before, if you look on the top of this page you will see "MbWorld Discussions Forums: for the mercedes-benz enthusiast". Thats who these forums are for, an enthusiast isnt someone who doesnt like mercedes or is very unhappy with their car, that is a complainer. If you don't like the car that much there there are other forums strictly for mercedes bashing that are similar in format to aolsucks.com and microsoftsucks.com .Thats where you should post it because all the people who visit there are other little girls who go there to voice their dissapointment with mercedes in general.

I am sick and tired of hearing all the complaints is all, sure the clk isnt perfect, but what car is? Name one perfect car, you can't because THERE ARE NO PERFECT CARS. There is always a trade off of one feature over another, so why dont the same lames who keep posting the same cry baby nonsense just give it up.

What you guys dont realize is that half of these post are started by the *******'s from the lexus and bmw forums just to laugh at mbworlders. They visit and post here quite frequently and love to link these threads back over to their boards so they can say "see mercedes cars and owners are this, that and the other and they are using you chumps as pawns.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally posted by J Lucas
AsI have said before, if you look on the top of this page you will see "MbWorld Discussions Forums: for the mercedes-benz enthusiast". Thats who these forums are for, an enthusiast isnt someone who doesnt like mercedes or is very unhappy with their car, that is a complainer. If you don't like the car that much there there are other forums strictly for mercedes bashing that are similar in format to aolsucks.com and microsoftsucks.com .Thats where you should post it because all the people who visit there are other little girls who go there to voice their dissapointment with mercedes in general.

I am sick and tired of hearing all the complaints is all, sure the clk isnt perfect, but what car is? Name one perfect car, you can't because THERE ARE NO PERFECT CARS. There is always a trade off of one feature over another, so why dont the same lames who keep posting the same cry baby nonsense just give it up.

What you guys dont realize is that half of these post are started by the *******'s from the lexus and bmw forums just to laugh at mbworlders. They visit and post here quite frequently and love to link these threads back over to their boards so they can say "see mercedes cars and owners are this, that and the other and they are using you chumps as pawns.
Well said, J Lucas. Every car, whether Toyota, Audi, Maserati, Jaguar or Hyundai has its pluses (all-wheel drive, looks, costs, etc) and they all have their minuses as well. The real answer lies within one's self and knowing thyself. What are the features that are important to you, and you only? Looks? Price? Reliability? Luxury? Handling? etc...
One should not issue blanket statements to categorize an entire brand line and expect to be taken seriously.
Also, if the fans of lesser known makes are tapping into this forum for ammo, I say we do not continue to give them any!

Personally, for the amount I spent on my brand new 2002 CLK 430, I could have bought a used 993 Porsche with 40K miles or a used BMW 840ci or a new E46 M3. I went with the new CLK and have never looked back! Overall, the way the car fits with my lifestyle, its performance, comfort and ease of ownership, wrapped in the wonderful service from Fletcher Jones have further convinced me that I made the right decision.

Happy motoring.

Last edited by SoCalCLK; 02-09-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:01 PM

ever heard of a test drive?????

Ever heard of a test drive?????
Old 03-21-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
J Lucas, I know it says it's for the MB enthusiast, but that shouldn't mean that we should only be allowed to post glowing remarks about MBs. If someone has a problem with some features, it's cool. Post it and get it off your chest. Trolls (ie people who come here for the express purpose of riling people up) are not welcome, obviously, but rval didn't seem like one. He seemed like he was posting an honest comparison of the two cars.

Personally, I like MB and BMW both. I don't own a Mercedes anymore, but I'm thinking of going back later (much later). For now, though, the driving experience and how the car handles on the twisties is more important to me than pure 0-60 times. However, I'd hope that my opinions would be welcome on this board, despite the fact that you and I might not agree 100% of the time.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Oh I just had too...

rval_1999 I am glad you posted your opinion and in a way I am glad you are getting flamed. Heres why. Just proves how immature and touchy some of these clowns are. Oh yea, BTW, I couldn't agree with you more. As far as Jlucas and SoCalCLK are concerned, don't pay them any attention, they are elitest wanna-be's, who are angry at themselves. Every single post on this thread that anyone ever writes that ever says anything negative about MB, they attack. They attack that individuals personal, financial, and mental state. Or should I say they try. I have had this argument with them so many times over that now it is comical to see them get their panties in a bunch over this. Fellas, how is that mangina of yours doing.

2Pac, well said man, well said..

Incendiary, couldn't agree more. Everyone here takes everything as a personal attack. Its a forum, people should be able to say what they want. If people don't like it, don't read it.

Bottom line, this is an open forum for people to post their concerns, likes, dislikes, findings, dissapointment, and what ever the F they want. Christ, if you don't like it, leave.

One more thing, rval, you said something about not getting technical help when you asked for it. Well you will find that here, a lot. This forum apparently doesn't cater to the non-technical. I haven't met too many techie savy people here. I have asked for help in the past and there are only a limited few who actually know what they are talking about. If you want to talk about who drag raced who and won, this is the place. Want to talk technical stats on how the 430 rates against other cars, don't do it here. You''ll get flamed for putting down the MB, even though you posted legit stats.

Ahhh yes, the beauty of and open forum. And no, JLucas, I am not on a soapbox here. I am simply agreeing with the poor kid, who is trying to earn a living and purchased a status symbol with his hard earned money! Good for you RVAL!

Here, let me save all of you who are going to flame me, a little time;

Flamers - YOU SUCK LDANGELI, YOU SUCK!
Me - Blah, blah, your mom, your car, you, yes, blah, blah.

Was it good for you..

Last edited by ldangeli; 03-22-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, one or two post letting out your feelings is fine but not 20+. But like I said, im done with this thread...

Originally posted by Incendiary
J Lucas, I know it says it's for the MB enthusiast, but that shouldn't mean that we should only be allowed to post glowing remarks about MBs. If someone has a problem with some features, it's cool. Post it and get it off your chest. Trolls (ie people who come here for the express purpose of riling people up) are not welcome, obviously, but rval didn't seem like one. He seemed like he was posting an honest comparison of the two cars.

Personally, I like MB and BMW both. I don't own a Mercedes anymore, but I'm thinking of going back later (much later). For now, though, the driving experience and how the car handles on the twisties is more important to me than pure 0-60 times. However, I'd hope that my opinions would be welcome on this board, despite the fact that you and I might not agree 100% of the time.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Another thread that.......
Old 03-22-2004, 11:12 PM

2014 E350S4
Re: Oh I just had too...

Originally posted by ldangeli
One more thing, rval, you said something about not getting technical help when you asked for it. Well you will find that here, a lot. This forum apparently doesn't cater to the non-technical. I haven't met too many techie savy people here. I have asked for help in the past and there are only a limited few who actually know what they are talking about. If you want to talk about who drag raced who and won, this is the place. Want to talk technical stats on how the 430 rates against other cars, don't do it here. You''ll get flamed for putting down the MB, even though you posted legit stats.
Well, I don't know if this forum is as bad as you say it is. I have noticed some unwarranted personal attacks, perhaps more so than at Bimmerfest (which I've found to have the most mature posters, for the most part), but not more so than at places like Club Lexus or elsewhere. In general, though, it's the busiest MB forum.

Anyway, I've also noticed that people here aren't as technically-oriented as those on, say, Bimmerfest. Do you know of any MB forums that differ in this respect?
Old 03-23-2004, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Anyway, I've also noticed that people here aren't as technically-oriented as those on, say, Bimmerfest. Do you know of any MB forums that differ in this respect?
I haven't seen any. All the forums I have seen for most MB's is generally a "younger" acting crowd. Who raced who, who beat who, that sort of thing. You go to forums like Renlist and Bimmerfest and you can ask for the displacement figures for an engine and get it. Here, you do what Rval did and ask for help on adjusting a latch, and not one person knew how to.

It is a shame, but hey it is an open forum, so...
Old 03-23-2004, 07:43 AM

2014 E350S4
I haven't seen any. All the forums I have seen for most MB's is generally a "younger" acting crowd. Who raced who, who beat who, that sort of thing. You go to forums like Renlist and Bimmerfest and you can ask for the displacement figures for an engine and get it. Here, you do what Rval did and ask for help on adjusting a latch, and not one person knew how to.

It is a shame, but hey it is an open forum, so...
Ha ha, I've noticed that, too. Strange, considering MB's are generally considered for "old people." Wonder if Jag forums suffer from the same affliction. Then again, I haven't really found any Jag forums that have better than anemic posting patterns, so it's hard to judge...
Old 03-23-2004, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Well, one other thing I did notice is that people take things so personally on this forum. Good luck with your car and your postings.

Its off to the races..

Old 03-23-2004, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
Post Actually, I never Personally Attacked You, INDANGELI

Well, one other thing I did notice is that people take things so personally on this forum. Good luck with your car and your postings.

Its off to the races..

I want you to realize that I have never PERSONALLY ATTACKED you, Idangeli, in any of my posts.

Thus your mention of me earlier is an inappropriate comment. And I accept it as an error. Think before you post and DEFEND YOURSELF only against those who have ATTACKED YOU.

Good luck with your car, MG.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
don't respond to personal attacks or else you'll end up with a "on probation" status like i have .. hahahhaa =)
Old 03-23-2004, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
It was not appropriate? I was defending another member, which you attacked. And you have attacked me personally, many a times. Really though , I could care less about you. Read the post, it suggests to the member to not pay you any attention.

I can see it worked.

Last edited by ldangeli; 03-23-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
Thumbs up

You are the coolest person on this board, Idangeli.

You deserve to have your own T-shirt and Slogan like:

"IDANGELI 3:16"

:p
Old 03-24-2004, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
You know what really funny? When people bash mercedes benz!

Let me give you a simple example!

I had a '00 CLK320 AMG which i drove 150,000 kms without ever having any serious problems ( sure the minute probs here and there that were fixed under warranty, but never mechanical ).

i sold the CLK320 and bought a '99 BMW E39 M5 with 40,000 kms on the clock..... WITHOUT PAYING A PENNY EXTRA!

Since i've had the Beemer, I have spent most of my time visiting the dealers cause this car is simply unreliable, not durable and a pain in the ***! Oh sure, dont get me wrong... its a totally different car to the V6 CLK, but less enjoyable to maintain !!!

Modding it has been fun, but maintaining has also been a nightmare!

the point is..... i literally traded in a CLK320 with 150,000 kms (220HP) in for an E39 M5 with 40,000 kms (400HP). Why is that?

Better investment, better retail value, better reliability and better cost effectiveness!

however, no disrespect to BMW, this is one fine automobile with alot of juice!! I've been having alot of fun driving it! But thats all!
Old 03-24-2004, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
You are the coolest person on this board, Idangeli.
Apparently cool enough to get a rise out of others.. Please...

That is the problem with people who try to retaliate for what they consider a personal attack on them. Just because someone states that they are unhappy with their car, and then someone like myself applauds them for speaking their mind? HA! I love this board, full of such life and closed minded, I mean open minded individuals who allow for expressions of emotion and personal feelings.

How it must be so hard to be perfect like........ well who cares really. If you make the T-shirts, I'll sell em...
Old 03-24-2004, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its not that bad, all people from jersey act like that...
Old 03-24-2004, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
HAHA, I am not from Jersey, JA... Only ignorant pompous asses say that.. A$$ Clown!
Old 03-24-2004, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Old 03-24-2004, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
HAHA, I am not from Jersey, JA... Only ignorant pompous asses say that.. A$$ Clown!
funny =)
Old 03-25-2004, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Ahmed,

Your post makes no sense. On one line you say that the M5 is
Since i've had the Beemer, I have spent most of my time visiting the dealers cause this car is simply unreliable, not durable and a pain in the ***! Oh sure, dont get me wrong... its a totally different car to the V6 CLK, but less enjoyable to maintain !!!
and on the very next line you say
the point is..... i literally traded in a CLK320 with 150,000 kms (220HP) in for an E39 M5 with 40,000 kms (400HP). Why is that? Better investment, better retail value, better reliability and better cost effectiveness!
, so which one is it? The M5 is better or worse, cause you say both. I am confused.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: A Fun Rant on the CLK...... and BMW