CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A Fun Rant on the CLK...... and BMW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
A Fun Rant on the CLK...... and BMW

Ok, before I begin, I had a 1997 BMW 528 (E39) which I traded in on my current 1998 CLK 320. I got a great deal on the trade and car itself, so I did it. My mother has a 2002 CLK320 that sparked my interest in the MB in the first place and I figured it was time for a change. I question if it was a good idea???

The interior of the MB is nothing special in my opinion, reminds me of a typical american car compared to the BMW. Handling wise, the car is not as sporty as the BMW, though I wanted a more "luxury" ride. The stereo is way better in the MB, but causes rattles that irritate me, just as in the BMW. The car does feel solid and safe and the 5 speed trans shifts very smooth, I like it better than the BMW. The engine of the MB causes a vibration at stops, it pisses me off and the dealer says nothing is wrong. The BMW was smooth as a top. The power curve of the cars must also be alot different, despite the MB's .5 litre advantage over the 528. I think BMW's engine was more responsive and did better at higher RPM.

I am writing this because I wonder why MB is so far behind BMW. My Bimmer had standard steering wheel/radio controls, auto up/down windows, more than six radio presets and overall more like a LUXURY car. I always thought BMW was for younger sporty people and MB was for older refined luxury people??

Bottom line, I like the car, but do not love it. I don't want to mod. it because I don't care enough, I just wonder why after haveing the BMW for 4 years I smiled everytime I got in and out of it and ALWAYS looked back at it when walking away. The MB is just a car to me..... sad. Lets just hope it lasts for a while.

Rick
Old 02-04-2004, 05:27 PM
jnx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why didn't you go for that new, space age looking 5 series, I wonder if it will be as big of a hit as the 7 series. Couldn't you compare these differences before you took the plunge? I mean with your mother already owning a 320, You certainly could have driven hers to see if you were going to like it?.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1. What is the subject suppose to mean?fun ran?Bottom line is, Who really cares besides you and your mom(2002 clk 320 ) you don't like your cars?Why must you post your whining and crying and complaining like a little girl for all to see. Have some pride chump..
Old 02-04-2004, 05:55 PM
TNH

Why don't you buy another BMW? seriously
Old 02-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Almost a Member!

he's just asking to get flamed for posting that here...I currently drive both BMW and MB and in my honest opinion...TAKE YOURS ELSEWHERE, i'm sure the mods at e46fanatics or bimmerforums would love you, their mods suck!
Old 02-04-2004, 08:48 PM

CLK, X5
More responsive???? WTF, it's a sedan with 189(???) hp! Come on, if your serious, you should have just traded in your BMW for one of those American Cars which is just as luxurious as a CLK (hm.... taurus? cavalier? lol)
Old 02-04-2004, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
how can you compare your clk to an american car? that is ridiculous. I own a CLK and a 540i as well. I HATE driving that 540i. it's a fricking boat. it has more power, but i didn't buy the CLK for the power. i bought it for the luxury and the status. Comeon dude..... stop whining like a little biotch.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:47 AM

2005 SL500
Wow, was not expecting to get that response, calling me names and all..... To the people who say I was whining, aren't message boards for people to express their grievences and get answers to their questions??? I would bet that many of you do not answer tech questions, unless it is with "Why not just take it to the dealer?", as if the poster did not think of that one.

To sort of defend myself I am not a rich guy. I am 25, can't afford a new 5-series and my last one had 120k miles on it and some problems, thats why I dumped it. Also I figured I would try another brand. My mother has her CLK which I have driven and liked, and she loves. As everyone here must know, you can only get so "familiar" with a car before buying it. Driving it every day for a month starts to tell the complete story. Obviously I knew about the cars quirks and option differences (mostly through this site) before buying it and as I said I got a good deal on the car. I thought, "Hey, it's a Mercedes, it must be a great luxury car and time for a change anyway".

BTW, I think that most of us agree that parts and labor are ridiculous on the MB, why not bash those people for their opinions? My rant was written right after MB told me they wanted $89 to adjust the trunk spring... no-one here could tell me how to do it....

I do not think I was bashing the car either, just pointing out some of my dislikes. If anyone bothered to read the entire post they would have seen that I plan on keeping it for awhile.... The reader would also know that I was just wondering why the BMW made me smile even after four years, yet the CLK doesn't after four weeks? Maybe the bad weather? Maybe the few *****s on this board (most people are very helpful/cool).

Rick

To Posters:

JNX- Not a big fan of new 5-er, BMW should have continued the e39. Couldn't afford it anyway.........

J Lucas- Why are you such a dick to respond like that, don't like what I write? Don't read it.... certainly don't waste your precious time replying.... you're the chump and a dick.

TNH- Wanted to switch brands, my buddy raves about MB and alot of people do.

XcvX- Are you YELLING at me to take my opinion elswhere? Did you also imply that I suck? Your signature has a BMW on it... whats wrong with you? Oh, you're an @ss hole....

Performance- Like an ML320? Thats a nice American car! Oh, wait.... see my point?

clkal- Well, unlike you I bought the CLK because I was hoping to be impressed, not to impress others.... Let me guess, low self esteem because you couldn't get into med-school, don't feel bad...alot of people THINK chiropractors ARE doctors.

Last edited by rval_1999; 02-05-2004 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally posted by rval_1999
[B
clkal- Well, unlike you I bought the CLK because I was hoping to be impressed, f_status...biotch. [/B]
u fuC$king stupid a$$ piece of *****. You come into this forum and post something pathetic, and to make it worse, you compare the CLK to an american car. What do you think the members in this forum are going to do? Of course they are gonna rip on you, you fuc$king dumb a$$. I don't give a flying FU@k how young or old you are, and I don't give a **** what your momma drives. At least now, everybody knows that your momma isn't the one that made you into the BIOTCH you are today.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:26 AM

2005 SL500
CLKal Oh, I edited the last part of my post regarding you, after you read it last.... Snoop Dogg. Or was it the med school thing that set you off?? BTW how was my post pathetic??? I was venting stress, don't want to be stuck at some quack wanna-be M.D. chiropractor's office, thats barely medicine (you know that though). I am sure someone has similar gripes about their CLK, oh wait, the whole board is full of them, that's the point!

And in my original post I don't believe I resorted to name calling like you.... low class scum
Old 02-05-2004, 02:12 AM

I still cant understand why you compared a mercedes to an american car?? btw I drive a few Mercedes and a BMW, I know these cars very well.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:58 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by PerformanceCLK
More responsive???? WTF, it's a sedan with 189(???) hp! Come on, if your serious, you should have just traded in your BMW for one of those American Cars which is just as luxurious as a CLK (hm.... taurus? cavalier? lol)
talk trash only when you know the fact...

528i has a 192hp engine. It's not the engine that's more responsive, but rather the throttle control is more responsive on the BMW in almost all the cases. The CLK or any MB in general has a lag in throttle response.

as far as the engine goes, the BMW i-6 seems to run happier on the high end and the MB v6 sometimes runs dry up top. This is probably because of the broader TQ band for the BMW i-6 although it has less peak TQ and hp. You can still have fun in both cars tho.

Dare you to ask me how do I know...

anywayz...a 97 528i for a 98 CLK320 all I can say is it's an interesting trade. These are totally different cars. The 208 CLK's based on a much smaller car and aimed at different people.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
CLKal Oh, I edited the last part of my post regarding you, after you read it last.... Snoop Dogg. Or was it the med school thing that set you off?? BTW how was my post pathetic??? I was venting stress, don't want to be stuck at some quack wanna-be M.D. chiropractor's office, thats barely medicine (you know that though). I am sure someone has similar gripes about their CLK, oh wait, the whole board is full of them, that's the point!

And in my original post I don't believe I resorted to name calling like you.... low class scum
here we go again..... Gay bashing, part II..... now we gotta get into people's career's. That's fine with me, and I believe it was fine with your mom when she came in for her adjustment and I fu$ked her in her a$$. Call chiropractors what you want....quacks, wanna-be M.D.'s, etc etc.....all that matters is that MY patients call me doctor, and that my office makes enough to pay for my CLK, 540 , and NSX......geez for someone who is only 25 and doesn't make decent money, you sure need to learn to appreciate a mercedes you stupid biotch.

u know what....i feel bad for you. i will stop clowning on your sorry a$$. Keep on comparing your clk to ford tempos. It's your perrogative. Have a good life.

Last edited by clkal; 02-05-2004 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:18 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
hmm...I see a lot of people looking to get banned lately...
Old 02-05-2004, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally posted by FrankW
hmm...I see a lot of people looking to get banned lately...
i wonder who???
Old 02-05-2004, 03:56 AM
Almost a Member!

yes, there is a BMW in my sig because I drive a 328i (same engine as you 5 surprisingly) and a CLK320. Even these two cars are completely different so you're comparison between a 5er and a CLK is like comparing the CLK320 to an E320. Driven both of those before seeing as, d*amn didn't want to bring her into this, my mother drives an E320.

Also, I still can't understand your comparison of the interior to an American can. Let's think of the American Luxory cars: Cadddy, nope doens't look like that, Lincoln, nope don't think so ummm are there anymore? I think I can compare the interior to my BMW except that my bimmer has black interior and the clk has gray. Audi, looks pretty similar to that too.

Yes, the throttle response is different BUT the CLK definately feels quicker off the line than my 3er. The 3er's curb weight is around 3000lbs with 193 HP while the CLK weighs in arodun 3200lbs with 215hp which works out to around 14lbs/1hp for the 3er and 15.5lbs/1hp for CLK, slight advantage there while the 528i weighs in around 3340lbs which brings its ratio to: 17lbs/1hp. I the power curves are definately drastically different though which explains why some companies choose inline while others choose straight and still other v. I tried to find some stock power curves for CLKs but had no luck.

You mention earlier that you thought MBs were "for older refined luxury people" which would explain why the power curves are different. CLKs are built to a different specification and target group than the 3ers and 5ers are and did you ever consider that the reason the car does feel as responsive is because it is a luxury car and people who buy luxury cars buy them so they don't feel the harsh pull and response that some of us live for?

I apologize for being immature in previous posts but it just seemed like you had decided to post on a MB forum bashing MBs, especially comparing them to an American car. I buy German because I like the way German's engineer their cars. May it be built in Germany or in the Carolinas (don't know where or if there's an MB plant in the US). Your tone was misunderstood obviously.

Lastly, did you ever pay for anything out of you pocket for repairs on the BMW because they're not cheap either. I do agree though I wish we had some more people with technical expertise of the CLK on the board, there's some things that I want to do myself and I know its easy just don't know where to start.

I'm done...............................

Last edited by XcvX; 02-05-2004 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:09 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
NICE Tornado 3!!

I had a 00 328Ci. Can't tell you how much I loved it over my sis's 00 CLK320.

btw, the 328i's weight is more like 3250lbs and the CLK's weight is more like 3210lbs give or take for both cars.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:18 AM

2005 SL500
Frank- I dare ask, how do you know??? BTW, I did not talk trash about the engine, just felt the BMW was more responsive, which you say is true, sorta.

What I do know and what I did say is that the BMW felt more responsive, despite it's extra 300lbs and 30 less lbs/torque, I also think the I-6 is smoother, MB told me the 3.2L is a rougher engine and I say how can a luxury car that retails for $40+k idle so rough? Like a broken motor mount, MB says A-OK?

I know the family 4-door BMW is an odd trade to the sporty CLK, but hey, I don't have a family, so why have two extra doors....(maybe for the fun of fixing 2 extra window motors that broke on the BMW often, yea fun!). I bought the CLK not realizing it was built on the C-class frame, thought it was a shortened E (those tricky headlights). Any suggestions to get improved throttle response on MB???? I know the MB is much faster 0-60, but 60-90 BMW wins IMHO.....

Caliz- I compared the interior styling to an american car, which I think is true. Look at Audi, VW & BMW (late 90's). Square buttons, redish/orange display, interior lighting scheme, "****pit" feel. The MB, while not pickup truck american, seems to have more rounded buttons, the greenish hue instrument lights common in Chrysler products and seems designed for passenger and driver to have equal access to radio and dash controls. I mean some Mercedes have been built in USA since 1996. It seems to me that prior to 1996 MB was pure euro, now they have more of an American feel.... you must agree, they know their primary market and are co-owned by an American company??

CLKal- Dude chill out.... I did not know you were gay and I don't even think I said anything about that anyway.... You said you bought the car for status, I bought mine for quality. I am sure you are a rich guy and have nice cars and house and whatever.... for status. My clients don't call me doctor, though I have a doctorate (thats ironic, ...does everyone without a doctorate go by "Dr." in Cali, or just you?) but I only have one car, so I get no respect. I made observations about things I did not like about the car, but this was not my first post.....coming here and bashing MB.

As I said before you are a *****, you said you f-ed my mother (BTW did you get your tux for prom yet), nice!!!! I can expect people to disagree with me calling the MB an american car (though if you read closely, that is not what was said), but to call me a whining biotch?? Wouldn't the better way to respond be by citing examples of why I am wrong? But from low class people, name calling is expected..... or I wasn't wrong....

Finally, I expect an apology for what you said about my mother, and I apologize for having an opinion about the car I drive based on something other than status....
Old 02-05-2004, 04:19 AM
Almost a Member!

yah, i rounded down on everything I calculated. Some of the cars I could only find specs in kgs and some only in lbs so I had to convert and to get the ratios i divided and rounded down. I like to be conservative. I also could have used the curb weight for a 323i which could cause the lesser weight as well...

Thanks for the compliment on the tornado, trying to sell it right now though, its kinda falling apart

I also edited the above post and added the e39 weight info too

Last edited by XcvX; 02-05-2004 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Almost a Member!

its kinda funny we all are responding and taking so long that by the time we post something new has come up to read from someone else and hey, its 2:30 in the morning here
Old 02-05-2004, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rval
This forum is not to post your shortcomings and personal problems. Look on the top, do you see where it says "for the mercedes-benz enthusiast" Not for some broke dude who spent his last dollar to buy a 98 clk 320 which is the FIRST year of the w208 productions so which is bound to have tons of issues. THATS WHY ANY MORON WITH A BRAIN KNOWS TO WAIT for at least the 2nd -3rd years before purchasing a model so the manufaturer can fix all the quirks.

Is it my fault you spent all your money on a used mercedes car and dont have any money left over to fix it?NO

Is it my fault that you CLAIM your mother has a 2002 clk, but you were too stupid to drive it for a considerable amount of time or ask her what she thinks about the car so you wouldnt have wasted your last dime on a 5 year old model that has a DOCUMENTED HISTORY OF PROBLEMS? NO

Come on man, be real, like youve stated plenty of times in your post, your real beef is not with the problems but that you cant afford them to fix it. If you could or if you had a warranty , WE WOULD NOT BE HERE RIGHT NOW LISTENING TO YOUR BS.

You asked for help, no one could assist, so you go out and disrespect a perfectly fine automobile by comparing it to an american car, one that most people reading this own and took offense too. Now your all shocked...COME ON BE SERIOUS

First of all, I have a 430 and ive driven the 320, there is a big difference, the 430 is 20x more exciting to drive. The v8 is superb imho, yeah the peddle response could be better but I didnt expect a sports car ride out of a 50,000 luxury coupe.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:35 PM
TNH

I think this post has gotten out of hand. There are so many cars out there, and so many different people to drive them. I love cars, just about every kind and brand. I have a CLK 430, I used to have a CLK 320. I loved the 320, and I like the 430 even better. I also have a 2002 camaro......definitely not a car that many people on this forum are probably interested in. But I like it, it's fast as hell, cheap, and is pretty durable for an american car. The interior sucks, but I don't care....I bought it to beat the hell out of and have a good time. Bottom line is, different strokes for different folks.

I'd drive a BMW, I seem to find things I like in any car I drive. I've considered selling my CLK for a number of different rides, all much different than the CLK.....Lexus LS430, Acura NSX, Toyota Supra and a few others. I think people should stop being so loyal to one type of vehicle or one brand of vehicle, it just doesn't make sense.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:45 PM
jnx

I have a CLK 430, an E320, and a 911 cab. and also a Dodge Truck, I like them all for many different reasons, Right now our weather is snow/sleet, So I drive the Truck, That is the reason I bought it in the first place. I just wish we would get some decent weather so I can get the others out. They have been in the garage for the last 12 days. My point is I like many, many cars, and have owned alot of them, and don't compare them to each other. They all do something better than the next, and I accept that. There is no perfect car.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:44 PM

2005 SL500
This thread DID get out of hand, thanks to people that want to attack me personally, not because of car issues:

J Lucas- Man you do not read very well, when did I say I spent my last penny on the car, and when did I say I could not afford to fix the problems?????? I made the trunk adjustment comparison because it is ridiculous that I should pay $100 to adjust my trunk from opening violently.... even if I had $1 million it is still crazy. (keep in mind it is an ajustment, no broken parts)

You are right I am a moron with no brain because I bought the first year of production, I am the first person to ever do that and hopefully I will be the last. I heard that MB now has a new procedure to correct that from happening again. They are going to take all of their first MY cars from the assembly line and incinerate them, including the SLR, CL, and new CLS. Way to bash all 98-99 MY owners, since I am sure there are none on this board. (Everyone here has a 2000+ according to you)

The "problems" that I spoke of, were things such as engine response and interior styling/functions. Not problems because they are broken, they function properly, like most things on the car, problems because IMHO BMW did some things better (don't forget that I did give MB a compliment or two, trans, luxury ride, power). I did not mean to offend you by "disrespecting a perfectly fine automobile". Come on man, its a car (that appearently we both own) not your wife.....

Also, I did not even think about asking my mother about what she thought of the car, or to drive it..... never occurred to me, so obvious I overlooked that. Instead I asked the car salesman what he thought, and I took everything he said as truth, he wouldn't lie......

Don't forget dipstick, I own the damn car too and I like it, don't love it. The "Star" is cool, I just wonder if MB has been trading on past success? Am I allowed to ask that?

BTW- My Xenon bulb went out, MB wanted $199 plus labor to install.... got it from a VERY helpful member here for $60, but like you said I am a broke moron. Still wouldn't trade places with a non-reading jerk like you, who treats his car like his wife, and probably wife like a car..............
Old 02-05-2004, 02:08 PM
TNH

The "Star" is cool, I just wonder if MB has been trading on past success? Am I allowed to ask that?
I will be the first to agree with you there. I have owned many brands of vehicles, and I must say that Mercedes deserves nowhere near as good of a reputation as they have. They are plagued with problems, much more than cars that cost half as much. I love the CLK, but mainly for its looks. So many times I have considered selling the car for a Japanese machine......go visit club lexus and read all the forums. You won't see more than a post or two about problems with their cars, because things just don't go wrong with them. Even BMW has had their share of problems....many motor recalls on the E46 M3. You don't see stuff like that on Japanese cars, they don't let them off the assembly line until they are really ready to go. Another reason for this is that the japanese manufacturer's don't radically redesign their platforms every 3-4 years like the Europeans and Americans. By the time MB works the bugs out of a certain model (00-02 w208 CLK for example), they switch to a whole new vehicle (w209).

I personally love the looks of the CLK inside and out, and I am happy with the way it runs. I hear of many problems with the CLK's, and I have fortunately not experienced anything too bad. I will continue to drive mine until I am tired of it, but I probably won't buy another MB product again. I do a lot of the work on the CLK myself, and even when I do that I still experience problems with the parts department of the dealership and I have to pay for the overpriced parts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: A Fun Rant on the CLK...... and BMW