CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Roll Bar / Headrest Retraction / Lowering : How-To

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 09:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320
You are correct about discounting the Red Connection, It's going to take 2 big dudes or 4 Both Levers have to be pushed all the way in. AT THE SAME TIME, Mine happened in Freezing Temperatures so, surely, it was slightly harder, basically 1 person bouncing on each Rollbar while another holds the latch back. Luckily the first helper I had were Female because it would've got weird otherwise. It IS SO hard to get it to go down the last 1/4 inch, from what it looked like. Make sure you reconnect that Red Connector. Manually retracting these roll bars, Is all about fighting that Spring, I can't image what it would have been like to fight Hydronic Pressure also.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLK 230 Kompressor
Success after following instructions and updating

After being successful lowering the rollbar, I will share two useful tips that helped plenty.
As reminder, my roof was up and the headrests/rollbar fully raised.

After removing the seats cushions, depressurising the hidraulyc sistem, I needed to lower the rollbar a bit so I could lower the soft-top and have someone sitting on it.
Tip 1: Have a large and sturdy crowbar. Leverage it between the bowl cover lock and the rollbar itself.
Tip 2: Get 2 L-shaped square brackets. It will work better than bubblegum or a screwdriver.
Wedge them between the lockpaws. By pressing on the bracket, you are leveraging without slipping with just your thumbs.

Then, a friend with the crowbar can push the rollbar down just enough to lower the soft-top.

After the soft-top is lowered, press the L-brackets again and have your friend sit on it - 80kg or more.
​​​​
Remember until where the rollbar lowers. Without the seats one can be mislead on trying to lower beyond bottom-dead position. You won't damage it but it will be energy badly spent

The type of L-bracket

​​​​