CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

430 Soft Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK430
430 Soft Suspension

I've noticed that the CLK430's suspension is so soft. It's not as tight I would have expected it to be for a sports coupe. Does anyone else experience this thought? Do the 320's feel the same?

I say all this because I got a C240 loaner today from the dealer and the suspension on it is pretty tight and responsive compared to my CLK.

If I had to change the suspension, can anyone recommend a moderately aggressive setup? I don't want anything too aggressive nor "slammed". I would also like to keep my original rims if possible. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
I have H&R springs and Koni sport adjustables shocks, which will lower your car arpund 1.5" all around and give you a stiffer ride.
As you can see I still have my original wheels, but even with this setup, you can go with 18 or 19 inch wheels and wider with no problem.

Last edited by theine; 02-13-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
See CLK Handling - Driving a Couch

The boys on the forum don't like me much. Their ignorance about whom they are out weighs my ignorance or lack of expert experience with dropping 13k into the car for better performance.

MB has yet to design a vehicle that's suspension out performs its engines. Their suspension is very soft, and gives a luxury ride, as it is meant to. Unfortunately, that is just the way they are. You can add all kinds of upgrades, but don't expect MB to align your vehicle or support any sort of suspension concerns you have once you do.

I added H&R/Koni over a year ago and have yet to get an alignment done by MB because I modified the factory original. I don't know about you, but I think that is BS. Not that they won't do it, but apparently they can't get the laser machine under the car now, and want an extra 300 for labor to force it.

Good luck with the car, mine is crap, purchase new and in the shop more than I drive it. Had ordered an E55, and cancled the order as I will spend 100k elsewhere..

Two words about Mercedes... Not impressed....
Old 03-03-2004, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Thumbs up Brabus will do the trick

That's a great question you are asking. I bought my 2002 CLK 430 brand new and went with Brabus Springs and OEM shocks as my suspension choice, and I must tell you that I am very impressed.

The ride is comfortable, the lowering is 1.25 inches and the handling is much improved. Although it is not a Porsche or a 540 suspension-wise, the benefit in ride quality and overall prestige and solidity of the vehicle more than outweigh the disadvantage in the suspension.

However, if you want a lowering look that is slightlly more cool than that of a CLK 55 AMG, while keeping a smooth and consistent ride and improving handling 35%, without spending too much money, then the Brabus Springs only should do the trick for the CLK 430.

P.S. Not too many on this forum have the Brabus springs (I think MMGrad has the Full [springs and shocks] Brabus suspension), and thus Brabus suspensions are often overlooked.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How much is a full brabus suspension setup?Id definitely leaning more towards Brabus than Kleeman right now due to the huge difference in price...

Last edited by J Lucas; 03-03-2004 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
MMGrad has the full set-up

J - I would definitely talk to MMGrad about the costs and performance of the Full Brabus Suspension. I have heard it costs around 1000-1200??

Also, don't forget to ask around regarding the AMG Full Suspension. I have heard it goes for $900-1100 and you may be surprised by the amount of handling and comfort you get...

I have the springs only and they ran around $400-600 installed....
Old 03-04-2004, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I didnt know amg made a full suspension for the 430. Are you referring to the one on the clk 55?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
Actually it is specially made for the CLK 430

From what I understand AMG makes a seperate suspension for the CLK 430 that is not the same one from the 55.

We know that AMG was a tuner for MBZ (like Lorinser and Brabus) before they were bought by the company. Thus, aftermarket parts (like exhaust and suspension) were made for most MBZ models.

I know there is a seperate full suspension made for the 430 that is available. As far as ride height and performance characteristics, I would contact the authorized retailer CEC Wheels in Santa Monica.

My feeling is that AMG is a good quality name and makes good products, might be worth a look.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would rather speak with someone on the boards who has the suspension themselves and could offer me some honest reviews on it.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK430
Must agree about the soft suspension, I have had my 01 CLK 430 for about a week and I must admit it handles no where near my old BMW 3 coupe. I think the suspension tweaks will be my 1st mod. I want to keep the luxury ride but I want to take the vagueness out of the steering and the float out of the ride.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
The AMG uses the same suspension and steering hookup, just uses different sway bars. Its the same ride height as the 430. It also uses the same transmission, but different brakes. I am not sure why MB likes to mass produce vehicles, but they do. Money I guess.

I put H&R / Koni in and it lowered the car 1.4 (F), 1.2(R), and took some of the sway / float out of the ride, but my theory is, I paid 60+ k for the car, if I am going to dump more in, I will go get something else. I too was dissapointed with the 430.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are people who spend 100,000 + on cars and still pour money into modding. Unless you get a car custom build for you, it cant live up to everything you want out of a car... My suggestion to you would be to get in a few test drives before purchasing... I cant understand how people buy a car and then say they dont like the way it drives...
Old 03-04-2004, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
There are people who spend 100,000 + on cars and still pour money into modding. Unless you get a car custom build for you, it cant live up to everything you want out of a car... My suggestion to you would be to get in a few test drives before purchasing... I cant understand how people buy a car and then say they dont like the way it drives...

If that was a ref. to me I must say that I didn't go into this blindly and I fully understand that the Benz is not a sports car, but a sporty coupe. MB is and always will be like driving your couch. I think the point here is that people are led to believe that the CLK is something it is not. Not matter how much you put into it. I love my clk look, handling and style, but I sure wouldn't compare it to anything else other than another CLK. It can't compete.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First, Idangeli is wrong about the only difference between the 430 and 55 being the sway bars. The 55 uses different stock shocks and a beefier transmission. Second, Idnageli is clueless about MB tuning. While the CLK will never have the balance to handle like a true sports car, there is huge room for improvement. Before you start babbling again Idangeli, why don't you take a look at the numbers Renntech was putting up in their CLK GTX. They have the CLK pulling close to a G on the skidpad and ran very competitive time in the supertuner shootout. Idangeli is obviously pissed because he was too ignorant to understand what he was buying before he bought it and too cheap to do something about his dissatisfaction. He posts innacurate information and doesn't have any useful knowledge when it comes to MB tuning.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you seen ben from evosports clk lately? Ask him who and what he runs on the track with his clk... You can make it into whatver you want it to be, you just have to have the money to be able to do so. I think the point @ which most people start to get frustrated with the clk is when they realize all the things they want to do to it, they cant because its just too expensive... if you want to try to change the clk to your liking, it will cost you a bundle and most people just dont have that extra cash to mod their clk's to their liking with the exception of a few...

Originally posted by ldangeli
If that was a ref. to me I must say that I didn't go into this blindly and I fully understand that the Benz is not a sports car, but a sporty coupe. MB is and always will be like driving your couch. I think the point here is that people are led to believe that the CLK is something it is not. Not matter how much you put into it. I love my clk look, handling and style, but I sure wouldn't compare it to anything else other than another CLK. It can't compete.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Its my od friend sleesy-stack. According to MBUSA, the transmission is the same. I thought it was different as well, but according to the dealer / MBUSA Tech Reference its not. Oh anh you are so right about
Idangeli is obviously pissed because he was too ignorant to understand what he was buying before he bought it and too cheap to do something about his dissatisfaction.
. I forgot you are and always will be the infinitely wise one about MB. Relax Sleesboy. We forgot you are perfect. F a Rentech. I am doing something about it. I am buying a better car.

My point again, since you are too thick headed to understand it, let me spell it out for you, its not cost, sorry your a class warrior with no class, its principle. You pay decent money for a car that isn't worth it. Look on this forum alone at all the unhappy owners complaining about poor performance and relentless problems. Unlike you, everyone else has a full time job and can't waste their every waking moment strokin' their car.

It is always a pleasure to hear from you. We really should get together sometime.... It would be fantastic.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by J Lucas
Have you seen ben from evosports clk lately? Ask him who and what he runs on the track with his clk... You can make it into whatver you want it to be, you just have to have the money to be able to do so. I think the point @ which most people start to get frustrated with the clk is when they realize all the things they want to do to it, they cant because its just too expensive... if you want to try to change the clk to your liking, it will cost you a bundle and most people just dont have that extra cash to mod their clk's to their liking with the exception of a few...
Completely agree. Modding (or morphing) an MB is not a cheap process and not a good value play.... but so much fun.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
And why is it slees, that you think I don't have the money to mod. I PERSONALLY see it as a waste of time to try and achieve something that PERSONALLY think it will never be. I don't understand why you can't see that. IT IS MY OPINION. It has nothing to do with money. I see it as a waste. Yes it is a beautiful car, but to me just not that beautiful.. I guess I can't have my own opinion. Isn't that what this board is for? And come to think of it, you are referring to a post sometime back, that you and your A$$ Clown friend couldn't even answer a simple technical question about brakes. It was all about who's wallet was bigger and who knew more about Mods.

So really, who cares...

Last edited by ldangeli; 03-04-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its my od friend sleesy-stack. According to MBUSA, the transmission is the same. I thought it was different as well, but according to the dealer / MBUSA Tech Reference its not. Oh anh you are so right about . I forgot you are and always will be the infinitely wise one about MB. Relax Sleesboy. We forgot you are perfect. F a Rentech. I am doing something about it. I am buying a better car.

My point again, since you are too thick headed to understand it, let me spell it out for you, its not cost, sorry your a class warrior with no class, its principle. You pay decent money for a car that isn't worth it. Look on this forum alone at all the unhappy owners complaining about poor performance and relentless problems. Unlike you, everyone else has a full time job and can't waste their every waking moment strokin' their car.

It is always a pleasure to hear from you. We really should get together sometime.... It would be fantastic.
Ahh jackhole. Full time job. I have one that pays quite well thank you. "Spend all day stroking my car?" Do you even realize I haven't seen my CLK in 2 years. The point is, people come on this board asking about improvements they can make to their CLK. You come on the board giving all sorts of misinformation and whining like a biatch. I respond by letting people know there is alot that can be done, albeit at a cost. CLKs definitely have their problems and their share of unhappy owners. So as a matter of principle you are upset because you paid too much for a car? I have a better principle for you. Accountability. Realize that perhaps should have done a little research before getting into a car you are so unhappy with. Tool.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And why is it slees, that you think I don't have the money to mod. I PERSONALLY see it as a waste of time to try and achieve something that PERSONALLY think it will never be. I don't understand why you can't see that. IT IS MY OPINION. It has nothing to do with money. I see it as a waste. Yes it is a beautiful car, but to me just not that beautiful.. I guess I can't have my own opinion. Isn't that what this board is for? And come to think of it, you are referring to a post sometime back, that you and your A$$ Clown friend couldn't even answer a simple technical question about brakes.

So really, who cares...
Question about brakes? What the hell are you talking about? Relax chump. I don't think you don't have the money. All I said was that modding MBs is not cheap. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I..... and my opinion is that you suck monkey *****.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Again, oh wise one. You are so right, as usual. I got into my car, because of this board actually. And look where it landed me.. I am not giving misinformation, I am giving what I was told by MB, oh yeah, and a fellow MB owner who ridded himself of his AMG. And anyone who doesn't double check multiple sources, should wake up.

Riddle me this tool-boy. You buy a car, for 60K new, you dump 20K mods into it and by the first year its worth 39k? Want to talk accountability?? And the car isn't too much money. Its not enough car...
Old 03-04-2004, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Only your monkey ***** baby.. don't act like you don't like it either.. Oh and only on Sundays...

Last edited by ldangeli; 03-04-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Again, oh wise one. You are so right, as usual. I got into my car, because of this board actually. And look where it landed me.. I am not giving misinformation, I am giving what I was told by MB, oh yeah, and a fellow MB owner who ridded himself of his AMG. And anyone who doesn't double check multiple sources, should wake up.

Riddle me this tool-boy. You buy a car, for 60K new, you dump 20K mods into it and by the first year its worth 39k? Want to talk accountability?? And the car isn't too much money. Its not enough car...
Your equation is all wrong.... I buy a car for 60K and have dumped over 100K in mods. It's value is undetermined but probably less that 1/2 of what I spent thus far. I'm not losing any sleep over it... nor do I have to.

I'm not sure how many times I have to say that tuning is a horrible value play. I think we agree on that. You are concerned about value when it comes to your cars, I am not.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
I will agree that moding is value play, but guys like you and I who can and have dumped a lot of money into a car(s), I feel can give the wrong impression to other board readers who are looking to get somewhere with the CLK without spending another 100k, and it will never be..

That is all I am sayin...

For 160k there is so much out there that just makes me all tingly in my pants.. unfortunately MB CLK ain't it.

BTW - thats a sickness you have...

Last edited by ldangeli; 03-04-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will agree that moding is value play, but guys like you and I who can and have dumped a lot of money into a car(s), I feel can give the wrong impression to other board readers who are looking to get somewhere with the CLK withouth spending another 100k.

That is all I am sayin...

For 160k there is so much out there that just makes me all tingly in my pants.. unfortunately MB CLK ain't it.
I'm pretty consistent about telling board members that what I am doing is absurd form a value perspective. I happen to like the W208, as it looks like a German muscle car to me, and wanted to build a nice tribute to the W208. That being said, there are alot of tuning options that don't require a 6.3 liter block, a Kleemann SC, rollcage, etc. For a fairly reasonable cost, a CLK owner can vastly improve certain aspects of the CLK (e.g. the suspension). As someone who has tried multiple suspension setups on my CLK, I think I can offer some good information to those looking for it. I just think you have had a bad experience with your MB, have determined that you don't want to spend another dime on your CLK and make statements about the CLKs potential without having actually gone down that road. Your comments about the problems with your CLK are fine, but you statements about what it can or can't be seem to be based more on bitterness than experience.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 430 Soft Suspension