CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Extended warranty, worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 Conv.
Extended warranty, worth it?

My warranty on 430 CLK 2000 converti. will end soon, end of March and was looking to buying an extended warranty.

I got a quote from my dealer for a 4 year/75K bumper-bumper warranty with $200 deductible for $2700.

Is this a good price for what I am getting?

Anybody has heard of a better deal?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Re: Extended warranty, worth it?

Originally posted by joeray
My warranty on 430 CLK 2000 converti. will end soon, end of March and was looking to buying an extended warranty.

I got a quote from my dealer for a 4 year/75K bumper-bumper warranty with $200 deductible for $2700.

Is this a good price for what I am getting?

Anybody has heard of a better deal?

Any help would be appreciated.
hmm tough decision,,, i'd say if you've been having problems w/the car go ahead and get it, mercs are supposed to be reliable
but when stuff happends, fixing it aint cheap....
i couldn't tell you if thats a good price, but having a deductable is kind of annoying

good luck
Old 02-19-2004, 02:57 PM
jnx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do know that, Like anything else, these prices are negotiable, Also read the fine print. Seems most of them exclude quite a bit. Good Luck
Old 02-19-2004, 08:16 PM

2000 CLK 320
I considered getting warranty too when my car hit 50K but passed on it. Currently the car has 60K and no problems so far (knock on wood). Josh has his car up to 100K, see what kind of problems he's had (or if your'e reading this then feel free to report )
Old 02-20-2004, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
whatever you do, stay AWAY from the HERITAGE warranty. I bought the heritage one when i bought my car, and every time i tried to make a claim (which my brochure stated was going to be covered), they pointed to a damn exclusion clause in small print on the back of the contract. Mickey mouse companies like Heritage should NOT be offered to Mercedes owners.

my 2 cents.

AL
Old 02-20-2004, 03:02 PM

2001 CLK 320
I came really close to buying an extended warranty myself- after a ton of research, I settled on an extended warranty from AAA.

They came in the least expensive, and I trust them from past experience.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:09 PM

2000 CLK 430 Conv.
Thanks for all the input.

The warranty my dealer is offering is from Millennium and it's their platinum which supposedly is the most comprehensive coverage.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:17 PM

2001 CLK 320
Just to note, AAA quoted me ~$1800 for the Platinum warranty (covers everything). It beat out everyone I could find-

My dealer wanted ~$3500
Old 02-21-2004, 04:33 AM

MB
Originally posted by cscordo
Just to note, AAA quoted me ~$1800 for the Platinum warranty (covers everything). It beat out everyone I could find-

My dealer wanted ~$3500
Does the warranty work the same as the factory warranty? Isn't AAA an insurance company?

Thanks,

Solihin
Old 02-21-2004, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally posted by hinhin7
Does the warranty work the same as the factory warranty? Isn't AAA an insurance company?

Thanks,

Solihin
i believe the AAA warranty has some type of deductible, whereas the mercedes starmark one has no deductible....it is like an extension of the manufacturer's warranty.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally posted by funky102
Josh has his car up to 100K, see what kind of problems he's had (or if your'e reading this then feel free to report )
Good looking out, funky. You're right I have 105k miles on the car and the biggest problem I have had so for was a blower motor voltage regulator that went out (about $100 part, changed it myself in 5 minutes). Other than that I haven't had any problems, so an extended warranty to 75k or even 100k would have been wasted money.

My dad always told me that extended warranties were usually a waste of money for the following reason: insurance companies are there to make money - not make lots of claim payouts. So if you're playing the odds, you're probably not going to have many problems with the car within the time they'll cover it (assuming you haven't had many problems with the car already under the factory warranty). How many insurance companies offer extended warranties after 100k? (when problems would most likely occur?)

I guess it's all a crap shoot. Some people have gotten them and it's been a life saver. But I've never bought one and I drive the hell out of my cars. The only thing I'll ever buy an extended warranty on is a laptop computer. ;0)
Old 02-23-2004, 03:45 PM
ktm

How many transmissions and motors do you need to replace to equal the cost of the warranty? You do the math. You could buy 5 warranties and not use them and a blown motor on the 6th will pay for all of them. This is an expensive car. It's expensive to fix. Peace of mind and wallet on the big ticket stuff for another few years is worth a few K IMO.

I did the extended manufacturers warranty from Courtesy Motors in CA for $2300. No deductible and runs to 7yrs, 100K total and is transferable when I sell it. For you guys in your first year who don't plan on ricing the car up, that's a good way to go.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:58 AM

2001 CLK-430 Black
Is it possible to buy an extended warranty from a MB dealer even if you dont buy your car from them? I am thinking about buying an 01 CLK430 with 16k miles on it but want to cover myself with an extended warranty thats from a dealer.

Thanks in advance
RK
Old 02-24-2004, 09:47 AM

2001 CLK 320
kimber,

I bought my clk from a non-MB dealer and then got quotes from MB dealers on extended warranties. The warranties offered by MB dealers in my area were through 3rd party providers (one of them "Warrantech", I actually bought in the past for my C class).

The price was much more than what I found by going to the warranty providers myself (~$3000-3500 compared to ~$1500-2200), and the coverage was identical.

In the end, I passed on the ext. warranty altogether. Hopefully this doesn't come back to haunt me.

...Also note, the price on ext. warranties are negotiable. Dealers make a high margin on them, so will sometimes work with you on the price.

Chris
Old 03-05-2004, 04:40 PM

I bought the extended premium warranty deal...and I don't believe the navigation is covered...which really sucks too. (I think I was not feeling too comfortable with the problems people have been having reading this board)

I got it straight from the dealership. What's worse is they can't define specifically what is covered....the language is so freaking vague...what they consider parts that wear is left so far up for interpretation.

I don't know why, but Mercedes is slowly leaving a bad taste with me.

Redbrick..who is not sure if he still likes his CLK anymore.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by redbrick
I bought the extended premium warranty deal...and I don't believe the navigation is covered...which really sucks too. (I think I was not feeling too comfortable with the problems people have been having reading this board)

I got it straight from the dealership. What's worse is they can't define specifically what is covered....the language is so freaking vague...what they consider parts that wear is left so far up for interpretation.

I don't know why, but Mercedes is slowly leaving a bad taste with me.

Redbrick..who is not sure if he still likes his CLK anymore.
the warranty coverage is listed on the back of the contract. Take a look at that if you want to know exactly what it entails.

Btw, kimber45, the factory extended warranty is ONLY AVAILABLE TO THE ORIGINAL OWNER, and it NEEDS TO BE PURCHASED WITHIN THE FIRST 12 MONTHS OF OWNERSHIP!

if you buying a used car from a dealer, try and get a starmarked car.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:16 PM

2001 CLK-430 Black
Starmarked cares seem to go for approx 8-10k more at our local MB Dealer. I sure hope I dont regret making this damn purchase. I love the car like no other but I hope she doesnt let me down. How does yours ride at around 80MPH, mines a little bumpy. Maybe I need a wheel balance or something, and on the ride home I think I heard the shield near the cat start rattling when I hit the gas.

For 36k errr 38 when im done with the command upgrade I could have gotten a sweet lexus with a 7 year warranty!

Anyway, **** happens
Old 03-06-2004, 04:26 PM

2001 CLK 320
Got an AUL warranty when I bought my CLK used with about 55K miles on it.

The cost was about 1700 for the platinum coverage (or whatever it's called).

I have ALL my work done at a MB dealership, which is another advantage to a good aftermarket warranty. You can get work done at ANY ASE certified shop, which means you're not tied to a some local place or joe's "cheep-fix-em!"shop.

I just had to replace the tranny at 80K miles. 4700.00 for that. Probably another 2000.00 in various repairs since I bought the car August before last. So in roughly 20 months the car has had around $6,700.00 worth of repairs. (The tranny may be an exception, the MB dealer said they hadn't ever seen one die like that, it basically ate itself).

You do the math. It's an investment. If you think the car will need more than the cost of the warranty in service for the time you will own it, then it's worth it. It's ALSO worth it to not have to cough up 4700.00 for a factory remanned tranny plus install at a MB dealership all at once.

Seriously, these are high end cars that are pretty reliable. However, any servicing, even for minor stuff is tres' expensive. It makes me shudder to think how much an engine rebuild would be.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 03-06-2004, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
josh is exactly right. the extended warranty is only worth it if you have to make a claim that is more expensive than the cost you paid for the darn warranty. Other than that, it is a waste of money.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:44 AM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Originally posted by cscordo

My dealer wanted ~$3500
How long did they extend your coverage. That is great!