CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

No power , no electricity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 clk 320
No power , no electricity

Hey guys ,

I was sitting in my car , turned it on , my esp lights came on , and my head lights flickered and there was a weird clicking sounds from in the dashboard somewhere , and I turned the car off and now its dead . lights don't come on , four way flashers don't work no lights , nothing , no power .

Last few weeks the car would act up , one night I got home and I roll into the parking lot and put my car in park and the esp lights came on .
Another time I'm In park and the esp lights came on randomly .

And tonight we'll I turned my car on the lights flickered and the esp came on and when I turned the car off it died , no power whatsoever .

Thanks for any help !
Old 03-28-2016, 12:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 S430L, BMW 530i
Hey there

If it were me, I'd start in the following order

1. The battery. A dead cell perhaps? Is it old? Under-performing batteries do some weird things. If you can borrow a new'ish battery from someone then try that first. No difference then move on.
  2. A short behind the dash? An aftermarket stereo perhaps? I'd double check what's going on under there
  3. Check your fuses to see which ones (if any) have blown. If you have a dead fuse and replace it and it goes immediately then you know you have a short. If it doesn't blow then it might give you a more accurate place to start checking for shorts
After that, you might need the wisdom of some others on this forum.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:35 AM

2002 clk 320
Originally Posted by blackopal
Hey there

If it were me, I'd start in the following order

1. The battery. A dead cell perhaps? Is it old? Under-performing batteries do some weird things. If you can borrow a new'ish battery from someone then try that first. No difference then move on.
  2. A short behind the dash? An aftermarket stereo perhaps? I'd double check what's going on under there
  3. Check your fuses to see which ones (if any) have blown. If you have a dead fuse and replace it and it goes immediately then you know you have a short. If it doesn't blow then it might give you a more accurate place to start checking for shorts
After that, you might need the wisdom of some others on this forum.

Good luck.

Good point , I do have an aftermarket stereo , I've had it installed for years but only recently starting having this problem .

I've read on other threads that it could be a bad SAM module . Could be a simple blown fuse . There was a weird noise from where the front headlight knob is on the left and my abs esp lights came on . Bad brake light switch or bad SAM module Could be the culprits . The cars dead it has zero power I have no idea what to do .

I use to turn on the headlight knob the last time it died , and the car got poweragain , but not this time around .
Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 AM

2002 clk 320
Originally Posted by xponent
Good point , I do have an aftermarket stereo , I've had it installed for years but only recently starting having this problem .

I've read on other threads that it could be a bad SAM module . Could be a simple blown fuse . There was a weird noise from where the front headlight knob is on the left and my abs esp lights came on . Bad brake light switch or bad SAM module Could be the culprits . The cars dead it has zero power I have no idea what to do .

I use to turn on the headlight knob the last time it died , and the car got poweragain , but not this time around .

Does anyone know if I put jumper cables to the ground will it power the dash?

Any incite its greatly appreciated
Old 03-29-2016, 06:14 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Have you checked the battery with a volt meter?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:53 PM

2002 clk 320
Originally Posted by burgca
Have you checked the battery with a volt meter?
No but I checked it through the heater computer module on the dash , found a YouTube video showing how to check batt voltage and alternator voltage and what not through the screen for the heat and and I'm getting 14.1 volt from the altenator which is perfect !

But guys listen to this ok ...

I left my key in the ignition ( key wouldn't even turn to position 1) and I'm standing in front of my car and my flickers start flashing and my car dash lights up and I started the car . very very weird . it's like my car was possessed lol very weird
Old 04-01-2016, 08:10 PM

98 clk 320
I owned an Audi once that had an ignition switch go bad. Car didn't start no power to Windows lights anything. Ordered an aftermarket ignition switch for 10 bucks and all was well. Sounds similar to your issues.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:46 PM

2002 clk 320
Originally Posted by dub203
I owned an Audi once that had an ignition switch go bad. Car didn't start no power to Windows lights anything. Ordered an aftermarket ignition switch for 10 bucks and all was well. Sounds similar to your issues.

I had my battery tightened and all was well for a week , this morning I unlock my doors hop in turn the key , car goes dead ....I had power prior to turning my key , I'm assuming it's ignition related but really not sure and this problem sure is annoying
Old 04-30-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'99ML430, '02ML500, '88 XJS, '00 CLK 430, 2 steam turbine generators, & 2 GE 7FA.01 gas turbines
Check your engine ground cable. There's only one, under the ds motor mount. These get jerked around by Indy mechanics, as well as mb, whilst replacing motor mounts. Just do it, everyone, regardless what your problem is.