CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Questions on new CLK purchase....

Old 04-03-2002, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on new CLK purchase....

I live on a hilly section of central New Jersey. Can anyone please comment on CLK's performance in winter driving, especially on hilly roads? Is it suitable as a daily car? I commute about 25 miles each way to and from work. What'd be considered as a good discount off MSRP given that the new CLK is just around the corner? The current CLK shows very little depreciation. How would that impact by the release of the new model? Thank you all for your replies.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:46 PM

CLK Purchase

I ordered my '02 CLK in Dec. '01 for a mid March delivery. I told my dealer the same thing about the new CLK's being around the corner. To cut my negotiations short, he gave me a $2500 discount. I just got the car last weekend. I love it !!!!!! Have only driven 97 miles though. Therefore, cant really discuss performance. Besides, I live in South Florida, not too many hills here !!!!! Actually, I just came out of my 540i lease and as much I hate to say this, I must admit, there was a big difference. The Bimmer had a stiffer / tighter handling. Something you want in a sports sedan/coupe. I'm going to give the CLK a chance though since I have not yet broken it in !!! Hope this helps !!!! Good luck in your negotiations!!

P.S. Try to get your BNZ from a small dealership. They tend to negotiate better (more hungry) Also, do not limit yourself to the N.J. area !!! Use the internet if possible !!
Old 04-04-2002, 09:22 AM

2003 S430
It depends on what you are driving CLK 320, 430 or 55. The standard tires and wheels of the 430 and 55 definitely won't handle in the snow, they are summer tires. The 320 has all whether tires and under normal conditions (snow on flat roads) it works fine for me. But this winter in the one snow storm we had I had to go up a small hill from a stop and my rear end kept breaking out with the gear box being in winter mode (starting in 2nd gear). I moved forward bit by bit but was definitely sweating. Either way you should probably go with true winter tires. I believe a lot of people use the Blizzacks on 16" wheels.

Ron
Old 04-04-2002, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Not too long ago i lived in Philly and worked in New Jersey - early morning before going to school. I drove a Plymouth with a push-botton tranny! I never missed a day's work or a day in school.

Then, - during these good old days we had real snow storms. Today, with global warming, NOT to worry. Your CLK will get you there!

Arguably, the present model is preferred over the new by many.

It has its own assertive character and is not part of the MB BLEND, - as the new CLK appears to be: Undistinguished.

I would get one while they last. CLK55 Coupe production stopped in January.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:25 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 CLK 430
CLK 430 Handles Bad in Snow and Heavy Rain

I live in central Jersey and I have a 1999 CLK 430. Its actually for sale because my 02 CLK 430 is due in June. The car is an awesome dry weather car. If it is snowing or raining very hard outside, do not take the car out. I have gotten stuck twice trying to go up hills in the snow. The hills were not steep at all. I got so mad I had to laugh because everyone was driving by me and laughing at me. Noone offered to give me a hand and I was on a local street at lunch time and there were people walking by.

I'd imagine the CLK 55 would be similar. I keep Continental Contact Sport Tires on the 17 inch rims all year long. I guess if you put winter rims and tires on it you may be fine.

As far as a good deal, before I leased my 430 I went to 5 Benz dealerships throughout PA and NJ. I had several dealers calling me everyday with different prices. In the end it came down to two dealerships, Ray Catena and Princeton. Princeton beat Ray Cantena and is much closer to home. Good luck. CM
Old 04-04-2002, 05:54 PM

'02 CLK Discounts

Chris, what kind of discount did you get??? What did you order with your CLK.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:24 PM

Thanks All...(more)

Looks like I will be getting the ML500 instead. Thanks everyone for answering my questions.
Old 04-05-2002, 02:07 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 55
1. I live in central NJ
2. I commute 40 miles each way to work
3. I have a CLK55.
4. During the winter I use snow tires.
5. I have used the snow tires for two winters.

During this winter there was really no need for snow tires. During the winter of 2000/2001, I drove through heavy snow at least two times.

I had no problems. When it snowed, I drove very carefully, and did not try to push the limits. At times, going up small hills, I passed other cars ,which were having trouble getting up the hill.

I did not drive in the winter mode.

Once upon a time, most automobiles were rear drive, and people put on winter tires during the winter.

A set of good snow tires, and a lot of common sense, will allow you to use your CLK in the winter.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:31 PM

2000 Clk 430
I live in the snowbelt in Cleveland, Ohio. I use snow tires and have no problems. The stock tires are made for dry summer driving only. The TCS is great in the snow. Get the CLK!!!
Old 04-10-2002, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Listen guys... there is absolutely no reason what so ever, to doubt the CLK's ability to handle harsh conditions. It's been designed and built to do anything anywhere.

This car is so sophisticated ( as far as safety is concerned ), that I've literally stopped calling it a CLK 320.

I call it an AIRBUS 320!

Just thought I should share my passion for this machine with everyone.