CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Fix-it ticket for front license plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 03:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Fix-it ticket for front license plate

Last weekend my radar detector went off when I was going 90 mph on the interstate. I nailed the brake and passed the cop doing 65. A few minutes later, he pulls me over (crap, crap, crap!) and says "do you have a front license plate" and gave me a fix-it warning. (0$) Best ticket I ever got!

So anyway, has anyone figured out how to mount the front plate without drilling the bumper just to get a fix-it warning signed off?

I don't want to permanently mount it especially since a red-light camera ticket is $328 in California but they photo the front plate to get ya.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Put the plate on the bracket that came with the car and use automotive grade doublle sided tape to stick it on. It will look like it's permanently mounted and will stay on securely until you remove it.

By the way, a lot more of the cameras are photographing rear plates as well now.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 320
you can always stick the license on your dash when need be like parked at a meter. As long as it can be seen from the front it counts in California
Old 03-31-2004, 08:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
I am so glad we don't have those stupid front plate laws in Oklahoma.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209
Re: Fix-it ticket for front license plate

Originally posted by pigman
Last weekend my radar detector went off when I was going 90 mph on the interstate. I nailed the brake and passed the cop doing 65. A few minutes later, he pulls me over (crap, crap, crap!) and says "do you have a front license plate" and gave me a fix-it warning. (0$) Best ticket I ever got!

So anyway, has anyone figured out how to mount the front plate without drilling the bumper just to get a fix-it warning signed off?

I don't want to permanently mount it especially since a red-light camera ticket is $328 in California but they photo the front plate to get ya.
Ok, Ive gotten at least 5 tickets for no front plates. All you have to do is get fake screws and glue them onto the license bracket which looks as if they are screwed on, and after just use double side tape and slap it on the front of bumper. When i got down to the station to write it off, they usually just take one minute to look to see if its on and then write you off. After its done, I take my plates off. Now keep in mind, some officers might be very strict and actually touch your plates and see if its properly installed. I usually starts a small conversation with them and keep there minds off the plates. Hope all goes well and good luck.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: Fix-it ticket for front license plate

Originally posted by pigman

I've had my share of no front plate tickets... and i'd have to say, the easiest thing is to just use some double sided foam tape or something similar...

I just drive to the inspection station, park about a block away, and stick the license plate on... get it inspected, and pull it right back off before i leave...

the best inspection I had was at this CHP office, where I put the plate on with tape, then parked the car in the lot, tailing in, so the front plates face the station. The officer took a look at my ticket, he looked out the window, I pointed to my car, and he just signed it off...
Old 03-31-2004, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Originally posted by calboy
you can always stick the license on your dash when need be like parked at a meter. As long as it can be seen from the front it counts in California
I know for a fact sticking the plate in the front window doesn't work in Idaho. I assume other states will also catch on to this if they haven't already.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:09 PM
D42

CLK 430
heh I wanted to remove my front license plate......... I did and found a big scratch under it. So I put it back on
Old 03-31-2004, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally posted by michakaveli
I know for a fact sticking the plate in the front window doesn't work in Idaho. I assume other states will also catch on to this if they haven't already.
actually, leaving the front plate on the dash is not accepted by law enforcement in CA. As a matter of fact, if gives them more reason to pull you over. By law, the front licensce plate is required to be on the outside of the car, mounted in the front bumper location or near there. If you don't want to drive around with a front license plate, it's better to just leave it at home or in your trunk. Do not put it on the front dash. That is a straight giveaway that you don't have a front license plate!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 PM

2003 CLK 320
That's interesting you say that because it was the DMV lady in California that told me I could just have it showing in the window after I got a ticket for no front license plate while parked near UCLA. After I started putting the plate in the window no more tickets while parked in the same area.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by calboy
That's interesting you say that because it was the DMV lady in California that told me I could just have it showing in the window after I got a ticket for no front license plate while parked near UCLA. After I started putting the plate in the window no more tickets while parked in the same area.
it was to my understanding that you could place the license plate at the windshield too... maybe norcal & socal have different policies...???
Old 04-01-2004, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Calboy and Danny.... maybe i didn't word it correctly...my bad. I guess you can have your front license plate displayed clearly in your front windshield while parked w/o getting a parking ticket....however, while driving, the front windshield is NOT the "correct" place for it. You can get a fix-it ticket for that.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll tape it on and then back in to the 7/11 spaces so the cops that are always in there at night can just see it through the window and sign off on my ticket without going outside. BTW, the word "attached" in the California Vehicle Code is vague. Here's the text:

Display of License Plates
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That sucks dude, getting a ticket because of stupid things like that is BS. They should get those crazy lady drivers !

-Bruce
Old 04-03-2004, 05:47 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
haha...my bro's got one of those for his 528i. Just do what Joshk said, you should be fine.

also, I rather get a ticket than put the front plate up on the dash just in case of an accident, that thing might take ur head off if not give you some serious injuries when it comes flying.

Last edited by FrankW; 04-03-2004 at 05:50 AM.